Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 09:47 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
so what you are saying is he should drink coke zero to lose weight?
That's his choice. He can if he wants.

Quote:
Or are you too thick headed to get my point that any soda or drink regardless if it says diet on it is bad for you.
Actually, I understood completely that this was the point you were trying to make. What I was doing was laughing at that point as it is horribly incorrect.

Quote:
Or perhaps you just want to be a troll instead of helping this guy out?
I think shooting down the bad advice qualifies as helping him out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 09:50 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,677,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
That's his choice. He can if he wants.

Actually, I understood completely that this was the point you were trying to make. What I was doing was laughing at that point as it is horribly incorrect.

I think shooting down the bad advice qualifies as helping him out.
Ok then please explain. How is drinking any soda product better than water? Im really interested to hear this. If you are right, then I have no problem conceding that I was wrong.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Ok then please explain. How is drinking any soda product better than water? Im really interested to hear this. If you are right, then I have no problem conceding that I was wrong.
Well first off, that's not what I said, so you're asking me to defend a claim I never made. I simply disputed your claim that diet sodas are bad for you.

That said, I guess it's context specific. Personally speaking, I can't drink large amounts of water because I'm not a huge fan of plain water taste. I rely a lot on diet drink mixes like Crystal Light to allow me to keep my water intake up without it feeling like a chore. I also love soda, so things diet sodas allow to satisfy that urge to a degree without sending my calorie and sugar intake into the stratosphere.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:12 AM

I never claimed that, i just said drink water instead of soda. But in fact diet soda are bad for you. But if you want to go there, lets go there. Because you are wrong about that as well. Anyone surprised?

Metabolic syndrome. A collection of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, increased blood glucose, and abdominal obesity.

NYT did a study tracking 9500 men and women. Guess which group had a 35% greater risk in developing metabolic syndrome? The ones that drank diet soda.

Osteoporsis. Doesent matter if its diet or not. It has phosphoric acid in it.

Weight gain. Artificial sweetners alter your metabolism. They have not only done studies with rats but in test groups of real people too. Imagine that! Soda makes you fat. No way you say? Way

Kidney damage, kidney stones, kidney disfunction. Didnt i mention phosphoric acid before?

Your brain. Use it. Oh wait im doing that for you too. Ok let me explain more in lamas terms.
More on artificial sweetners. They use Aspartame to make them. Once you drink it, its converted into other chemicals. One of these bad boys is called formaldehyde. Yep the same stuff they use for dead bodies. Its a carcinogen.

Need more proof?
Lets talk more about artificial sweetners.
Did you know that they cause tumors and bladder cancer in lab animals.

Dont take my word for it.

Why Diet Soda Is Not Healthy | LIVESTRONG.COM

Old 06-17-2013, 11:05 AM

LOL, not to be a dick but you are walking into a debate that I've had and won about a dozen times before. Oh, and you're also debating with someone who has some formal education in health related sciences.

Quote:
I never claimed that, i just said drink water instead of soda.
No, this is what you said, and the point I responded to.

Quote:
Stop drinking soda. I dont care if its coke zero its still soda.
Quote:
But in fact diet soda are bad for you. But if you want to go there, lets go there. Because you are wrong about that as well. Anyone surprised?
Yes, let's go there. Annnnnnnd....go!

Quote:
Metabolic syndrome. A collection of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, increased blood glucose, and abdominal obesity.
Let's see your source. Preferably a peer reviewed article showing causation rather than correlation. If you can't access the full article, that is fine. Give me enough information and I can use the PubMed or MedLine subscription I have to find it.

Quote:
NYT did a study tracking 9500 men and women. Guess which group had a 35% greater risk in developing metabolic syndrome? The ones that drank diet soda.
I assume you're talking about this one here.

I'd like to point you to the fifth word of the very first sentence; correlation. That does not mean that A causes B, just that some kind of statistical link can be shown. If you're even remotely familiar with research methodology, you'd know that correlation studies are only useful for formulating hypothesis, not proving them. In fact, if you actually read the story beyond the headline, you'd see this.

Quote:
"This is interesting," said Lyn Steffen, an associate professor of epidemiology at the University of Minnesota and a co-author of the paper, which was posted online in the journal Circulation on Jan. 22. "Why is it happening? Is it some kind of chemical in the diet soda, or something about the behavior of diet soda drinkers?"
Translation: Even the authors don't say what you think they said.

Quote:
Osteoporsis. Doesent matter if its diet or not. It has phosphoric acid in it.
And I'd point you to this.

Osteoporosis & Sodas (Soft Drinks): Phosphoric Acid and Other Causes

A couple relevant points.

Quote:
Quote:
Experts aren't sure why drinking soda is linked to osteoporosis. It may be simply that the soda is displacing healthier drinks in your diet. If you're guzzling a Pepsi with dinner (or breakfast!) you're probably not drinking the glass of milk or fortified orange juice that nutritionists recommend.

"There is an association between people who have high soda intake and risk of fracture, but that's probably due to the fact that if they have a high soda intake, they have a low milk intake," agrees Robert Heaney, MD, FACP, a professor of medicine at Creighton University in Omaha, Neb., and a nationally recognized expert on osteoporosis.

"Those things have been shown to be linked in various studies. But when you look at the ingredients of the soda and give those to healthy people and measure what it does to their calcium composition, nothing happens at all."

"Individuals who drink a lot of soft drinks aren't going to drink as much nutritious liquid as others," says Bess Dawson-Hughes, M.D., professor of medicine and director of the Bone Metabolism Laboratory at the Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University. "We're simply not going to consume beyond a certain volume each day."
Quote:
Phosphorus itself is an important bone mineral. But if you're getting a disproportionate amount of phosphorus compared to the amount of calcium you're getting, that could lead to bone loss.
Quote:
This study isn't the last word on the subject. Some experts point out that the amount of phosphoric acid in soda is minimal compared to that found in chicken or cheese. And no one's telling women to stop eating chicken.
Again, the experts aren't saying what you think they are saying.

Quote:
Weight gain. Artificial sweetners alter your metabolism. They have not only done studies with rats but in test groups of real people too. Imagine that! Soda makes you fat. No way you say? Way
Rat studies are a lot like correlation studies. They are good for formulating your hypothesis, but do nothing to prove it. Show me the studies done on humans which you base your claims on.

Quote:
Kidney damage, kidney stones, kidney disfunction. Didnt i mention phosphoric acid before?
Again, show me the studies.

Quote:
Your brain. Use it.
Sorry, I was too busy using correlation studies to form the basis of my knowledge and then misstating what those studies actually said to do any real thinking.

Oh, wait...

Quote:
More on artificial sweetners. They use Aspartame to make them.
And do you know what aspartame is made of? Hint; they are two amino acids, meaning our body requires them to survive.

Quote:
Once you drink it, its converted into other chemicals. One of these bad boys is called formaldehyde. Yep the same stuff they use for dead bodies. Its a carcinogen.
This post is already getting absurdly long, so I'll just give you these two links and limit my commentary to this.

Yes, aspartame eventually breaks down into formaldehyde. The problems with this is that happens with natural foods as well (and in usually higher concentrations), happens within completely acceptable levels and the idea that formaldehyde is a carcinogen is widely disputed and at best only shown to be true in unusually high concentrations.

Aspartame and Formaldehyde (or not…) | What does the Science say?

snopes.com: Aspartame -- Sweet Poison?

Formaldehyde and Cancer Risk - National Cancer Institute

Quote:
Need more proof?
Yes, and make sure it is actually proof this time.

Quote:
Lets talk more about artificial sweetners.
Did you know that they cause tumors and bladder cancer in lab animals.

Dont take my word for it.

Why Diet Soda Is Not Healthy | LIVESTRONG.COM
I already covered the problem of rat studies, but since this is focused on tumors and cancer I'll take a second to point out that rodents, especially some specific types, are naturally susceptible to tumors and various types of cancer, further weakening the hypothesis.

I'll even point you to one of the articles used as a reference for that article.

Quote:
Drinking a reasonable amount of diet soda a day, such as a can or two, isn't likely to hurt you. The artificial sweeteners and other chemicals currently used in diet soda are safe for most people, and there's no credible evidence that these ingredients cause cancer.
Diet soda: Is it bad for you? - MayoClinic.com

So, the author writes an article making claims, then references a site that directly contradicts the claims she has made?

Well played.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:14 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,579,676 times
I haven't read the previous posts so there may be a few redundant things. These things work for me and my roommate, as we're pretty happy with our physical conditions. Take what you want out of it.

Lots of veggies, oatmeal, bran cereal, greek yogurt, protein powder like whey, milk (almond, soy, skim...whatever), orange juice with pulp, and cut out deserts (maybe frozen yogurt once in a blue moon), soda pop, high starch/carb foods like noodles and rice (unless they're wheat-based), and go easy on the protein. I'd knock out booze too, but if you're gonna drink, whiskey and water is your best bet. Empty carbs/calories but once a week won't hurt. Red wine also. If you go out to eat and don't feel like salad, veggie burgers on wheat with a sub of veggies or fruit salad are your best bet.

Most of all, don't stress and overthink it. Just eat frequently but at relatively small amounts. Have power bars on standby. Sugar-free gum helps too. Try to never be too hungry or too full. And try not to obsess about it or whine about it (not that you are, I just notice people on diets are always talking to others about food).

And work out nonstop. Five days a week. Try not to go over 30-40 minutes of cardio but go HARD with cardio. None of this gentle jogging/eliptical nonsense.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:43 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
You guys are so way off it's pathetic. Fallen hook line and sinker for the fad diet of the day spiel, and playing right into the industry's hands. The solution is not rocket science. It is not cutting carbs, wheat products, fruit (are you kidding me?), rice and starches, or whatever. Eat a balanced, but primarily vegetarian diet. Watch portions. Drink water up to your tonsils. Make exercise (primarily cardio) an integral part of your life. If you burn more calories than you consume, you WILL lose weight. It is that simple. But it's not easy.
Key words being "it's not easy". If you want easy OP...just don't eat any carbs..just protein and vegies (all you want) and a fruit or two a day...You'll lose weight real fast...after a couple months start introducing the odd complex carb back into your diet. Call it a fad, call it "playing right into the industry's hands), call it what ever you want...it works, and it works fast.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Is that your way of saying "I realize I didn't know as much as I thought I did and know I can't hang in this debate" while trying to save face?

Honestly, I'm not trying to be a jerk about it, but when you start firing off about not listening to the bad advice of other posters and then show yourself to be giving bad advice yourself, you invite this sort of thing.

Really? You still want to argue over diet soda? I DONT CARE! Can we get back to the topic at hand now? Thanks

Old 06-17-2013, 02:22 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,800,357 times
Does a low carb diet lead to fatigue during exercising? I can't imagine trying to cut carbs down by a large margin and still hitting the gym 4-5 times a week for hard exercise.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Lol are you stalking me or what.
If that makes you feel better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Does a low carb diet lead to fatigue during exercising? I can't imagine trying to cut carbs down by a large margin and still hitting the gym 4-5 times a week for hard exercise.
It can. I usually get that way during the beginning of the diet phase, but as my body acclimates, it gets better.

Couple solutions would be to take in 10-15 grams of carbs pre-workout, use a cyclic keto diet, or even both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness