Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 08:10 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I would think it was pretty strange, but it wouldn't disgust me unless someone had like - a really bad case of toe-jam or something. But those floor mats have dried stinky man-sweat dripped all over them, underarm goo, mixed with dandruff and flaked skin and sneeze-spit and grunt-drool and all kinds of nasty stuff. I think the last thing I'd worry about is the aesthetics of someone's bare feet.

Your palms flat on a mat where someone's shoes were an hour ago, is a more disgusting notion than someone's bare feet. Those shoes generally are all over the place - walking on dog-pee and in puddles filled with bacteria and on sidewalks where sick people might spit and bird poop...and you put your palm down on all of that when you do your pushups and planks.

You are -less- likely to get these things on your hands, when the person who was standing there before you got there was barefoot.
I don't know. Can you get an infection from a place where the sole of someone's shoe was placed? I don't care what they may have walked in, dog pee or puddles or bird poop. They walk on the shoes and I would think it would wear off by the time they got to the gym. It's not "raw" like the sweat from a person's infected bare foot. It would depend upon how long the bacteria, virus, or fungus could survive. I know even a sock that someone with athlete's foot has worn could give athlete's foot to the next person who wore it or if the sweat soaked through to the floor. But the dry sole of a shoe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 09:08 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,795 times
Barefoot trainning is an old technique. Arnold Shwarzenegger used to squat barefooted and so does Wrestler John Cena, it is not very common anymore but I would not care. To me it is not a big deal.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:13 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Bare feet don't bother me.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:07 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
someone else's stinky sweaty feet in my face would bother me.

Barefoot training is totally different

Old 03-09-2013, 12:11 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
I swear we are creating a race of germaphobes. If you dont want to be barefoot then dont. If you have shoes on and the other folks dont, I am not sure why that is a problem. Are their feet cooties going to permeate through your shoes?
Exactly what I was thinking. If you're wearing shoes who cares?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
I do all of my standing barbell work in just socks… squats, deads, presses, bent over rows, shrugs, etc. Stability is increased drastically without them and I can put my flat feet to use.
I do squats, deadlifts, cleans, etc. in my socks too. I hate doing those in shoes.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:39 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
I swear we are creating a race of germaphobes. If you dont want to be barefoot then dont. If you have shoes on and the other folks dont, I am not sure why that is a problem. Are their feet cooties going to permeate through your shoes?

Personally I hate shoes and would be barefoot everywhere if I could be.
Man and I thought I was the only one who thought like this. I feel better now, yeah people nowadays are so terrified of germs they wipe down every square inch of every machine before they even touch it. It is a surprise we an immune system with the way people try to protect themselves from any little germ. I'm surprised people still even shake hands.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:43 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
Man and I thought I was the only one who thought like this. I feel better now, yeah people nowadays are so terrified of germs they wipe down every square inch of every machine before they even touch it. It is a surprise we an immune system with the way people try to protect themselves from any little germ. I'm surprised people still even shake hands.
I feel the same. Ew, germs. But there have always been rules, and rightly so, about footwear around swimming pools and locker rooms. That's because of athlete's foot which is a horrible itching fungus that's hard to get rid of once you get it. I've never had it but I've always been careful.

OTOH, the people who are so eeeeew about germs that they won't let their kids go anywhere and they make people take their shoes off in their houses so they don't bring in "germs" are nutty. They're not learning this in school which is where we learned about athlete's foot, they're hearing urban legends maybe? Actually, does anyone know where this craziness is coming from?

Old 03-09-2013, 10:14 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I've done so much martial arts, I probably wouldn't think anything except, "Huh, that seems dangerous" as they walked across the weightlifting part of the gym. Never mind dropping a weight on your foot...just the toe stubbing potential is very high (and your shoes actually do protect you that way).

Old 03-09-2013, 10:15 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

OTOH, the people who are so eeeeew about germs that they won't let their kids go anywhere and they make people take their shoes off in their houses so they don't bring in "germs" are nutty. They're not learning this in school which is where we learned about athlete's foot, they're hearing urban legends maybe? Actually, does anyone know where this craziness is coming from?
My kid eats dirt and the dog french kisses him on occasion...but I still don't want your shoes in my house. ESPECIALLY not on my carpet. That's disgusting.
I sit on my floor, lie and stretch on my floor, my child plays on the floor...I keep my floors very clean. I don't want your gas station bathroom shoes near where my face might be 10 minutes later.

Do you put your shoes on your pillows?

Craziness? There are many world cultures that eschew shoes in the home.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:58 AM

456 posts, read 1,170,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
I go to a gym chain in NYC called Equinox. I've been involved in fitness for most of my life, and have never seen this anywhere else....but the gym allows members to walk around in bare feet. In my opinion, it is the absolute most disguisting thing I have ever seen and has made me want to cancel my membership several times.
ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING. Um hello? Foot fungus! And that stuff doesn't just easily go away. Imagine felling like you are stepping into lava every time you stand up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness