Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 08:17 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,564,802 times

Advertisements

What do you do when you are pushed to do the WOD but cannot seem to complete it?

100 Push Ups
100 Wall Balls
100 Squats
etc

I am new to this and am improving but I cannot complete a WOD yet my counters seem to expect me to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 08:32 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,761,366 times
I cannot imagine anything more boring and tedious than doing 100 of anything. Find a work out you enjoy.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I cannot imagine anything more boring and tedious than doing 100 of anything. Find a work out you enjoy.
I love it! I am just not at the point where I can finish it.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:54 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,918,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
What do you do when you are pushed to do the WOD but cannot seem to complete it?

100 Push Ups
100 Wall Balls
100 Squats
etc

I am new to this and am improving but I cannot complete a WOD yet my counters seem to expect me to.
I don't do "brand name" Crossfit but instead do the same type of program at an independent gym. What I did when I was new was go until I couldn't anymore. In the case of the above, I would have broken it down into manageable bits, even if it is only 5 reps at a time, until I was done. The one thing I refuse to do is break form - if I can't complete it exactly right, I stop. Also, in the case of things like push-ups and wall balls, in the beginning I had to do all cross-legged modified push-ups, and I would have selected a lighter weight ball than what is rx'd in the WOD.

It's all about you and your limits and pushing them...

Old 06-11-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
I don't do "brand name" Crossfit but instead do the same type of program at an independent gym. What I did when I was new was go until I couldn't anymore. In the case of the above, I would have broken it down into manageable bits, even if it is only 5 reps at a time, until I was done. The one thing I refuse to do is break form - if I can't complete it exactly right, I stop. Also, in the case of things like push-ups and wall balls, in the beginning I had to do all cross-legged modified push-ups, and I would have selected a lighter weight ball than what is rx'd in the WOD.

It's all about you and your limits and pushing them...
Thank you Karen, that is what I keep hearing.. Limits and pushing them. What takes some people 5 minutes or whatever time seems to take me forever! I do not like being the last person and having everyone wait for me, I feel fat and do not want the focus on me.

Interesting what you say about form, I need to focus harder on that.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:11 PM

18,082 posts, read 18,681,854 times
This whole thing does not make sense; all cf gyms like this?

You are suppose to have a baseline fitness level, then the routine and goals are set off of that level, not thrown in with everyone, including people much more fit than you (or reverse, thrown in with people much less fit than you).

Maybe I misunderstood the OP.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
This whole thing does not make sense; all cf gyms like this?

You are suppose to have a baseline fitness level, then the routine and goals are set off of that level, not thrown in with everyone, including people much more fit than you (or reverse, thrown in with people much less fit than you).

Maybe I misunderstood the OP.
They tell us to match up with someone of our fitness level. I do not know if all gyms are like this. I have made significant gains and it is supposed to be you challenging yourself yet I think (I may be wrong) that the goal is to beat your own time.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:56 PM

18,082 posts, read 18,681,854 times
Quote:
They tell us to match up with someone of our fitness level. I do not know if all gyms are like this. I have made significant gains and it is supposed to be you challenging yourself yet I think (I may be wrong) that the goal is to beat your own time.
Your gains are called "newbie" gains; basically the adaptation of your central nervous system. So a person who has never worked out (or seldom, or completely different routine), then all of a sudden hits the gym hard, will see nice gains for a while. It is a short while, these gains run out quick, and you will then have to squeeze out gains after that, but that is when it gets fun.

I am not familiar with cf at all (well, am familiar, but not in the scope of this thread), so I should not have even chimed in, all I can give is generic advice, which is just keep at it and watch your form as it is the most important item out of all of this.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Your gains are called "newbie" gains; basically the adaptation of your central nervous system. So a person who has never worked out (or seldom, or completely different routine), then all of a sudden hits the gym hard, will see nice gains for a while. It is a short while, these gains run out quick, and you will then have to squeeze out gains after that, but that is when it gets fun.

I am not familiar with cf at all (well, am familiar, but not in the scope of this thread), so I should not have even chimed in, all I can give is generic advice, which is just keep at it and watch your form as it is the most important item out of all of this.

I am glad you did chime in and I appreciate it. I think this is something I will be doing for many years, I love it and I want to get fit and healthy for the rest of my life.
If you like to exercise I would suggest you try it out!

Thanks!

Old 06-11-2013, 10:54 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,784,285 times
Quote:

100 Push Ups
100 Wall Balls
100 Squats
etc

Your trainers should be showing you how to "scale". This means changing the movement to something you can do (i.e., instead of full pushups, do knee pushups), decreasing the weight, or decreasing the number of repetitions. The "good" CF boxes/programmers will do that. Any that don't, I would be very wary of. I personally wouldn't go to any CF that didn't scale.

I've been a couple of times, to the good places. But, I belong to another weight lifting facility that I love, and I do a lot of the same movements, so I see no reason to switch over at this time.

Last edited by caligirlz; 06-11-2013 at 11:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness