Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 09:02 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,726,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by League54 View Post
How or why is a fit appearance (on women) manly ?

I notice quite a few guys on message boards go out of their way to let others know their disdain for women who have (non steroidal) muscles.

Does anyone DIS-agree with the opinion that fit or athletic women look masculine or unattactive ?

Can insecurity or physical shortcomings play a role in a guys perception of a fit woman looking masculine ?
I disagree. These are the sweeping generalizations that cause friction in these forums. The appearance of a woman who is fit and athletic will depend on several factors:

Her genetics (how much muscle her body naturally carries)
How she works out to build that muscle
Her nutrition
Whether or not she uses performance enhancing substances
How she ultimately wants her body to look

All of these factors come into play among the millions of individual women who work out, so the variations of how a fit woman will look can be infinite.

So considering this, how can a person say with any credibility that all fit women look masculine? I myself workout and have a tiny waist and wide hips. How could I ever look masculine, unless I resort to taking performance enhancers or tampering with hormone balances? The answer is: I would not, and could not!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 11:59 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I don't think it's the look that might turn off some, it's the idea that the muscular-looking woman spends her free time working out. that's fine, if that's what she likes to do.
Really? You see an Amazon Goddess strutting her stuff on a nice spring day and you imagine that if you were with her you'd be left alone all the time while she went to Crunch Gym to... buff herself. Here's how I solved that cunundrum... I go with her. But, no, I don't think most people, men or women, make such insightful assessments of someone they are looking at based solely on appearance.

H

Old 03-27-2013, 12:05 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
So considering this, how can a person say with any credibility that all fit women look masculine? I myself workout and have a tiny waist and wide hips. How could I ever look masculine, unless I resort to taking performance enhancers or tampering with hormone balances? The answer is: I would not, and could not!
I know... it's so igorant an argument, but it is appallingly frequent. I mean... I am a real fan of women far more muscular than even the examples posted earlier. You might have a hard time calling Denise Masino "feminine" but it is equally ludicrous to call her "masculine" nor can one rationally call a woman as objectively beautiful as DM a "freak". Doing so simply marks the name caller as a cretin with limited powers (biased powers) of observation. Like calling the Mona Lisa a scag. There are people who can do it and really mean it. And what... Denise goes on making MILLIONS because lots of men (and women) think she is an amazing beauty. The haters go on being lonely haters.

H

Old 03-27-2013, 03:36 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Oh yea, men love muscled women. Just like women love men with boobs. And if a woman doesn't like men with manboobs, its because she's insecure about her body.

The irony here of course is that the OP is on a fishing trip because of some insecurity. Its ok OP, just be happy however you look, no need to somehow disaffirm others if they don't like your look. Just be you.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:12 PM

324 posts, read 877,003 times
I just find it crazy.
An exercise forum with guys, who are turned off, by women who look like they exercise.

Never did I think any man would consider the pics I posted to be manly....

Someone mentioned "bulging biceps" is not for them. NONE of the women posted have "bulging biceps."

1 or 2 of those girls is like 5'4 130...low body fat. Unless you are a guy intimidated by a 130lb woman...how could anyone find those girls to be masculine ?

Old 03-27-2013, 05:43 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Time for me to bring up one of my favorite sociology books:
Amazon.com: The Stronger Women Get, the More Men Love Football: Sexism and the American Culture of Sports (9780380725274): Mariah Burton Nelson: Books

Calling women who have "visible muscle" is another way to control women's bodies. It just reinforces the message that a woman's sole purpose is to serve as eye candy for me. Just look at the images of "fit" women in this thread. Some women don't even have faces. Only butts or thighs or abs.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:48 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post

Does the feminine woman enjoy building up her muscles?
This "feminine" woman hit the free weights:

Old 03-27-2013, 06:36 PM

292 posts, read 1,066,404 times
Oh nooooo Not the Marilyn pics! Those two are my favs of her.

Ya know she was a size 12 back in the 50's...in today's standards that is a 16! Gotta love vanity sizing.
At least she lifted!

Old 03-27-2013, 09:15 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by League54 View Post
I just find it crazy.
An exercise forum with guys, who are turned off, by women who look like they exercise.

Never did I think any man would consider the pics I posted to be manly....

Someone mentioned "bulging biceps" is not for them. NONE of the women posted have "bulging biceps."

1 or 2 of those girls is like 5'4 130...low body fat. Unless you are a guy intimidated by a 130lb woman...how could anyone find those girls to be masculine ?
The muscular women look ok. I wouldn't kick them out of bed, but I prefer the examples of the "non fit" women (your label) to them. I just don't like to see bulging muscles on women -- this is from a guy who lifts five to six times a week.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:39 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
This "feminine" woman hit the free weights:
Sheezzz, those aren't weights!!! 2.5 lb plates, yea, right ......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness