Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 08:53 PM

3 posts, read 3,511 times

Advertisements

I think you truly look great and was surprised to see the pictures after reading the post. Why would you be down on how you look? You are very attractive. It's kind of sad that you don't think so yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 09:18 PM

2,319 posts, read 2,558,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
I finally gathered the courage to put some revealing photos out here, in hopes of maybe receiving some exercise advice. I honestly can't understand what the hell is wrong with my body shape. No matter how much weight I lose or what exercise I do, I'm still not happy with my shape. I feel like I'm 'skinny-fat' but also I guess part of it is just the way my skeleton is built. I was always a pear shape, but in the last several years I also feel like my torso and ribcage has expanded and that whole part between my waist and knees is just TOO frigging wide! But I don't know how to reduce it! I do cardio and some weights, I have a little muscle definition on my abs (though you can't see it on the photo, better visible in side view), my arms and shoulders are fairly defined.

I'm just confused...everyone around me tells me I'm really skinny and I should put on some weight On top, my ribs and verterbrae are really visible. But from the waist down I feel like I have so much fat, and I can grab handfuls from my love handles and lower back, and my legs look chubby to me

I'm 5'4 and around 110-112 lbs, thought it fluctuates a lot daily, between 108-115, due to water weight I think. The photo is taken at 114, though I was only 111 the day before?? Last time I got my body fat measured it was 18%, tho that was over a year ago. If it matters I'm almost 30 and have a child.

Am I crazy for thinking I look 'wide'? Is it just my build and I need to make peace with it?? Heeelp!

What you are seeing is because you appear to be high-waisted. Put on a pair of hi-cut briefs and stand up straight and take another photo and you may see yourself differently...but you are high waisted and that's how you are built. I'm the same height as you and would love to weigh what you weigh! You are fine just like you are -- celebrate yourself!

Old 04-09-2013, 09:46 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times
Look good to me.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:55 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,426,017 times
OP you have a nice body. Stop stressing.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:12 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yournotserious View Post
I think you truly look great and was surprised to see the pictures after reading the post. Why would you be down on how you look? You are very attractive. It's kind of sad that you don't think so yourself.
Thanks! Don't get me wrong, I don't think I look bad or anything, and I'm very grateful I was able to bounce back pretty easily after having a baby, and overall I'm happy with how I look. This was mostly just bugging me because I feel that at my weight, I should be a lot smaller, and I couldn't figure out where this disproportion was coming from. Like, I feel like I look heavier than I actually am. I used to weigh about 15 lbs more in my early twenties, and always thought that if I just lost some weight I would look the way I want to look. So when I finally did, it was disappointing that I still don't look like my ideal. I've mistakenly forgotten to account for skeletal shape in my fantasies

Old 04-09-2013, 10:34 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
Bigger boobs would balance you out.
Ohh,look, first stupid post out of 8 pages.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:53 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Ohh,look, first stupid post out of 8 pages.
Why is it stupid. I was gonna suggest the same. Nice boobs can take the attention off of some other areas.

For the OP, if u still have handles, dont do overkill with exercise. At some point, you admit the body is what it is, or just turn to lipo. No shame in that. Worked well for the Rock and John Schneider from Smallville

Boobs and lipo and you'll be 100%

Old 04-10-2013, 07:08 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Thanks; everyone is suggesting strength training, but I'm curious, which exercises do I need to target the problem areas? Squats? Do I need free weights or can I do machines like the leg press? (our gym doesn't have free weights). Also are exercises like sit-ups considered strength training or not? It seems like most 'strength training' focuses on the upper body which I'm fairly happy with as it is. I don't know many that target the hips/midsection? I do know it's better to work the whole body, but since I have limited time (and energy!) I'd rather put in the effort for the exercises that will make the most difference visually.

Someone already said about machines possible issues but you can use them. I would just work with a trainer at your gym to make sure you are using them right. If you don't want to bulk up on top and just want the bottom half toned there are plenty of machine type exercises that work that area. BUT you have to be eating the proper diet to support a lean body. Generally its just a higher protein, lowered carb at the proper calorie intake. Some people have to go "low" carb, but you probably won't have to to get lean. Without the lean way of eating it would take a lot more time on cardio and you would risk losing more lean tissue or getting underweight. I can't stress enough how important the diet component is for your desired look. Especially since you are already so tiny.

Strength training:
Strength training - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you want to try something relaxing and enjoyable try swimming, martial arts or dance. All those give a really nice balance muscular body. Its not like weightloss though. Getting lean or adding muscle progresses much slower than general weight loss. Give it time.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:41 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Why is it stupid. I was gonna suggest the same. Nice boobs can take the attention off of some other areas.

For the OP, if u still have handles, dont do overkill with exercise. At some point, you admit the body is what it is, or just turn to lipo. No shame in that. Worked well for the Rock and John Schneider from Smallville

Boobs and lipo and you'll be 100%
And how will she get them bigger breasts? Sounds like to me you are suggesting breast implants.
She alreasy stated she was happy with her small breasts.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:54 AM

32 posts, read 55,155 times
You've got to be kidding.

You're drop dead gorgeous.

Whenever someone commented on my body or a stain on my clothes, I've always told them "I don't have to look at it -

you do".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness