Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 09:38 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,044,101 times

Advertisements

Even in my younger days, I could NEVER do a pull up. I watched people shimmy and pull their bodies up the rope in high school, I could not do it, EVEN though I was skinny, swam, walked, did ballet.

Now I want to be able to do a pull up, you know, pull your body weight up to the bar, place your chin over the bar.

WHAT can I do to accomplish this? I just tried, and moved an inch. I am not humongously overweight, but overweight.

Help, please. I would like to accomplish this before my 42nd birthday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 09:41 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,164,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
Even in my younger days, I could NEVER do a pull up. I watched people shimmy and pull their bodies up the rope in high school, I could not do it, EVEN though I was skinny, swam, walked, did ballet.

Now I want to be able to do a pull up, you know, pull your body weight up to the bar, place your chin over the bar.

WHAT can I do to accomplish this? I just tried, and moved an inch. I am not humongously overweight, but overweight.

Help, please. I would like to accomplish this before my 42nd birthday.
Losing weight will help because you'll have less weight to lift.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:48 AM

7,113 posts, read 9,152,002 times
Can you afford to go to a gym? If you can, find a gym that has an assisted pull up machine. You can start with a very low % of your body weight and work up.

What BigDGeek says is correct as well. Getting in shape overall and losing excess weight can only help the process.

Google alternative pull ups. Look at some of the ideas. Look at some of the youtube vids. Maybe they will give you other ideas.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:51 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,781,488 times
Before you get to the point of being able to do a pull up you must eat right, lose weight, exercise doing a cardio and resistance training. If you do that and focus on weights you could do a pull up, but it will take awhile.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:26 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,044,101 times
No gym here-cardio sounds good. How about push ups etc???? AND why, even when I was skinny could I NOT do a pull up? Do some people simply have 0 upper body strength?

Old 06-25-2013, 01:18 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,164,952 times
I'm fit for my age and size and I can't do a pullup with my full body weight. At all. So...don't feel bad if you can't do one, it's not a hard and fast indicator of being fit and healthy.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:24 PM

3,819 posts, read 9,429,753 times
Start slowly and first pull yourself on a door jam. Get in a door way, hold onto the door jam and pull yourself towards it. Once you can do 3-4 sets of ten move onto the next challenge. Find a low bar at a playground or a very stable table and pull yourself up on that. Keep your feet on the ground, body at a 45 degree angle and pull up. Again, work your way up to multiple sets of 10. This may take a few months but your muscles will be ready to try a full fledged pullup.

Great place to train is at a local park that has a fitness course. When I was in between jobs last summer I trained on the local fitness course and was able to stay in pretty decent shape. Most fitness courses have all the equipment you need to do the exercises I gave you. Good luck, about 6 years ago I could barely squeak out one or two pullups and I made it my mission to focus on getting my reps up. Now I usually do 5-6 sets of 5 three times a week after I get done running.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:51 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,072,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
No gym here-cardio sounds good. How about push ups etc???? AND why, even when I was skinny could I NOT do a pull up? Do some people simply have 0 upper body strength?
A pull up, or a chin up, requires strength in your upper ("lats") back and biceps. A push up, though a useful exercise on its own, develops your chest, your shoulders (deltoid), and triceps. Therefore pushups will not help you do a pullup.

You need to increase your power to weight ratio. That means lose weight and get stronger.

You need to do exercises that involve a pulling motion. Rowing type machines could help, especially those that mimic a pullup or have a handle you pull to your stomach.

A Pullup Workout for Women - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Old 06-25-2013, 01:59 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,274,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
A pull up, or a chin up, requires strength in your upper ("lats") back and biceps. A push up, though a useful exercise on its own, develops your chest, your shoulders (deltoid), and triceps. Therefore pushups will not help you do a pullup.

You need to increase your power to weight ratio. That means lose weight and get stronger.

You need to do exercises that involve a pulling motion. Rowing type machines could help, especially those that mimic a pullup or have a handle you pull to your stomach.

A Pullup Workout for Women - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com
this^

don't focus too much on doing a pull up, but rather on your nutrition/diet to lose some weight: add some upper body strength training and you will achieve your pull up. good luck!

Old 06-25-2013, 02:08 PM

6,449 posts, read 7,752,649 times
Some good advice here. In the genreal sense, power to weight is what you want to learn about and focus on.

I'll add that (although it may sound daunting) if you aim for 1 pullup you may get to 1/2, if you aim for 10 you may get to 5. You are capable of more than you think.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness