Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 07:57 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Three years at my current gym:

I have never seen anyone squat. I have seen one person doing deadlifts, but they were high reps, and he has done them maybe three times ever.

I have known only one person that did front squats regularly, body builder type guy.

I have nothing against them, they are a great exercise.
No one ever squats? Do they even have squat racks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 08:12 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
No one ever squats? Do they even have squat racks?
I have never seen anyone squat the three years I have been there. I would say maybe during times I am not there, but the hooks and bar are either in the same place I left them, or everything is set up like someone was doing shrugs or something.

They have a power cage, recently got an actual squat rack.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:16 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,154 times
During the time of year, I don't get programmed for front squats much (olympic weightlifter). Different coaches have different viewpoints.. start of the year it was a 3:1 bs/fs ratio, now its looking like 2:1 and even 1:1. Cleans and various pulls everyday..

Old 06-16-2013, 08:52 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
I've been doing a lot of these lately, finally was able to get the clean grip down (was doing the cross-armed grip/technique before). What are your thoughts on this movement?

are they commonly performed in your gym?
We just started doing front squats with our last rotation at my weight lifting gym. I'm not sure if the adults ever did them before, but some of us are interested in learning oly lifts, so now they have been added in, along with deadlifts and squat cleans (they have always been included in the atheletic program).

I prefer the overall movement of the front squat over the back squat, but I haven't mastered the clean grip yet. I'm not overly concerned about it, as even people competing in the CrossFit games use the cross armed grip. I'm sure it it all come together in due time.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:29 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
I prefer the overall movement of the front squat over the back squat, but I haven't mastered the clean grip yet. I'm not overly concerned about it, as even people competing in the CrossFit games use the cross armed grip. I'm sure it it all come together in due time.
That's a good attitude Cali. The front squat (clean grip) felt really awkward to me the first 4 or 5 times I tried them (not just awkward, but a little painful in the wrists), and I could've just stuck with the cross grip but the clean grip is just something that's always looked so hard, yet so cool, that I had to stick with it. Now I'm steadily climbing up in weight and it feels great, plus I can feel the eyes on me at the gym when I'm doing these haha.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:37 PM

I hear you about the grip feeling awkward. I don't really like the cross grip. I found as I fatgued, I was to holding or bracing the bar with my chin...yea, bar burn on the neck. Ouch. But I can't do the clean grip. Yet. My trainer originally had me doing an alternative "grip" that I think is somewhat controversial. I think its a preliminary hold for supernewbies...Holding my arms out straight in front me & resting the bar in the groove at the delts. I like the strap idea in the video that was posted. I think I'm doing pretty darn good for a 52 year lady that hasn't lifted since college.

I find squats in general to be a challenge due to poor flexibility. BUT I do them. And I also work on flexibility with self myofascial release with trigger point ball & foam roller. The trainers at my gym said there isn't anything I can do to increase the flexibility of my wrists, or my shoulders either. However, my personal trainer/ NKT www.neurokinectictherapy.com therapist tells me there is (I've been doing a lot of mobility, flexabiltiy and release work with him, and he is the one responsible for fine tuning my deadlift).

yeah, I like the idea of doing an elite lift that very few (especially women) are doing, at least in my gym.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:07 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,154 times
You can move your grip out wider (clean grip) and use less fingers (starting at pointer and middle finger) to relieve some tension.. as you gain flexibility there, you can move in closer and use more fingers.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:36 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I have never seen anyone squat the three years I have been there. I would say maybe during times I am not there, but the hooks and bar are either in the same place I left them, or everything is set up like someone was doing shrugs or something.

They have a power cage, recently got an actual squat rack.
What are these people doing for their legs? I cannot imagine doing a workout routine involving lifting that omits squats.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:03 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
What are these people doing for their legs? I cannot imagine doing a workout routine involving lifting that omits squats.
They do nothing for their legs, but I am sure they count running as a leg exercise.

You know those types, all for vanity, they only workout what they see in the mirror. So some chest and biceps hypertrophy, no back or legs; the chicken leg look.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
You can move your grip out wider (clean grip) and use less fingers (starting at pointer and middle finger) to relieve some tension.. as you gain flexibility there, you can move in closer and use more fingers.
thanks! I will try that out this week.

Tonight I did an experiment with my back squats. I usually deadlift barefoot, so I tried that tonight while squatting. I felt much more comfortable, had better form, was able to get good depth and I was able to increase my weights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness