Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2013, 08:10 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,665,748 times

Advertisements

This is my current workout. I am currently 5'7 135 pounds, male so obviously thin. I"m 27

Bench Press
Incline Bench
Dumbell chest press
standing row
side dumbell lateral raises
Squats(on a machine)
Calf Raises
Leg Press
bicep curls
dips.

Do this every day 2 sets of 8-10 reps. My goals are to increase strength and maybe gain 10-15 pounds. I play basketball twice or week or so for cardio. Is this sufficient to accomplish my goals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 10:30 PM

650 posts, read 1,811,407 times
Here's what I would do if I were you:

dumbbell benchpress
dips
squats
deadlifts
pullups (close and wide)

You don't really need so many different bench press exercises, they all target the same muscle group. Dumbbells and dips should be enough for you. I also love compound exercises and feel like anything else is not a good utilization of time and effort. So I don't normally do calf raises, leg press, or bicep curls unless I'm bored. All those groups get covered by the list above.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:18 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,966,576 times
heavy compound lifts with reps in the 3-5 range is what you need to be doing if you just want strength and mass gains. Keep it simple. Squats, deads, bench press(like nude said, throw some dumbbells in too), strict military press, and pullups/weighted pullups.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:46 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,994,262 times
You should mix and vary your exercise regime so that you keep your muscles working. If you do that same routine every time it becomes just that: routine. Your muscles get used to it and it won't take long before your they are literally just going through the motions. Mixing some different types of workouts in from time to time may help push you over the edge.

Also, you have a goal to gain weight, but you did not give a time frame. Were you looking to do this in a year? Half a year? Whatever your answer, look for that fine balance between ambitious and realistic. You want to push yourself but setting the bar too high for yourself is not a good thing.

Good luck!

Old 08-06-2013, 05:51 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,014 times
startingstrength.com forums and eat more. Dont take advice from people who are probably just as small as you

Old 08-06-2013, 06:07 AM

515 posts, read 1,004,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
This is my current workout. I am currently 5'7 135 pounds, male so obviously thin. I"m 27

Bench Press
Incline Bench
Dumbell chest press
standing row
Squats(on a machine)
Calf Raises
Leg Press
bicep curls
dips.

Do this every day 2 sets of 8-10 reps. My goals are to increase strength and maybe gain 10-15 pounds. I play basketball twice or week or so for cardio. Is this sufficient to accomplish my goals?
Eat more food. Train full body with compound movements. Add in some glamour muscle work to fill out the body a bit. Start a food journal; I guarantee you aren't eating enough food to get bigger and guessing at what you ate isn't going to cut it. People that want to gain weight think they're eating a lot more than they actually are just as people that want to lose weight are eating much more than they think they are.

Get Bigger and Put on Mass

faq - Fitness

FAQ:Introduction - Starting Strength Wiki

StrongLifts: Gain Muscle And Strength While Losing Fat StrongLifts

http://www.elitefts.com/ws4sb/WS4SB.pdf Westside For Skinny Bastards(pdf file)

Greyskull LP

Pick one and stick with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
startingstrength.com forums and eat more. Dont take advice from people who are probably just as small as you
I can't give you any more rep since you're usually the only person I give it to.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:27 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,014 times
Thanks but im not here for rep. I am passionate about body building and like to share my knowledge with others from time to time

Actually forgot about this thread OP. You can get all the info you need about starting strength routines

***Rippetoe's Starting Strength FAQ*** - Bodybuilding.com Forums

Who is it designed for?
The Starting Strength programs are primarily designed for skinny male teenagers who want to get bigger and stronger, especially for athletic purpose. However, it can and does work very well for ANY novice who wants to get stronger on the basic/core compound movements. This could be a brand new lifter, somebody who has been 'going to the gym' for years but never followed a solid and GOOD routine or an iron veteran returning from a lengthy layoff.

If you can keep up with the rate of progression and want to get stronger SS should be a consideration. However, the rate of progression is very aggressive and copious amounts of food and sleep help substantially. It is possible to run SS while on a cut (that, a caloric deficit where you lose bodyweight) if you are, no offense intended, overweight/fat enough and especially if you are also a complete newbie to weight training. On that note, here is a brief article about this (and more) written by Mr. Rippetoe:

Old 08-06-2013, 05:53 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,647,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post

Bench Press
Incline Bench
Dumbell chest press
standing row
Squats(on a machine)
Calf Raises
Leg Press
bicep curls
dips.

Do not lift on consecutive days for the same muscle groups. You could split upper body and lower body and lift 5-6 day per week. As others have mentioned, incorporate more compound exercises. You have too many bench press type exercises including the dips. You need to balance out your pressing exercises with more pulling type exercises. I suggest you include 3 sets of pull-ups, three days a week. I would also add power cleans.

Lift heavier weights. I suggest 5-8 reps. I have read Ripptoe's workouts and think you will get better results with 5-8 if you are concentrating more on size and weight as opposed to strength.

Several of your exercises are small muscle exercises that won't do much to help you gain weight. These include side dumbbell lateral raises, Calf Raises, and bicep curls.

I've never seen a machine to do squats but I'm sure they exist. I suggest barbell squats and deadlifts 2 or 3 times a week.

Regarding diet, my advice is simple, avoid being hungry. Eat a decent breakfast and carry protein bars with you so that you always have something to eat. Get some protein in your body ASAP after you lift.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:16 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,966,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Hey Ive seen some small guys in my time move alot of weight. Being small doesnt automatically mean weak and uninformed on strength building.

starting strength is a really good strength program. A few of the smaller guys at our CF gym have done it, and gotten real good results.

Crossfitfootball.com also has a good lifting program, that is broken down into Amateur, Collegiate, and Pro. Amateur level, which is probably what the OP would start at, is very simple. it mainly consists of deads, squats, and various presses.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:17 PM

793 posts, read 1,418,930 times
Go with a tried and true program.

Also throwing my chit in for Starting STrength.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness