Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 11:05 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,981,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
Uhhhhh...no time?
You say you have 30 minutes per day?

Very simple solution.

Alternate between muscle building and cardio.

One day do muscles ... the next day cardio. Repeat.

Use any machine you want for cardio. Just get your heart rate up for the entire 30 minutes.

Use whatever you want for muscle building. Free weights and a bench are recommended since you can do the most with them. Or do bodyweight exercises like pullups, pushups and situps. Or do a combination of both free weights and bodyweight exercises.

There are over the door pullup bars like Iron Gym which work great. I have one.

There are good pushup handles like Perfect Pushup which are also great. I have them as well.

Just push yourself hard during your muscle building exercises if you want to see muscle growth. Lift until failure. This means do the exercise until your body can't do another repetition. Then rest for around 1 minute. And do another set of the same exercise until failure. Keep doing this for the full 30 minutes, doing different exercises for around 3 - 5 sets per exercise. Mix up the different muscle exercises so they aren't always done in the same order every day.

When using a barbell and a bench, if you have no spotter, than don't lift until failure. Just lift until you still can put the bar back on the rack. If you are still worried about being pinned under the bar, then don't use the bar locks (clips / collars) so you can tilt the bar and let the plates slide off if needed. Just be careful when doing this so nobody gets hurt.

Last edited by RD5050; 08-02-2013 at 11:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 11:44 PM

1,502 posts, read 2,666,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
You say you have 30 minutes per day?

Very simple solution.

Alternate between muscle building and cardio.

One day do muscles ... the next day cardio. Repeat.

Use any machine you want for cardio. Just get your heart rate up for the entire 30 minutes.

Use whatever you want for muscle building. Free weights and a bench are recommended since you can do the most with them. Or do bodyweight exercises like pullups, pushups and situps. Or do a combination of both free weights and bodyweight exercises.

There are over the door pullup bars like Iron Gym which work great. I have one.

There are good pushup handles like Perfect Pushup which are also great. I have them as well.

Just push yourself hard during your muscle building exercises if you want to see muscle growth. Lift until failure. This means do the exercise until your body can't do another repetition. Then rest for around 1 minute. And do another set of the same exercise until failure. Keep doing this for the full 30 minutes, doing different exercises for around 3 - 5 sets per exercise. Mix up the different muscle exercises so they aren't always done in the same order every day.

When using a barbell and a bench, if you have no spotter, than don't lift until failure. Just lift until you still can put the bar back on the rack. If you are still worried about being pinned under the bar, then don't use the bar locks (clips / collars) so you can tilt the bar and let the plates slide off if needed. Just be careful when doing this so nobody gets hurt.
Hey thanks for all of this input!

I actually have a Weider 8920...here are some pics off of google images.

http://archive.pennysaverusa.com/sto...-0-400x400.jpg

http://s455.photobucket.com/user/mov...MEGY1.jpg.html

Do you know if this machine is sufficient for anything at all? I mean it does use free weights to a degree.

I kind of got discouraged though because everyone says you can't build mass off of machines. I also got a shoulder injury recently and had to go to PT so I have backed off the 8920 quite a bit. I couldn't do any wait on the butterflies at all even after PT. I had to work my way up to 5 lbs on each side then life got in the way and I stopped altogether.

I am doing burpies now after I do my easy rider. Learned that from Krav Maga classes that I took until my income and schedule took that away from me.

What do you think about that?

Thanks!!

Old 08-04-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Hey thanks for all of this input!

I actually have a Weider 8920...here are some pics off of google images.

http://archive.pennysaverusa.com/sto...-0-400x400.jpg

Weider 8920 Home Gym Photo by movingsale_01 | Photobucket

Do you know if this machine is sufficient for anything at all? I mean it does use free weights to a degree.

I kind of got discouraged though because everyone says you can't build mass off of machines. I also got a shoulder injury recently and had to go to PT so I have backed off the 8920 quite a bit. I couldn't do any wait on the butterflies at all even after PT. I had to work my way up to 5 lbs on each side then life got in the way and I stopped altogether.

I am doing burpies now after I do my easy rider. Learned that from Krav Maga classes that I took until my income and schedule took that away from me.

What do you think about that?

Thanks!!
I have no familiarity with the Weider 8920, but found the manual for it online:

Weider 8920 | English Manual

So it is a multi-exercise machine, and I would assume it would be fine for building muscle, as long as you have sufficient weights on it.

If you have an injury, then give that injury a chance to heal before working the muscles in that region. Your doctor can better advise you.

For cardio, you might try things such as a speed jump rope or jogging. Or maybe find a used cardio machine on Craigslist (treadmill, elliptical, stair stepper, exercise bike). My personal favorite is the elliptical.

Burpees look like a good exercise for cardio as well. Anything that keeps the heart rate up is good.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
I have no familiarity with the Weider 8920, but found the manual for it online:

Weider 8920 | English Manual

So it is a multi-exercise machine, and I would assume it would be fine for building muscle, as long as you have sufficient weights on it.

If you have an injury, then give that injury a chance to heal before working the muscles in that region. Your doctor can better advise you.

For cardio, you might try things such as a speed jump rope or jogging. Or maybe find a used cardio machine on Craigslist (treadmill, elliptical, stair stepper, exercise bike). My personal favorite is the elliptical.

Burpees look like a good exercise for cardio as well. Anything that keeps the heart rate up is good.
I thought that since it is a "machine", it is next to worthless...that is what I keep reading. If the 8920 is useful, what excercises would you do with it overall?

Thanks

Old 08-19-2013, 05:30 AM

Quote:
I thought that since it is a "machine", it is next to worthless...that is what I keep reading. If the 8920 is useful, what excercises would you do with it overall?

Thanks
It looks like your machine has the following abilities:

Lat Pulldowns (using the lat bar)
Chest Press (using the press arms)
Leg Extensions
Butterfly Press

You are limited to whatever functions the machine provides.

A set of dumbells would give you many more options for different exercises, so I'd recommend getting a pair of dumbell handles that fit the same plates used on your machine.

Also get a barbell that fits the same sized plates, and you can use it for squats, deadlifts, military presses, and barbell bicep curls.

Also see page 20-21 of the manual. It basically says what I said in post #21 about how to build muscle.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:18 AM

Quote:
It looks like your machine has the following abilities:

Lat Pulldowns (using the lat bar)
Chest Press (using the press arms)
Leg Extensions
Butterfly Press

You are limited to whatever functions the machine provides.

A set of dumbells would give you many more options for different exercises, so I'd recommend getting a pair of dumbell handles that fit the same plates used on your machine.

Also get a barbell that fits the same sized plates, and you can use it for squats, deadlifts, military presses, and barbell bicep curls.

Also see page 20-21 of the manual. It basically says what I said in post #21 about how to build muscle.
Thanks very much RD, I have a barbell and dumbells as well. I'll do everything you suggested. I appreciate it!

Old 08-19-2013, 09:10 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,832 times
Barbell

Old 08-19-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Barbell
eh?

Old 08-19-2013, 12:40 PM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Cardio is the most important thing for me and the easy rider does it well.
Then by all means, stick with it. The most important aspect of exercise is that you enjoy what you're doing.

If you find yourself with a little extra time, you can buy some inexpensive hand weights and use those two or three times a week. Don't discount using your body weight to build muscle, either -- squats and lunges, and any number of yoga poses are great for building muscle.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:52 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Burpees. No machine though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness