Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 03:55 PM

249 posts, read 443,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Probably the most underestimated part of work that most people have zero clue. They think it's gear and lifting. That is the EASY part... Dieting is their biggest chore.

Absolutely bro. And ya just know it's takin' a toll on them long-term.

I once read somewhere years ago that there is a direct relationship between longevity and the amount of food you eat.

Looks like I'll be pushin' up daisies when I'm sixty.

Fk it though. It will have been worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 02:40 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
You actually seem fairly fixated on food and eating, yourself, actually...just in the maintaining rigid control of it end of things.
I have recieved FIVE emails today about lunch today. FIVE. They brought in BBQ chicken sandwich with some mac n cheese, cookies, and a bag of chips.

They are also doing a lunch here on Thursday. Make that SIX emails, just got another one.

My diet is low calorie / high protein. I enjoy doing a ton of pullups more than benching a grip. On my good days, I eat about 2k calories and 120 grams of protein.

People here are obsessed with eating. If you worked where people bring in crap food at least twice a week then you constantly have to say no thanks, you'd get annoyed too.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:23 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
My coworkers are obsessed with eating too. Every celebration or reward is food or a potluck. Many people are morbidly obese, or on their way. I'd say 90% are overweight in my department. Most of us are either RN's or MD's...so ya'd think they knew better. It's the old, "you do what I say, but it doesn't apply to me."

Today, they were passing out ice cream bars. I have no idea why. They did ask me if i was still on my "diet" and I said, "heck yea, no thanks" and they walked on by, after they got in my face while sucking on their ice cream bar. I don't consider proper eating to be a "diet" but if it will keep them off my back, then so be it.

I actually had to complain to my manager (& threaten to go to HR) about people eating at their desks at every potluck, since we didn't have access to a conference room. The problem is, we work in a large, open-aired room, with low cubicle walls, and smells travel (I'm talking food, AND perfumes/sprays). Plus we are a green friendly company, that promotes employee wellness....and having to endure the smells was a total conflict with the company values. I know I do not have control over the environment, but, when smells disturb the environment to the point of someone getting ill, then managment has to make changes....it's all in the presentation. Yea, sometimes it takes threats & throwing the values back at them, before they will make the appropriate changes. I show up at mandated potlucks, imagine that, but I always bring my own food, and I always leave quickly.

Of course, they all think I'm nuts when I talk about my latest weight lifting escapades. I've suggested that we do burpees down the aisle for birthdays, instead of passing out cake. So far, I've had no takers.

And we are a healthcare company. Ran by a bunch of food addicts. Too lazy to reward people properly.

Last edited by caligirlz; 06-11-2013 at 10:34 PM..

Old 06-12-2013, 07:33 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
My coworkers are obsessed with eating too. Every celebration or reward is food or a potluck. Many people are morbidly obese, or on their way. I'd say 90% are overweight in my department. Most of us are either RN's or MD's...so ya'd think they knew better. It's the old, "you do what I say, but it doesn't apply to me."

Today, they were passing out ice cream bars. I have no idea why. They did ask me if i was still on my "diet" and I said, "heck yea, no thanks" and they walked on by, after they got in my face while sucking on their ice cream bar. I don't consider proper eating to be a "diet" but if it will keep them off my back, then so be it.

I actually had to complain to my manager (& threaten to go to HR) about people eating at their desks at every potluck, since we didn't have access to a conference room. The problem is, we work in a large, open-aired room, with low cubicle walls, and smells travel (I'm talking food, AND perfumes/sprays). Plus we are a green friendly company, that promotes employee wellness....and having to endure the smells was a total conflict with the company values. I know I do not have control over the environment, but, when smells disturb the environment to the point of someone getting ill, then managment has to make changes....it's all in the presentation. Yea, sometimes it takes threats & throwing the values back at them, before they will make the appropriate changes. I show up at mandated potlucks, imagine that, but I always bring my own food, and I always leave quickly.

Of course, they all think I'm nuts when I talk about my latest weight lifting escapades. I've suggested that we do burpees down the aisle for birthdays, instead of passing out cake. So far, I've had no takers.

And we are a healthcare company. Ran by a bunch of food addicts. Too lazy to reward people properly.
You complained about the smell of peoples food traveling around the office over the lunch hour? Wow....

Old 06-12-2013, 07:57 AM

382 posts, read 721,873 times
It seems to me that your diet is actually pretty sensible. In many cultures, eating monotonous diets (rice & beans in Mexico, rice & fish in Japan, etc.) combined with exercise or hard physical labor (the historical equivalent of going to the gym) gives pretty positive results.

For many people, food isn't just about food, of course, but it contains a host of emotional components, and notions about friendship, comfort, and pleasure. I'm a bit of a foodie myself, and I find it somewhat of a challenge when one couple we know comes to visit, as the guy is a raw foods enthusiast, the woman is a somewhat ascetic vegetarian, and neither one drinks alcohol !

But as much as I like food, I appreciate that many people aren't really "into" it, or are very particular about what they like.

One difference between food cultures in the States vs. France, for example, is how love of food is expressed. In France people really obsess over food, like here, but it's a question of quality. In the States, it seems it's more a question of quantity. And many Americans believe that anything's good if you pile a ton of cheese/bacon/hot fudge over it.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:58 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:

We need/deserve a reward? From someone else? I feel freaking great. I LOOK freaking great. I reward myself thusly.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:07 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
So I'm noticing more and more how I've grown tired of eating. There are a handful of things I actually like eating. If I'm forced to go somewhere I don't like (which is rare now that I'm an adult), I won't eat even if I'm really hungry. Even as a kid, my parents who make food I didn't like and I would straight up stay hungry. After a while, they realized the "he'll eat when he's hungry" logic won't work on me.

I eat the same breakfast and lunch Monday-Friday. On the weekends, I go out to eat some with friends and what not but if I'm at home, I eat oatmeal for just about every morning. My mom thinks is bad that I eat the same lunch for work every day. I bring the same thing to work for a few months until I get tired of it. Right now, its a chicken breast sandwich on wheat with veggies and greek yogurt. I've been on that for about a month now. I've been at this job for over 8 months and I've brought 3 different lunches.

I have an very large appetite especially for my size, 5'11, 170-175. When I eat pizza, I eat a min of 6 slices and I can put away an entire pizza. When I go to get burgers, I often need to get more than just the combo. I excerise very often so thats why I keep in shape but I find eating a huge waste of money and time. I wish I could just take a pill to remove my hunger and give the proper nutritions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I have recieved FIVE emails today about lunch today. FIVE. They brought in BBQ chicken sandwich with some mac n cheese, cookies, and a bag of chips.

They are also doing a lunch here on Thursday. Make that SIX emails, just got another one.

My diet is low calorie / high protein. I enjoy doing a ton of pullups more than benching a grip. On my good days, I eat about 2k calories and 120 grams of protein.

People here are obsessed with eating. If you worked where people bring in crap food at least twice a week then you constantly have to say no thanks, you'd get annoyed too.
If you feel good and are happy with how you look, just eat what you want and don't worry about anyone else's opinion.

My husband worked in an office where food was a huge deal--there was pressure to go out and eat lunch together and on Fridays everyone was supposed to bring baked crap for breakfast. He hated it and eventually just started saying "no" every time it came up. So again, just do what you do and ignore the lunch emails. Eventually they'll get the message.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
We need/deserve a reward? From someone else? I feel freaking great. I LOOK freaking great. I reward myself thusly.
I'm talking about being rewarded for the work I do on the job, not my personal health efforts (I don't need kudos from them for that). Like when the company gets a new highly visible contract, or when they make "x-amount" of money, or when my department saves x-amount......they want to be a GPTW (great place to work)....food rewards do not make a GPTW.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
You complained about the smell of peoples food traveling around the office over the lunch hour? Wow....
I'm not talking the lunch hour. I'm talking the extended, all day food fests. And, heck yes, I complained. Some of us are actually interested in our health and are making necessary changes. The food fests & people eating in my face while trying to work interfered with my productivity.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:21 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,961 times
Quote:
I'm not talking the lunch hour. I'm talking the extended, all day food fests. And, heck yes, I complained. Some of us are actually interested in our health and are making necessary changes. The food fests & people eating in my face while trying to work interfered with my productivity.
How does the smell of food effect YOUR health? Who cares what they all eat? You aren't forced to eat it. Sounds like the smell is making you have a hard time with self control which is your OWN fault. How are they eating it in your face? What people do at their own desk should be of no concern to you. You sound like you're the type of person that complains about stupid stuff at work that gets on everyones nerves. I eat every day at work 3x. At my desk. Granted I have to walk with my food from the microwave to my desk. I would loooooooove to see someone like you complain about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness