Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2013, 06:40 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,753 times

Advertisements

I am wondering how common it is for grown adults to start gymnastics classes? It always seemed to be a thing for toddlers and school age kids but would it sound funny for an adult to start beginner classes? I mean, if you met someone in their 20s who told you they go to adult tumbling class, does that sound bizarre? Especially if the adult is not already in the fittest shape. Be honest, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 07:31 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
I'm 52, and can still do a cartwheel. I discovered this just a month or two ago. The last time I had done one was when I was in my 20's. I can also still do a backbend, but it cramped my muscle and there was this terrifying moment of absolute horror when I thought for sure the only way to UNbend, was to break my spine. I won't do that again. I can also still do a split, almost - my legs are slightly bent. I can also still do a roundup, and a handstand against the wall.

Not bad for an "almost" old lady huh! Of course that was the extent of my gymnastic abilities when I was a kid too. I'm a bit stiffer, and I stretched my groin *just* a little too far for comfort with the last cartwheel. But I can still do it, by gum!

If you CAN do it - then DO IT. Just be extra careful - your body isn't what it was when you were a little kid. As you age you get less limber, even if you're crazy limber to begin with. Do lots of stretching exercises and warm up before you start bouncing around in the air.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:55 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,349,123 times
If you can find adult beginner gymnastics classes, go for it! That would be awesome! Have fun - but be careful and ease into it slowly.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:46 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
I would suggest starting with beginning Hatha yoga for a couple of months to limber up. I'd also get a DEX scan and make sure your bones can handle the stress.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:06 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
I am wondering how common it is for grown adults to start gymnastics classes? It always seemed to be a thing for toddlers and school age kids but would it sound funny for an adult to start beginner classes? I mean, if you met someone in their 20s who told you they go to adult tumbling class, does that sound bizarre? Especially if the adult is not already in the fittest shape. Be honest, please.
The adult version is Crossfit. A good CF box (gym) will scale....or breakdown the movement to your capacity... Beginners are not expected to do everything at the same level as the experienced CF'ers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness