Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 10:01 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Google Power Vinyasa. If you can't do the poses, then it doesn't really matter. You need to be able to do the tough poses to get the full benefit. Vinyasa (Power) Yoga Boosts Calorie Burning - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com
That link is all well and good, but it still doesn't tell me what 'power' or 'vinyasa' yoga are. I've done classes called 'vinyasa' that didn't involve headstands or forearm stands. They were just fast flows of things I already knew how to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 10:38 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
That link is all well and good, but it still doesn't tell me what 'power' or 'vinyasa' yoga are. I've done classes called 'vinyasa' that didn't involve headstands or forearm stands. They were just fast flows of things I already knew how to do.
Power Vinyasa adds more challenging poses--like the ones you claim to not be able to do.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Power Vinyasa adds more challenging poses--like the ones you claim to not be able to do.
OK, don't answer my question then. No sweat off my nose.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
OK, don't answer my question then. No sweat off my nose.
I have answered your question. I don't know what more I can tell you. Power Vinyasa is flow yoga with advances poses. Google it yourself if you are that interested, but bottom line, you've already said you can't do the poses and don't want to put the effort into adding the flexibility to be able to do them, so what does it matter?

Old 05-16-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I have answered your question. I don't know what more I can tell you. Power Vinyasa is flow yoga with advances poses. Google it yourself if you are that interested, but bottom line, you've already said you can't do the poses and don't want to put the effort into adding the flexibility to be able to do them, so what does it matter?
Ugh, this forum really brings out the worst in people sometimes.

If you would re-read my posts from this forum and in other threads, I have specifically stated that:

A.) I have googled this subject before and found a variety of workouts calling themselves "power yoga" or "vinyasa" that I did not find challenging.

B.) You said I was wrong and stated that "vinyasa" or "power vinyasa" is actually a great calorie burner.

C.) I asked you for specific examples and you deflected me at every turn.

D.) I stated that I cannot do some poses because I lack the flexibility (which I'm working on improving, though I'm sure you assume otherwise), and you assume that I cannot do headstands or forearm stands due to a lack of discipline or laziness. That isn't it at all. I cannot do them due to a birth injury. I have nerve damage and missing muscles that other people do not have. In order for me to do these poses someday, it will require much more work and effort on my part than it would for someone who did not have this challenge to overcome.

But hey, assume away. You'll be doing it where I can't see you.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:04 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,560,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Yoga is very popular in India, where it originated: Lifespan of Indian: 65

Not so popular in the United States: Lifespan of USian: 78

Apple meet Orange.

btw, 99% of Americans aren't practicing yoga, they're practicing Asana

Old 05-16-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Ugh, this forum really brings out the worst in people sometimes.

If you would re-read my posts from this forum and in other threads, I have specifically stated that:

A.) I have googled this subject before and found a variety of workouts calling themselves "power yoga" or "vinyasa" that I did not find challenging.

B.) You said I was wrong and stated that "vinyasa" or "power vinyasa" is actually a great calorie burner.

C.) I asked you for specific examples and you deflected me at every turn.

D.) I stated that I cannot do some poses because I lack the flexibility (which I'm working on improving, though I'm sure you assume otherwise), and you assume that I cannot do headstands or forearm stands due to a lack of discipline or laziness. That isn't it at all. I cannot do them due to a birth injury. I have nerve damage and missing muscles that other people do not have. In order for me to do these poses someday, it will require much more work and effort on my part than it would for someone who did not have this challenge to overcome.

But hey, assume away. You'll be doing it where I can't see you.
I never assumed anything of the sort. If you are unable to do those types of poses, you will be unable to perform the poses for Power Vinyasa to give you the calorie burn you are looking for.

I have no desire or reason to go "read your other threads." I gave you an article that proves it's a great calorie burner, that wasn't enough. Go to a yoga studio if you want to know what it is and are too lazy to Google it. I don't know how you can say something is easy yet in the next breath say you can't do it.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:33 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,105,782 times
I've just started Yoga, and have found it reasonably difficult...... but for the first time in a long time I am out of pain... (muscle pain from back, hamstring, calves... eventually plantar fascitis)... Love it. I can't believe it took me so long to get into Yoga... best thing is I have been for runs and haven't been in pain for the next 3 days.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:54 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,977,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
I've just started Yoga, and have found it reasonably difficult...... but for the first time in a long time I am out of pain... (muscle pain from back, hamstring, calves... eventually plantar fascitis)... Love it. I can't believe it took me so long to get into Yoga... best thing is I have been for runs and haven't been in pain for the next 3 days.
Same here.
Used to have back and neck pain.
My plantar fascitis acts up though with some poses.
There are some I will not do because my foot has to bend backwards, and I know I'll be
Limping for a few weeks after that move!!!!
Glad u found a great source of exercise

Old 05-17-2013, 07:11 AM

87 posts, read 134,565 times
It really helps us to keep fit and healthy as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness