Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 01:52 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The thread is strictly about weight, not BF% or anything else.
Yes, but I don't think the "masses" know that. When people talk about losing weight, they think they mean bodyfat as if it's universally a good thing when weight is lost cause it must be bodyfat. No, it could be a combination of muscle loss, bone density loss, or bodyfat loss. And if you just follow that simplistic calories in/calories out logic (which disregards the types of nutrients, or lack of, in the foods you eat), you'll probably lose weight from all 3 categories which is not healthy. Even informed people get this mindset wrong from time to time.

So do you want to lose "weight", or do you want to be healthy and look great naked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 07:02 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I recently read an article by a fitness instructor who says if you're looking to lose weight, it's 80% diet and only 20% exercise. Interesting since he is a fitness instructor and trainer and not a dietician. In the article he says he sees the same overweight people sweating on the elliptical machines and treadmills day after day, week after week, month after month ... and they are still overweight.

What is your opinion?
Careful this is like religion and politics. I tried to have a similar discussion about eating only 1000-1500 calories and do moderate exercise and people wanted to lynch me. Oh no you have to do a certain workout and heavy reps and eat 200g of protein yada yada. BS I have done all that, and the only thing that works is to consume less calories than you burn.

My brother was a personal trainer for 10 years and he told me the same confidentially. Why would he lie to me, his brother, when he was paid to $65 hour to train rich people in OC, CA?

The main reason I like to workout 3-5 times a week has nothing to do with weight-loss, I get runner's high from a good cardio workout and I eat less, sometimes, because my food digests better. I actually feel more full after working out. I guess I eat too fast?

Last edited by Teckeeee; 03-13-2013 at 07:41 PM..

Old 03-13-2013, 07:14 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
BS I have done all that, and the only thing that works is to consume less calories than you eat.
That is quite the trick! You need to share the secret...

Old 03-13-2013, 07:24 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
I think it's called "binge and purge."

Old 03-13-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Shocking revelation it doesn't matter much at all where those calories come from. They could come from junk food or from all protein. Now you need a small amount of protein but not much unless you are some roid freak. Don't believe me google the Kansas professor that lost weight eating junk food and restricting his calories. Here I will save everyone the search Twinkie diet helps nutrition professor lose 27 pounds - CNN.com

Yes eat your veggies and protein but don't make it a freakin cult like so many do.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I think it's called "binge and purge."
Ha ha funny guy. Nothing more than calorie restriction.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:37 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,960 times
But he still consumed all the calories he ate. You are telling us to consume LESS calories than we eat. Therein lies the mystery.

Quote:
Shocking revelation it doesn't matter much at all where those calories come from. They could come from junk food or from all protein. Now you need a small amount of protein but not much unless you are some roid freak. Don't believe me google the Kansas professor that lost weight eating junk food and restricting his calories. Here I will save everyone the search Twinkie diet helps nutrition professor lose 27 pounds - CNN.com

Yes eat your veggies and protein but don't make it a freakin cult like so many do.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
But he still consumed all the calories he ate. You are telling us to consume LESS calories than we eat. Therein lies the mystery.
Oh snap! Good one I missed that corrected above consume less calories than you burn.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:30 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,719,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
And the equation is actually wrong. It's 70% diet, 20% exercise and 10% genetics.
I'd agree with that. It's more difficult for some people to lose weight than it is for others. It can still be done though.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:39 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,719,543 times
Quote:
They could come from junk food or from all protein.
That may be true but a person will get higher food value from healthy food than from junk food. To say it another way, to intake X amount of nutrients a person will need to consume less of the healthier food then of the twinkie.....pound for pound the healthy food has more nutrients therefor you need to consume less of it etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness