Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 01:27 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capablanca View Post
She is basically following the precepts of most Crossfit gyms. There are NEVER any mirrors there because its NOT about how you look. Its about health and performance.

That chick has some good stuff there, wish more of our women CD members would take her health and workout routines to heart.
I have never seen girls posing and flexing in mirrors at gyms like Jersey Shore guidos do ... in fact the guido fools are the only people I have ever seen flexing in the mirrors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 01:54 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,901,359 times
She definitely has some kind of embarrassing tattoo.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:48 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,367,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
a lot of people want to see if the people they take advice from successfully practice what they preach. they want to think "if i follow what this person says, i can look like that also." from the looks of this girl, im guessing she isnt as strict with her diet as she probably tells others. so while she is far from fat, her belly probably isnt as impressive as she would like it to be. there is also the possibility of other abnormalities that she doesnt want to show.

but im not really asking a question. im saying that she is making up a reason to cover up the truth that she is hiding something. i dont think she isnt showing herself because thats not what she cares about. i see that her answer makes some people happy, im assuming these are people who also feel they fit into the category of "healthy and strong, but doesnt look good enough to be comfortable showing it off."
She deadlifts over 300 pounds. It's clear that her midsection, as the rest of her body is 'what she would like it to be'. She is probably 13-15% body fat.

Her sites do seem very 'market-y' oriented and hard to follow. But, as she says and as far as I can tell.. performance speaks for itself.

It's not like she's walking around in sweats all day, every day and in the gym. She does work out in feminine clothing, just not similar to those of CF women...

Most of the posts critiquing her are ridiculous.. especially considering most people here would be quick to say she's arrogant for exposing too much skin.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:59 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
She deadlifts over 300 pounds. It's clear that her midsection, as the rest of her body is 'what she would like it to be'. She is probably 13-15% body fat.

Her sites do seem very 'market-y' oriented and hard to follow. But, as she says and as far as I can tell.. performance speaks for itself.

It's not like she's walking around in sweats all day, every day and in the gym. She does work out in feminine clothing, just not similar to those of CF women...

Most of the posts critiquing her are ridiculous.. especially considering most people here would be quick to say she's arrogant for exposing too much skin.
all i know is that i read her little rant about not focusing on appearance and i didnt buy it. i dont think she is fat or anything. i think she either isnt as ripped in the mid section as she would like or she is hiding some kind of blemish. im sure she has spent a lot of time looking at her bare tummy and if she loved it so much she wouldnt bother making up a silly rant about it.

for most people, appearance is much more important than lifting heavy weights. also, lifting heavy weights doesnt require an attractive body.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 02-18-2013 at 08:10 PM..

Old 02-18-2013, 08:09 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
all i know is that i read her little rant about not focusing on appearance and i didnt buy it. i dont think she is fat or anything. i think she either isnt as ripped in the mid section as she would like or she is hiding some kind of blemish. im sure she has spent a lot of time looking at her bare tummy and if she loved it so much she wouldnt bother making up a silly rant about it.
She kept getting emails and comments asking her to "show her tummy." I bet she was annoyed....

Old 02-18-2013, 08:11 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
She kept getting emails and comments asking her to "show her tummy." I bet she was annoyed....
so she should just say that she is a muslim and isnt allowed to show it. no need to make up a phony baloney rant that i think its an obvious line of bs.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:22 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,367,314 times
Quote:
so she should just say that she is a muslim and isnt allowed to show it. no need to make up a phony baloney rant that i think its an obvious line of bs.
I don't know if I think it is a line of BS...

perhaps its similar to someone saying, "I really dont give a ****!"... well, those people are usually the ones that want everyone to know they 'dont give a ****' (when the reality is that they do). It's often better than someone else says, "Man, that guy really doesn't give a ****"... he doesn't have to go around saying it.

But, this is the day and age of social media, communication, marketing and etc. Maybe it's her marketing way to attract 'empowered females'.. or maybe it's her way of communicationg to other women that looks don't matter as much as strength... and that, the way she conducts strength training (empowering herself as a woman), it gives a second effect of making her look good... both physically and mentally. She knows she looks good and because she is strong, she doesn't need to show it off. So, that feeling she has, she wants to share with other women.

So, through her strength training she is able to become strong and 'empowered' and not have to prove herself to others through shallow vanity.

No one has to agree with me, that's just my outlook on it.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:42 PM

632 posts, read 1,030,195 times
I think its one of two things:

1. She's gay. Just like gay talk show host Ellen pretty much refuses to wear skirts or dresses, this chick feels the same way about typical and popular female gym/workout attire.

2. She IS trying to attract the crowd of women who sneer at the attractive female bodies you often see at the gym. You know, the typical hot bodied, sexy, good looking, lululemon tight wearing, ponytail dangling out of a cap, firm round booty having, tight flat abs having, women that men love and those certain women who hate them for being so sexy. I think she's trying to attract those types of women.

Just look at the original post here. The OP didnt say anything about her VERY good workout routines or very good nutrition plan. She mentioned her saying no to bikini pics because Im willing to be $1,000,000,000 dollars that the OP is NOT someone anyone wants to see in a bikini. Probably one of those women who hate the sexy attractive fit women I mentioned above. There was no "her routines are great, we women of CD should follow her plan to get healthy and fit", instead she posted "Oh I think its nice that she doesnt show off her body...blah blah blah....".

I think its vey very very weird that she refuses to show herself, but its obvious that she is in great shape.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:18 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capablanca View Post

Just look at the original post here. The OP didnt say anything about her VERY good workout routines or very good nutrition plan. She mentioned her saying no to bikini pics because Im willing to be $1,000,000,000 dollars that the OP is NOT someone anyone wants to see in a bikini. Probably one of those women who hate the sexy attractive fit women I mentioned above. There was no "her routines are great, we women of CD should follow her plan to get healthy and fit", instead she posted "Oh I think its nice that she doesnt show off her body...blah blah blah....".

I think its vey very very weird that she refuses to show herself, but its obvious that she is in great shape.
Yup that's me. I am such a hater on other women who are "fitter" than I am. And women who lift weights. Or do crossfit or whatever.

You don't know me very well at all. I love to see women getting stronger, for strength's sake. And also addressed a very very similar topic in my college thesis -- about the expectation for women, to "look pretty" even when they are top tier athletes.

Why I did post this thread, is because I don't think it is a job requirement for women, no matter what sort of shape they are in, to be objectified unless they want to be.

Just because you look like a fitness model doesn't mean you should be forced or accosted into posing in a bikini all the time. I am happy this trainer is paving her own way in this regard, and doing what she is comfortable with.

But hey, I must be a hater because I posted this thread.

***PS your comment about the "sexy fit attractive women" totally proves the point. Women are apparently only supposed to get stronger/fitter/etc to attract men. Not because they want to.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:03 AM

708 posts, read 878,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
My opinion is that most people in commercial gyms go there for looks and vanity.
Some might also be there for reasons of health, or because working out makes them feel good. There is some interesting research about how beneficial weight training can be for older people. While looking good might be a side benefit for some...who knows what the original reason was that motivated them to go to the gym.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness