Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 12:19 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,840,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
I'm calling bs on all these 2-3 hour per day workouts I'm seeing here. You people do have jobs, right?
yep. I go after work. but my longest workout is a measly 2 hours on leg day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 08:57 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,968,225 times
Quote:
I'm calling bs on all these 2-3 hour per day workouts I'm seeing here. You people do have jobs, right?

Im with you. If people are needing that long to get a workout done, they are either A. wasting lots of time between sets/exercises or B.) they are overtraining.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:12 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
Im with you. If people are needing that long to get a workout done, they are either A. wasting lots of time between sets/exercises or B.) they are overtraining.
One of my PAs is an ex body-builder. He still is big and doesn't carry much fat.
He goes right after work (without going home first). Says never more than 45 minutes to an hour.
He's BIG (muscular big). Doesn't do much other cardio because of how he trails one exercise right into another - says that keeps his heart rate jacked up.

If he doesn't need 3 hours a day, I doubt anyone who isn't competing does.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:01 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,609,958 times
1-2 hours every other day with cardio & strength training mixed. Or call it circuit training if you want.

I'll try to get in at least 30 mins of walking or dancing on the off days when I can.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:11 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,368,397 times
Quote:
Am I reading this right? Are some of you spending 3 hours per workout in the gym? How many days per week? Overtrained, much?
Depends on the conditioning of that person. For most, 3 hours of straight and strict, strength training is probably over training.

For those semi-elite and elite athletes, 3 hours if just another day.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:14 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,368,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I know trainers and ex-body builders who all say that more than an hour is either a waste of time or a lack of efficiency.
I'm not sure many ex-bodybuilders (especially ones of the 80's and 90's) are familiar with the larger scope of weight training. Weight training does not only include hypertrophy (bodybuilding and aesthetics), but also strength training and technique work. Conditioning is included as well (if we consider strength and conditioning as an entirety).

I won't go into specific details, but generally it's what the person does--specific to their goals and conditioning--in that workout, that determines the efficiency. It's not an absolute time over a broad range of a population with different goals, genetics, conditioning and etc.

A female I train with (at the olympic gym) is a dietician. The other day, some professional UFC fighters came in (unexpected with cameras for a television show) for a nutrition plan. They train 6-8 hours per day. That is specific to their conditioning, goals, sport and etc. National level Olympic weightlifters train 10-15 times per week, anywhere from 1 - 2 hours (on average). That's just national level, of the United States. If we considered the Chinese, Russians... theirs could be longer.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
A female I train with (at the olympic gym) is a dietician. The other day, some professional UFC fighters came in (unexpected with cameras for a television show) for a nutrition plan. They train 6-8 hours per day. That is specific to their conditioning, goals, sport and etc. National level Olympic weightlifters train 10-15 times per week, anywhere from 1 - 2 hours (on average). That's just national level, of the United States. If we considered the Chinese, Russians... theirs could be longer.
Yes, and football players work out/practice all day, too.
Professional athletes are a different matter than Joe Schmoe just trying to stay in shape.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:31 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,106,671 times
2 or 3 hours?? Good grief, are some of you professional athletes? I walk to work, so that's 2 miles a day of walking, then if it's nice weather I'll walk my dog, and then I try to do 30 minutes to an hour in the gym...I like the elliptical a lot, sometimes I jog or do the bike...depends on my mood. I don't really consider the walk to work part of my work out because it's part of my daily routine. I don't want to take more than an hour for the gym. I have other things I want to be doing.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:07 AM

Oh, I would love to work out 3 or 4 hours a day. I LOVE working out.
But I also have a job with nutty hours and a 15 month old.
Never mind cooking fresh meals and other household chores.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:08 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,628,952 times
One thing that should be considered is that workout time should not be confused with total gym time. Part of the time at the gym might be spent socializing which I don't do but some people do and also sometimes you have to wait for a piece of equipment that is being use by someone else therefore making your stay at the gym longer that the actual workout. I don't see a two to three hour workout as a bad thing necessarily as long as it is time well spent. I usually split my routine in 2 sessions morning and evening. On some days it is challenging but it gives me 3 days off from weight training which I love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness