Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 08:14 PM

41,956 posts, read 75,183,468 times

Advertisements

Perhaps if someone were chasing me ...

I can run about a mile. But I really don't enjoy it all that much. I'd rather walk fast, with a burst of jogging thrown in here or there if my old knees don't complain too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
No. If you don't have the will to do it, then you won't. I'll be blunt, you just must not have the will to do it.
Well, that's the silliest post I've ever read on City-Data. And that's saying something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 08:42 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,149 times
I'm 59 now and for many years, starting as a child, I enjoyed running. But no matter what training regimen I followed, I could NEVER run more than 7 miles non-stop. My ex was an untrarunner who ran dozens of 100- and 50-mile races and got frustrated that I couldn't run better, but I just can't. I could bike for hours, and when I rollerbladed regularly I routinely skated 25 miles on Sundays in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco at a fast clip. I can handle a one-hour step aroebics class three times a week, too, though those have started bothering my knees, so I'm tapering off that activity. For some reason I just don't have that kind of endurance for running.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:24 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,771,788 times
Well, if that flat place you're in is Lafayette, then you are in luck. Red's is considered by many to be the best gym ON THE PLANET. It's kept cool, the music is not loud, the lighting is not too bright, the wet areas are wonderful, and the crowd is ever so nice. The place is huge. It's got everything. DH and I used to do weekends in Lafayette, primarily because we loved working out at Red's.

If you live on 'da Nawtshoh' of Lake Ponchartrain, then Franco's, in Mandeville, is seriously great, too. I think it's been named as one of the top gyms in North America.

In Monroe, it used to be Goudeaux's that was really nice. But I think it's under a different name, now. Kind of a scruffy industrial area, but it seemed totally safe, to me. Can't tell you about New Orleans. So much has changed, in the city.

But anyway, Louisiana, like Canada, has a lot of great gyms, because the weather drives people indoors.

And instead of focusing on Cardio, I think you should spend an hour a day lifting weights, in addition to Cardio. Those big Louisiana gyms have endless weight machines: frequently different roomfuls of machines, according to the manufacturer - 'The Cybex Room', 'The Kaiser Room'... (Love those Kaisers, with their infinite pneumatic adjustments...).

You can raise your 'Basal Metabolic Rate' much more effectively by lifting than with cardio. And your shape will tone-up far better, than with running.

And you do realize that there are faster versions of yoga, some of which are quite strenuous. Then, of course, there are the 'step classes', the 'spinning classes'...

Frankly, if you live in the Deep South, you'll get Cabin Fever, if you don't join a big gym. The gym provides a place to go, every day, that's air-conditioned (and you have something constructive to do, while you're there, which seldom involves eating or shopping) .

Old 06-04-2013, 05:07 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Nope, can't jog. And I find my running inconsistent.

When it comes to jogging as a form of exercise, I have started and stopped many times. I could remember one time, at random, my husband and I went for a jog and I shot past him and ran about two miles. The next time we went, I made it only about half a mile. So there seems to be no building up for me---and mostly it's a big flop.

I find that no matter what I do, and trust me I've tried every "remedy" for this, I always end up with side stitches. And once I have them, even if I stop jogging and try to walk it off, they'll always come back.

I used to be VERY athletic and VERY active---I used to play tennis hours and hours a day, softball, etc.---but those are sports that require bursts of speed. Jogging is me just experiencing labored breathing (this is also very problematic for me---sometimes I wonder if I have exercise-induced asthma) and anger because I hate jogging. Ha.

I would MUCH rather ride a bike. But my knees are really bad. (Obviously not from years of running.)

Side note: People mentioned size, weight, age, etc. I have seen people much older and much larger than me (I'm not overweight and I never have been) run with ease right on past me. Nothing makes you feel like the worst runner ever when someone who looks over 90 passes you and just keeps on going...

Old 06-04-2013, 05:15 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
It seems I simply do not have the lung capacity, or something, to be able to run. At one point in the past, I was so determined to build up my stamina, that I tried jogging nearly every day for 9 months. I was never able to even jog a half mile without feeling like my lungs were filled with concrete (that was always the best way I could come up with to describe it).
At another point in time, I worked one on one with a running trainer. He had me do a combination of jogging and walking. I would jog fairly slowly for a certain amount of time, then walk for a minute or so, and repeat. But always, after a few cycles of that, I'd be so out of breath I just couldn't jog any more.
I even went to a doctor to check my pulmonary function. She didn't find anything wrong in the tests she gave me. That was a few years ago, and I'll admit, at that point I was just so frustrated that I haven't tried running or jogging again. It's not the end of the world; lots of people claim that running is too hard on the joints anyway, so I don't mind just being a walker. But it has always perplexed me why I could never run without becoming out of breath, gasping yet feeling like I wasn't even able to get any air in.
Have you ever known anyone like that, or know what causes it?
In my younger years, I was never much of a runner either. I partook in all kinds of sports for women..basketball, softball, tennis, swimming..but the lung capacity was always kinda limited. I was pretty good at the softball..was a pitcher but when it was my turn to bat, I dreaded the run around the bases. Now, I am talking lots of years ago as I am 65..still pretty active but mostly swimming now and walking.
Not everyone is meant to be a runner for lots of different reasons. With me, I was always kinda chunky and have short legs..only 5'2" tall and fight my weight, always have fought my weight. I do, however, have a niece who is short like me and she is like a little jack rabbit when she runs..just depends on the person.
Shortness of breath is sometimes a symptom but not always a problem..confused?? Well, at one point my shortness of breath became an issue when I couldn't walk upstairs from the basement without stopping to rest. Some testing revealed a leaking valve in my heart and an upper thoracic aneurysm that I wasn't aware of. Now that was a REAL breathtaker for sure. I had surgery and all is well now and I am no longer short winded.
Keep an eye on your health, do the activities that don't drain your breath from you and stay fit. Movement is what's important and YES running is hard on the joints. My knees are shot from all my former sports playing. Be well.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:16 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Have you looked into whether your might have exercise induced asthma? That is what it sounds like. I am not a doctor. I don't even play one on tv.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:27 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Sounds like they can tolerate other aerobic activities (skating, biking) - wouldn't asthma kick in for those activities as well? I think they have some unusual breathing patterns when they run (hyperventilate) and need to learn how to breath while running - and run at an ultra slow pace to start.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:34 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Some people are athletically inclined, some aren't. Some can run, some can't. Has nothing to do with will.
You tell him sister!

I can't run, but I can do Insanity - lost 20 pounds doing it. Both running and Insanity take will power and determination - so it wasn't a lack of will.

In fact, I am so cheap that running would have been my workout of choice - nothing to buy but shoes. And believe me, my cheapness has a will of steel.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:47 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I'm 52, and currently a bit overweight at 5'5" and 153 pounds. But back when I was trying to run about 5 years ago I was at a very appropriate 125 pounds. (I subsequently gained 40 pounds after my divorce, which I am finally getting serious about losing). I'm not a swimmer (that's another thing I can't do. I've taken lessons several times, but I think due to the fact that I nearly drowned as a teenager, I have a huge mental obstacle there). I used to bike a lot, but I've gotten out of the habit for no particular reason. I will have to work those leg muscles back up, but biking has never been a problem, breathing-wise.

Actually I've become far too sedentary the past several months, since our most recent move to Louisiana. And right now, (and probably through Sept) the extreme heat and humidity here is so foreign to me that doing much of anything outdoors is a challenge. Oh, and you asked about hills---it's quite flat where we live.

I'm currently debating whether to join a fitness club, or to invest in a couple of pieces for home (probably an elliptical and a strength unit. One way or another, I'm going to lost another 25-30 pounds, and get back in shape.

But I've always been baffled and frustrated about my breathing problems when I try to run.
Have you ever had a level of fitness that would have allowed you to do cardiovascular activity well? What was your fitness level when you were 18? 25?

If you have never had good cardiovascular fitness then you are starting from nothing at this age. So it will be very difficult for a while until your body says to you that it is ready for more.

Running is the most demanding cardio exercise that people commonly do. It pushes your heart rate up very quickly. And for people not currently fit it will feel like it will kill you.

I suggest you buy a heart rate monitor. Use it to properly manage your effort. If you can't run 1/2 mile after 9 months of trying then you are probably exceeding your body's ability to process oxygen. You need to go slower. The HR monitor will show you this.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:53 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I used to run all the time, including off-season cross country and track (up to 6 miles a day).
I ran charity races in college (5k/10k).
My knees always sucked (thanks, basketball!).
But now it's really hard. And it is NOT an issue of aerobic stamina at all (as I can sprint on the elliptical and I can do Insanity like a breeze, etc). My back hurts. My left lower back eventually cramps up (about half a mile to a mile in) and my legs feel like lead (it's almost like they go anaerobic).
Even just a few years ago, I would warm up for my weightlifting regimen by running 2 miles.
I can do sprints, I can play tennis, etc, but long distance running seems to be out now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness