Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 09:18 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,388,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Try the elliptical machine, you can get a full body workout, burn a boat load of calories.
No, you won't burn a "boatload of calories" on the Elliptical unless you're relying on their ridiculously inflated calorie counter.

I use the elliptical as a low impact alternative to running on my "rest" days from running. I do an intense, very fast workout at the highest resistance level for 50 minutes. I am female, 5'9 and about 136 pounds. The machine allows me to input my age, gender and weight and still inanely inflates the calories to 810.

That's just insanely inflated!!! I always write down that I burn 400 calories in 50 minutes and believe me, I am not leaning on the handlebars and not slacking it. I run 60 miles a week and am in excellent shape, so I'm able to go hard and fast on the ET.

So no...nobody is burning a boatload of calories on the ET unless you weigh a lot or stay on it for 200 or more minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 05:16 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
No, you won't burn a "boatload of calories" on the Elliptical unless you're relying on their ridiculously inflated calorie counter.

I use the elliptical as a low impact alternative to running on my "rest" days from running. I do an intense, very fast workout at the highest resistance level for 50 minutes. I am female, 5'9 and about 136 pounds. The machine allows me to input my age, gender and weight and still inanely inflates the calories to 810.

That's just insanely inflated!!! I always write down that I burn 400 calories in 50 minutes and believe me, I am not leaning on the handlebars and not slacking it. I run 60 miles a week and am in excellent shape, so I'm able to go hard and fast on the ET.

So no...nobody is burning a boatload of calories on the ET unless you weigh a lot or stay on it for 200 or more minutes.

I burn 368 calories for every 40 mins I am on the ellipitcal..I do it 6 days a week...you do the math, it's a boatload of calories.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:49 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
Hungry all the time could be the food you eat. Eat lot more fibrous vegetables, proteins, and fats. Cut the carbs down a bit.

Not that carb counting will make you lose weight. Veggies, fat and protein just make you feel more satisfied. Go ahead and eat a pound of carrots and tell me you're still hungry.
I've successfully eaten 1400 calories a day in an experimental cut this way. For the record, my maintenance level is around 3200 calories a day.

That's the kind of thing I'm working on, cutting way back on breads and other "white carbs" and eating more veggies - still have to watch my snacking though :P

Maintenance level of 3200 calories a day - how do you manage that? Is it due to your height and weight? Mine's around 2200 a day, more or less. My height is a hair under six feet, age 46 (they tell me I look young for my age though...lol).

Another question - is it possible to gain strength while losing weight? I know I've gained *some* strength over the past few weeks, by the increased weights I'm able to lift - I'm just wonder if this can be sustained over 40 more pounds of weight loss. Or should I take a break around the holiday time and just lift real heavy (while cutting back on cardio) during a time in which I'll be eating more anyways, and resume my steady weight loss regime once I've "bulked up" a bit?

Old 08-18-2013, 06:47 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
That's the kind of thing I'm working on, cutting way back on breads and other "white carbs" and eating more veggies - still have to watch my snacking though :P

Maintenance level of 3200 calories a day - how do you manage that? Is it due to your height and weight? Mine's around 2200 a day, more or less. My height is a hair under six feet, age 46 (they tell me I look young for my age though...lol).

Another question - is it possible to gain strength while losing weight? I know I've gained *some* strength over the past few weeks, by the increased weights I'm able to lift - I'm just wonder if this can be sustained over 40 more pounds of weight loss. Or should I take a break around the holiday time and just lift real heavy (while cutting back on cardio) during a time in which I'll be eating more anyways, and resume my steady weight loss regime once I've "bulked up" a bit?

Why don't you get yourself a personal trainer that is able to help you one on one with your diet and exercise? They aren't expensive and can get you on the right track with your new lifestyle.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:55 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Why don't you get yourself a personal trainer that is able to help you one on one with your diet and exercise? They aren't expensive and can get you on the right track with your new lifestyle.
On my budget, they're too expensive...lol.

If I was going to spend a bit of money on my weight loss program, I'd join Weight Watchers, as I think that's where I need the most work, i.e., watching and managing what I eat. So I may give that a shot later on down the line if I feel I'm unable to make additional progress on my own. But as long I'm losing a pound a week or so, I'm going to stick with my current program, tweaking it as needed as time goes on.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:58 AM

149 posts, read 203,298 times
bike riding worked for me, 1 - 1.5 hours a day.

then cut things from your diet entirely, cheeses bbq sauces etc.

replace your white bread with whole wheat.

gradually do it, I have plenty of cheater meals in between and still cut weight from being active.

IDK how to nor did I count calories so no comment there, it's just a matter of knowing exactly what is bad for you and not eating it.

goodluck.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:27 AM

645 posts, read 1,964,532 times
I use a heart rate monitor. I try to burn about 1,000 calories in about 70 minutes.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:52 AM

793 posts, read 1,419,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post

I'm 6'7. So, yeah.

Yes, you can gain strength while losing weight. If you are really overfat, you can gain a slight amount of muscle while losing.

You dont really gain muscle while losing weight - but your body gets better at using your muscle, making you much stronger. It reaches a point though where you simply need to put on muscle to get stronger - then you have to eat in a surplus.

You don't need to drop food groups. I lost 50lbs eating a donut every day.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:35 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,475 times
Northstar -- Congratulations on your weight loss! Keep doing what you're doing...do not try to lose more than one lb a week. Slow and steady weight loss is the way to keep it off even after you stop being so diligent. It's a matter of math -- cut 3600 calories (either by eating less or by exercise or a combo thereof) per week and lose a pound. If you try to accelerate this, you risk damaging yourself -- feeling woozy, for instance, is not a good sign. Every doctor I've spoken to about weight says the worst thing a person can do is 'crash diet' or 'yo-yo'.

Remember also that muscle burns more efficiently than fat but the more you weigh the more calories you burn. Change up your routine every couple of weeks...if you run, try biking, if you bike, try swimming, etc...to encourage your body to continue to burn calories, rather than become accustomed to one or two exercises.

See if you can hire a trainer for just one or two sessions. They can help with your form -- improving your 'burn' from the weights you lift and keeping you from injury -- as well as help you spot where you can increase your activity.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:54 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo31 View Post
I use a heart rate monitor. I try to burn about 1,000 calories in about 70 minutes.
What exactly are you doing that allows you to burn 1000 calories in 70 minutes?

Below is a link to calories burned by exercise.
NutriStrategy - Examples of Calories Burned During Exercise, Running, Swimming, Walking to Weightlifting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness