Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 09:49 AM

30 posts, read 167,251 times

Advertisements

What's the quickest way to increase the number of push ups I can handle? Should I do as many sets of them as I can or should I as many reps within a set?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 09:57 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearer_skies_13 View Post
Should I do as many sets of them as I can or should I as many reps within a set?
If you want to increase the total number you do, then go for the max you can do in one set. Essentially max out. At that point you shouldn't be able to do much more that day (meaning, you shouldn't be able to do many more sets), and in theory you shouldn't be able to do these again the next day cause you'll be sore. Get a day of rest, then try to beat that previous number.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:29 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
What i'll do is aim for 30 repetitions in one set with a total of 3 sets in a day. It is said that you are in good shape if you can do at least 30.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
If you want to increase the total number you do, then go for the max you can do in one set. Essentially max out. At that point you shouldn't be able to do much more that day (meaning, you shouldn't be able to do many more sets), and in theory you shouldn't be able to do these again the next day cause you'll be sore. Get a day of rest, then try to beat that previous number.
Thanks, I've been doing the method you described and alternating it 2 days later with doing as many sets of 10 that I can handle. Two days after that, I switch back to maxing out in one set (then adding a couple short sets afterwards to make sure I really did max out).

Do you think my combination method will help or hurt? My goal is to do 50 consecutively.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:52 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times
Quote:
What's the quickest way to increase the number of push ups I can handle? Should I do as many sets of them as I can or should I as many reps within a set?
Also vary your hand placement each set as well. Do a few narrow, wide, medium, etc. Be sure to keep your whole body tight through each rep.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:17 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
I don't know. I once asked a coach a similar question about running intervals. I wanted to run 10 half-mile repeats at about 5.5 min/mile pace (11 mph). I asked if I should a)run 10 repeats at the same pace, gradually increasing that pace week by week, or b)run the last (10th) repeat at 11 mph, then, the last two, then three, and so on, till I was running all 10 repeats at my goal of 11 mph. The answer from the coach was that it didn't really matter. I ended up going with the latter approach, only because I found it agreeable to increase speed later in the workout when I was well warmed-up.

As for doing pushups, it's a very good exercise, but I advise getting a device called the 'perfect pushup,' which allows you to do them without bending the wrist so much. Or you can avoid bending your wrists so much by doing them inclined instead of flat on the floor. For example, I used to do push ups w/ my hands on a picnic table and feet on the ground.

A few years ago I really did a number on the tendon in my left wrist by doing too many conventional-style pushups. It took over a year to heal. After that I switched to using the perfect push up or incline method.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:46 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
As for doing pushups, it's a very good exercise, but I advise getting a device called the 'perfect pushup,' which allows you to do them without bending the wrist so much. Or you can avoid bending your wrists so much by doing them inclined instead of flat on the floor. For example, I used to do push ups w/ my hands on a picnic table and feet on the ground.
Or, if you're at the gym, just grab 2 dumbells of any weight (not circular, but hexagonal which most gyms have) and do pushups with your hands gripping the dumbells.

It's easier on the wrists for sure, but I just can't help but feel like I'm cheating when doing it this way.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:12 PM

645 posts, read 1,964,727 times
Once I was able to do 40 regular pushups I started doing decline push-ups and now I can do 65 regular push ups. I only do one set at the beginning of my workout.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:23 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
First question is why do you want to increase the number of pushups you can do? The only reason I can think of is for a physical fitness test.

The only time I do pushups is when I don't have access to weights. I could never understand guys who go to the gym and do pushups. If you can do 50 or a 100 pushups, so what? Once you can do about 15 pushups, they no longer have any benefit. With weights I increase the weight if I can do more that 6-8 reps. It is not so easy to do that with pushups unless you wear a weighted vest or elevate the lower part of your body. The same is true with dips. Once I could do 15 reps, I bought a belt that allows me to hang weights from the belt. Exercise is all about increaing the resistance.

Regarding your original question, I would do both but always do as many reps as possible. If you can do 30 pushups, it won't do you much good to do 5 sets of 10 pushups. Do 3 sets of as many reps as you can with a minute or two rest between sets.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
First question is why do you want to increase the number of pushups you can do? The only reason I can think of is for a physical fitness test.
Yes, it's for the Army PT test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness