U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2013, 02:44 PM

3,087 posts, read 5,815,326 times

Advertisements

Today I did 5 pull-ups, waited a few minutes and did 4 more of those 5 pull-ups in the same manner. Took me about 25 minutes. I'm looking to gain mass muscle to my upper body. Is this good enough for a daily workout?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 04:52 PM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,193,414 times
It depends how fit and strong you are now. However, this is far too little to be a quality strength workout.
Do exercises target major muscle groups in synergistic way.
Snatch is best, followed by clean. Pullups and dips are very good as well.
Don't waste your time on junk like biceps or triceps curl - they are useful for top body builders but not for 95% of the public.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:51 PM

5,111 posts, read 6,307,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Today I did 5 pull-ups, waited a few minutes and did 4 more of those 5 pull-ups in the same manner. Took me about 25 minutes. I'm looking to gain mass muscle to my upper body. Is this good enough for a daily workout?
When doing upper body, I usually start with 3-4 sets of pullups. Then I do at least 3 sets of 7-8 different exercises. Usually takes me 45 to 60 minutes. I don't exercise the same body parts two days in a row.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:43 PM

5,144 posts, read 10,812,690 times
Don't forget to get your diet on track for clean gains as well. Building healthy muscle requires the proper workout AND diet. Good luck!

Old 06-16-2013, 08:31 PM

5,086 posts, read 7,684,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Are you doing strict pull ups or kipping crossFit style pull ups? Are you doing this at home or are you working out at a gym?

Sounds like you need to be doing a lot more to build mass. You need to add some heavy weights, not just using your body weight.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
Are you doing strict pull ups or kipping crossFit style pull ups? Are you doing this at home or are you working out at a gym?

Sounds like you need to be doing a lot more to build mass. You need to add some heavy weights, not just using your body weight.
If you can only do 5 reps, then it is heavy weight. Pull-ups are harder than bodyweight exercises like pushups. Most people are never going to be able do 15 pull-ups. With pull-ups, you could always use a lifting belt and add weight once you got to around 10 reps.

The trouble with his workout is he is only doing pull-ups and nothing else.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:51 PM

5,086 posts, read 7,684,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
If you can only do 5 reps, then it is heavy weight. Pull-ups are harder than bodyweight exercises like pushups. Most people are never going to be able do 15 pull-ups. With pull-ups, you could always use a lifting belt and add weight once you got to around 10 reps.

The trouble with his workout is he is only doing pull-ups and nothing else.
My point was that you still are pulling your body weight. yes...you can add weight (I rarely see people actually doing this....maybe its different in your gym, and we still don't know if the OP is even working out at a gym, or at home, so adding weight is a mute point). As I said, if the OP wants to continue pull ups, that's fine, but he needs to add other weight lifting movements with heavy weights to build mass.

OP, you said you want to build mass in your upper body. Any specific area? Chest? Arms? Shoulders???? Back?

Old 06-17-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
My point was that you still are pulling your body weight. yes...you can add weight (I rarely see people actually doing this....maybe its different in your gym, and we still don't know if the OP is even working out at a gym, or at home, so adding weight is a mute point). As I said, if the OP wants to continue pull ups, that's fine, but he needs to add other weight lifting movements with heavy weights to build mass.
I guess I don't understand what you mean by, "you still are pulling your body weight." Weight is relative, it doesn't matter if it is barbell weight or body weight. The problem with bodyweight exercises is it is difficult to add weight in most cases. Pull-ups and dips are two excellent bodyweight exercises where it is possible to easily add weight with a belt. If the OP is doing pull-ups, then he has access to a pull-up bar. He can buy a dip belt and a 5lb plate at Walmart for about $33. If you mean moot point, I don't think it is an irrelevant argument.

I carry a dip belt in my gym bag. See below. You rarely see people using one since most people don't need more than their bodyweight for pull-ups. The OP is doing 5 reps, there is no reason to add weight.

I agree that the OP needs to add other weight lifting movements with heavy weights to build mass.

Last edited by villageidiot1; 06-17-2013 at 05:14 PM..

Old 06-18-2013, 11:46 AM

1,140 posts, read 1,087,161 times
You don't even need to add weight with pullups. When two arms becomes two easy, switch to one armed supported pullups. When one armed supported pullups becomes to easy, switch to one arm pullups.

You can switch to single limbs with every body part. Very few people can do one arm pullups. I'd wager to say it's far less than 1% of the population.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:52 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,421,822 times
I use a dip belt. With pullups, I use a 25 pound plate and do 4 sets of 5 reps.

I'm a fan of these particular workouts:

Deadlifts
Pullups
Dips
Planks

Those are my top 4. Some of my other ones:

Front Squat
Military Shoulder Press
Incline Bench Press

I'm a big fan of things which require alot of body to do it right. Dips work out more than your tricep. Deadlifts are nearly a full body workout as are front squats. These also improve posture which will improve the way you feel and look.

Planks don't get enough attention. Your core is needed for just about everything honestly. People don't work out their core probably. Way too much weight and hit it like their chest. 10 reps of 3-4 sets with added weights is only adding muscle on top of fat. I see this all damn day. People with guts adding weight, why? I want a flat stomach not a big bulky one. The stomach is unlike any other part (minus calves) on the body. You can work out your stomach every day. Its impossible to do proper planks if you are out of shape.

I keep aware of my posture. I have pretty wide shoulders and chest for my frame. I'm 5'11 170-175 and I have to buy 44" suit jacket, 34/35 dress shirts, while I wear 33 in pants. IMO, if you have proper posture, its easier to have proper form while lifting.

If you are starting out and I'm guessing you are working out at home, do some 5-10 push ups after each set of pull ups. More importantly, don't want a few minutes between reps. That's too long, no more than a minute really...90 seconds max if you are hitting heavy. If you can't and you are working out at home, do some elveated pushups. Use your bed or a table, it'll workout your back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness