Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 01:57 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
LOL true, the 'bulk up' myth is still fairly common but the other ones seem so asinine it's hard for me to believe that people believe them.

I think running on a treadmill indoors can be safer than running outdoors, but only because there are no cars to hit you or sidewalk cracks to trip over.
I met a guy once who was "bulked up."

I had an orthopedic surgeon who is the doctor works with some pro sports teams tell me that running outside is better than running on a treadmill. He said the motion of the belt affects the stride in a negative way. I'm sure he is basing his comment on credible research but I don't have a problem with treadmills especially when it is cold, dark, windy, and raining or snowing out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 02:15 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I met a guy once who was "bulked up."

I had an orthopedic surgeon who is the doctor works with some pro sports teams tell me that running outside is better than running on a treadmill. He said the motion of the belt affects the stride in a negative way. I'm sure he is basing his comment on credible research but I don't have a problem with treadmills especially when it is cold, dark, windy, and raining or snowing out.
I think there are pros and cons to both so that it evens out in the end and comes down to personal preference. If someone wants to run outside, good for them! If they want to run on a treadmill, it's all good.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:30 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
I have been told by numerous health and fitness professionals as well that treadmill running is bad for the knees. The motion of the belt is artificial and so you are not getting a natural stride. I still will run on a treadmill, but I get so bored on them I keep it to a minimum. I can go 3 times as far outside...easy.

Whatever works for the individual is what is going to be best. I just would not do any kind of distance or repetitive (day after day) running on a treadmill.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:24 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,677,824 times
In my experience I never had knee pain running on a treadmill. Anything that has some give to it seems like it would be better to me than concrete. Also, the treadmill is very consistent as opposed to buckled sidewalks. I also put an incline on the treadmill whenever I ran on it, since downhill seemed to put more stress on my knee. I don't think the stretching thing has been debunked yet for most people.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:42 PM

25 posts, read 67,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixmike11 View Post
Fitness myths - The Washington Post

good fitness knowledge to know
NUMBER 1) I view weight as weight. If you want to lose weight you don't want to gain it.
NUMBER 2) Didn't know this was a women's only fitness article.
NUMBER 3) When you stop weight training muscle slowly goes away over time. It doesn't turn to fat.
NUMBER 4) Treadmills are boring. Its more fun, natural and relaxing to run outside vs. a treadmill.
NUMBER 5) True.
NUMBER 6) True to a certain extent. You can eat a lot of healthy food! But not a lot fatty foods.
NUMBER 7) Free weights are better. Like dumbbells. Start with lighter weights and work your way up.
NUMBER 8) Sweating is good for you. It is also good for the skin to sweat.
NUMBER 9) This is true. Fat is all over your body and when you burn it, it comes from where ever your body has it on reserve.
NUMBER 10) It is best to stretch before working out. It can prevent injury. It is also good to prevent cramps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness