Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 03:01 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,461,411 times

Advertisements

I just sat down and figured out my gym fees for all of 2012, and it came to a whopping $3000!

I was shocked that I had spent that much. I belong to a small, private, class-based gym and really love it there. Love the trainers, the people, and the friends I've made. Love the variety of classes - from spinning to pilates to TRX, kickboxing, etc.

But ~ getting ready to send my son to college and this is an expense I have to get a handle on or at least manage better.

I really hate going to a gym and doing the elliptical, etc. I do have one at home and going to have to start using it more often! A big thing here is doing the 'steps' at two lakes/reservoirs, that we have.
Seems like a pretty good workout and it's free . . . .but I seem to need people around me . . . .maybe I can get it down to two classes a week at the pricey gym and do the rest on my own.

Thanks for letting me vent. I'll be so sad if I have to give up my gym completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 08:13 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,750,721 times
You are spending way too much, you spend more than me doing muay thai and competitive jiu jitsu at one of the best schools in the country.

Going to the gym is simple, it is all of these little "additions" (and costly at that) that add up. If you are having issues affording it, how about cut all the BS out of going to the gym? You do not need none of the spinning, trx, etc to be in shape.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:59 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,125,145 times
Holy moly, that is a lot of money!
I used to go to a high end fitness center..every amenity and upgrade and class and juice bar and yada yada but a third of $3,000 a year and honestly I did not do much other than machines and free weights.

Is there a Snap Fitness or YMCA in your orbit? A tenth of the price ($25-35 per month) and you'll have all the machines, free weights plus maybe pool and whatever else depending where you live.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:23 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,461,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You are spending way too much, you spend more than me doing muay thai and competitive jiu jitsu at one of the best schools in the country.

Going to the gym is simple, it is all of these little "additions" (and costly at that) that add up. If you are having issues affording it, how about cut all the BS out of going to the gym? You do not need none of the spinning, trx, etc to be in shape.
I know but it's FUN. And all my friends are there. I've decided to stay there two days a week (there's no membership fee, it's pay per class) and add on a very cheap class at our local Rec center; and do the rest outdoors until winter. Then maybe find another cheap Rec center class to supplement.

I have my own elliptical that I could use on my off days.

That will cut the fees down considerably.

I just got two free weeks at Title Boxing so I'm going to use that . . . .and then resist the urge to join. Because I don't think I want that to be my only workout for a year.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:07 AM

3,819 posts, read 9,438,571 times
Right now I'm in about the best shape I've been in the past decade. All I'm doing is kettlebells, trail running and body weight exercises like push ups & pull ups. I like going to the gym, but needed to cut my expenses. Focused on the equipment that I had around the house and made it work.

Last year when I was in the middle of relocating to a new town, broke and had no access to my equipment I went even more minimalist. Found one of those parks with the fitness loops and did circuits of those. Then I did the BFR workout (Big, Friggin' Rock), would go hiking to warm up then start picking up rocks to work out with. Did deadlifts, squats, lunges, presses with various sized rocks laying around my hiking trail.

If you put your mind to it you can get in great shape with very little need for equipment.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:44 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,918,322 times
Can't stand gyms. Terrible fees and horrendous contracts that are PITA to get out of when you want to cancel your membership.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:48 AM

28,896 posts, read 54,045,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I just sat down and figured out my gym fees for all of 2012, and it came to a whopping $3000!

I was shocked that I had spent that much. I belong to a small, private, class-based gym and really love it there. Love the trainers, the people, and the friends I've made. Love the variety of classes - from spinning to pilates to TRX, kickboxing, etc.

But ~ getting ready to send my son to college and this is an expense I have to get a handle on or at least manage better.

I really hate going to a gym and doing the elliptical, etc. I do have one at home and going to have to start using it more often! A big thing here is doing the 'steps' at two lakes/reservoirs, that we have.
Seems like a pretty good workout and it's free . . . .but I seem to need people around me . . . .maybe I can get it down to two classes a week at the pricey gym and do the rest on my own.

Thanks for letting me vent. I'll be so sad if I have to give up my gym completely.
I'm really sorry. But if you are that strapped and are blowing $3000 a year on a gym while your family has pressing financial needs, you need to realize that's being a little narcissistic.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:59 AM

4,105 posts, read 5,534,581 times
My gym is very small as it's a small town, but it suits my needs. Full membership for me since I'm over 60 is £23/month including the gym, pool, all classes, the health suite. I haven't used a trainer other the one I got with my induction when I joined, or when asking for recommendations as needed.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:06 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,412,743 times
The only gyms I will go to are community centers with nice fitness and aquatic facilities...$15-30/mo. unlimited access and no crowds beats high-end gyms any day.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:15 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,166,102 times
Sounds like you go to Equinox. I go to a golds that has everything but a track and pool, and it's 25 bucks a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness