Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 11:47 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times

Advertisements

For crunches and their predecessor situps, you really feel it. Problem is that you feel it primarily in the neck and under the chin, not so much in the abs. You put your feet into some form of restraint like a stirrup on any number of various machines or even just a decline board, and you feel it in the quads, not so much in the abs. Ever use a captain's chair? You feel it again in the legs and shoulder girdle, not so much in the abs. Hanging leg raises stresses the back real good, but the abs to a much lesser degree. Rolling wheel? Be careful of your lumbar spine but it does nothing for abs. Few yrs. ago, they came out with the "ab coaster" and everyone raved. Never tried it but it looks like the arms are doing the work.

Resistance training has been the primo hobby since 1970, age 26, but have never felt a really good ab burn that you get from any other body part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 01:01 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,832 times
wtf are you talking about

Old 07-09-2013, 01:18 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
If you feel it in your neck and chin your form is off. People tend to compensate for weaker abs by making those other muscles do the work.

I think an easy way to train the brain as to what making ab muscles work feels like is to do standing contractions or planks. Those really don't give you an option to use other muscles as much. You will feel a burn if you push yourself to hold position and do enough reps. Everyone has a different level that will challenge them. With the standing contractions try holds of at least 30 seconds and planks at least 1 minute. Repeat if possible. Wait a day or two to see how sore it makes you before trying again. If you are not a little sore increase your plank time or standing contraction reps.

When you get strong enough you will feel more balanced and you may want to try some russian twists.

Another easy one to do if your back is ok is "6 inches" where you lay on your back and hold your legs 6'' from the floor.

How to Do a Plank - Plank Exercises - Men's Fitness

How to Do Six Inch Killers (with Pictures) - wikiHow

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/russian-twist

Old 07-09-2013, 01:21 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,832 times
But hes been traning since 1970 didnt you read. Apparently his ab exercises have been chin exercises. Did you see his other thread. He is at 2% body fat but has zero abs. He is a troll kind of like me. Except im a useful troll.

All BS aside, who cares about burn. Its not an indication of a good or bad workout.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
If you feel it in your neck and chin your form is off. People tend to compensate for weaker abs by making those other muscles do the work.

I think an easy way to train the brain as to what making ab muscles work feels like is to do standing contractions or planks. Those really don't give you an option to use other muscles as much. You will feel a burn if you push yourself to hold position and do enough reps. Everyone has a different level that will challenge them. With the standing contractions try holds of at least 30 seconds and planks at least 1 minute. Repeat if possible. Wait a day or two to see how sore it makes you before trying again. If you are not a little sore increase your plank time or standing contraction reps.

When you get strong enough you will feel more balanced and you may want to try some russian twists.

Another easy one to do if your back is ok is "6 inches" where you lay on your back and hold your legs 6'' from the floor.

How to Do a Plank - Plank Exercises - Men's Fitness

How to Do Six Inch Killers (with Pictures) - wikiHow

Russian Twist Exercise Guide and Video
Front planks are easy. one minute's no problem, but I didn't realize their value for the rectus abdominis. Thought they were some sort of generalized stabilizer. Side planks for the obliques are much harder.

What they're calling "six-inch killers" is one from my past but with a different name. I think we called it leg raise.

You apparently hold isometric exercises in high regard. OK, I'll give them a try. Thanks.

The Russian twist I also recall but it didn't have a name. It's a tough one. The guy in the picture is holding a 25-lb. plate. Forget that; I need something lighter. One of the commenters at the web site said that the feet should be off the floor! No way could I manage that.

Thanks again.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:12 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
How old are you, sir?

Old 07-09-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
how old are you, sir?

Old 07-09-2013, 05:54 PM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Believe it or not, This simple exercise will give you a six pack very soon!

Slim and Six Pack workout.mp4 - YouTube

My guy friends use this particular video to exercise their abs. All got pretty good result. As for me, I don't want six pack on me, I just want my abs to be toned but soft. So I don't over exercise it.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:51 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Front planks are easy. one minute's no problem, Side planks for the obliques are much harder.

What they're calling "six-inch killers" is one from my past but with a different name. I think we called it leg raise.

The Russian twist I also recall but it didn't have a name. The guy in the picture is holding a 25-lb. plate. Forget that; I need something lighter. One of the commenters at the web site said that the feet should be off the floor!.
I agree, 1 minute front planks are easy. Side planks, and lateral front planks are fun too. Can you beat the new world plank record, 3+ hours?

On Fridays, we do super do super abs. Try this, consecutively for as many rounds as you can do (without stopping or putting your feet down). Good luck!!!
1. Knee hugs, 15 reps
2. Crunches, 20
3. Leg raise, 15
4. Crunches, 30
5. Jack knife, 10
6. Medicine ball twist, 20 each side
7. Twist crunch, 10
8. Crunches, 20
9. Jack knife, 10
10. Sit up, 10
11. Crunches, 10
12. Twist crunch, 15
13. Crunches, 10
14. Jack knife, 10
15. Straddle sit-up, 15
16. Jack knife, 10
17. Medicine ball twist, 20 each side
18. Leg raises, 20
19. Jack knife, 10
20. Hold crunch, 10
21. Crunches, 20
22. Leg raise, 15
23. Iron cross, 10
24. Knee hugs, 15
25. Jack knife, 10

Old 07-10-2013, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Believe it or not, This simple exercise will give you a six pack very soon!

Slim and Six Pack workout.mp4 - YouTube

My guy friends use this particular video to exercise their abs. All got pretty good result. As for me, I don't want six pack on me, I just want my abs to be toned but soft. So I don't over exercise it.
Thanks for sharing the video but these exercises appear to be geared for high reps which are great for endurance purposes, but I believe that hypertrophy is best developed by exercises that permit only 8-12 reps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness