Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 01:04 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I usually dont run on weekends either, as I let my body recover those days. . . .
Recover from what?

Quote:
However, come Monday, I can always feel how haggard I feel running. For example the Friday before, I'm running great! Long distances, good breathing feeling good....but on mondays, I sweat like a pig, im tired easily, my body feels like passing out, im just uggggh. . . And I know its cuz of the alocohol I drank over the weekend.
You have been running for all of two months, and who knows at what intensity, diet, and your past, etc. You expect to magically have the same attributes as someone who has been running for years? Plenty of people drink (including me) and run just fine. You need to be in shape, and two months is not going to get anyone into shape.

Quote:
I'm starting to want to go out less, because I dont want to drink and mess up my gains I've been making with all of my hard work throughout the week. So I'm in a bit of a juxtaposition here.... I want to have a lean, mean, fit, healthy body, but I dont want my social life to suffer. . . I'll admit I enjoy going out, having some drinks, dancing, a little partying, socializing, etc..... but I'm not about to mess up what I've worked so hard for.... so do I choose to just stay in....not drink.... watch movies?..
You are not going to mess up your gains by going out and drinking. Once you get in shape, you will see that you can get plastered just fine and go for a run in the morning. I see no reason why to change something you enjoy doing; getting in shape whether it is running or strength trianing, is a long term and life long process, not some spur of the moment action with results expected to be the same of those who have been doing this for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 01:27 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Recover from what?

You have been running for all of two months, and who knows at what intensity, diet, and your past, etc. You expect to magically have the same attributes as someone who has been running for years? Plenty of people drink (including me) and run just fine. You need to be in shape, and two months is not going to get anyone into shape.

You are not going to mess up your gains by going out and drinking. Once you get in shape, you will see that you can get plastered just fine and go for a run in the morning. I see no reason why to change something you enjoy doing; getting in shape whether it is running or strength trianing, is a long term and life long process, not some spur of the moment action with results expected to be the same of those who have been doing this for years.
I dont think I implied that I thought getting in shape was a spur of the moment thing. I realize it's not. Over the past 2 months I have made significant gains in how far I can run... Based off that I am assuming that I am getting in shape, but am not yet there..... however I notice when I drink....the next day I'm just not as on point vs. when I dont drink. . . .

thats basically all I was saying....

Old 05-20-2013, 01:44 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
I dont think I implied that I thought getting in shape was a spur of the moment thing. I realize it's not. Over the past 2 months I have made significant gains in how far I can run... Based off that I am assuming that I am getting in shape, but am not yet there..... however I notice when I drink....the next day I'm just not as on point vs. when I dont drink. . . .

thats basically all I was saying....
Basically all I am saying is; drink!

Seriously, as you get into better shape, you will see drinking will not impact you. Sure, you probably would not want to before a competition, but many people do. I compete in BJJ and people will get drunk the night before and still win their division. Many in the military drink then hit the PT in the morning just fine.

If I were you, I would just continue to go out and hit it the next day, you will be fine.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:01 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Stop drinking alcohol. Period.

Or better yet stop working out, cuts into your drinking time!

Old 05-20-2013, 02:55 PM

39 posts, read 64,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
I was a fairly heavy drinker. When i started to get serious about my health i did a bit of research into my drinking and how it may effect my workouts. I like to post this stuff, because someone else may learn from it and i writing about it keeps it fresh in the memory.Maybe you are wondering is it ok to have a drink or four during the evening after a hard days workout. After all you deserve it for all the hard work you put in at the gym, dont you?

Sadly, drinking alcohol after training is a horrible idea. Alcohol will erase all gains and delay recovery in your muscles. People who drink alcohol will see a decrease in their anabolic testosterone levels. Why does that matter? Because testosterone helps build up muscle tissue.

Even having 1.5 drinks compromises strength performances and blunts fat loss "gains" because it screws with your hormones.

Red wine is included, yes.
I wasn't aware of the particular's like you have stated here, i was just told alcohol wasnt good for muscle building. So i dont do the Alcohol thing. Very informative little piece here, thanks. I agree that seeing something continuosly helps keep it fresh in an individual's mind.

Good day to you sir/Miss.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:19 AM

31 posts, read 76,559 times
Its better actually to avoid alcohol, if you are interested and want to maintain your body.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:45 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Stop drinking alcohol. Period.
Not gonna happen

Old 05-28-2013, 07:47 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Basically all I am saying is; drink!

Seriously, as you get into better shape, you will see drinking will not impact you. Sure, you probably would not want to before a competition, but many people do. I compete in BJJ and people will get drunk the night before and still win their division. Many in the military drink then hit the PT in the morning just fine.

If I were you, I would just continue to go out and hit it the next day, you will be fine.
Heh heh..those were the days, lol.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:05 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times
Often after soccer matches, the guys want to go out afterwards for beers. I love beer but it just feels wrong drinking while the endorphins from the great workout are still in full flow.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:20 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,092 times
Stop drinking alcohol after workout ???

Normaly you start drinking after workout no? I guess you could drink through the workout and stop after.

I used to run with the HHH so drinking during a run is fairly normal- fills water bottle with vodka and heads to the gym for a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness