Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 11:07 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
It's all personal and trainer preference.

At my gym, we do cardio BEFORE weight training. This is per training & review of scientific research by my trainer who is an advisor to "the biggest loser."

Do you have someone to help you or are you trying to figure this out on your own? Can you ask the staff at your gym for help/ideas? I belong to Golds so yes.

My question to the OP would be, are you really new to working out? What type of cardio are you doing? Perhaps you are pushing yourself too hard with the cardio. Perhaps you should back off on the intensity and time, and add in some strength training. I am not new to working out. Doing stairmaster/running. Dont feel that is too intense at all honestly. Will probably switch to weigths first.

What type of weight lifting/strength training are you trying to do? Which movements? A 5x5 plan and do mainly compount movement. Thinking of trying the 3/5/1 plan (or something like that)

It is possible to do your weight lifting as a cardio workout. You would do this by doing lighter weight and taking shorter breaks between sets. And by doing doing compound movements. Although, if you are a newbie to working out, this may still be too much for you. You could start out with body weight exercises also.
. I am working out for strenght gains but want to increase endurance. I might do a light weight week (de-load)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 11:30 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
If your goal is strength, then you need to do your cardio on non-lift days.

What are your goals with cardio?

Old 08-22-2013, 07:34 AM

2,702 posts, read 6,029,743 times
Which of these helps you burn more calories? I take Zumba classes during the week & I also do strength-training too...I will do 3 classes of zumba & 2 strength-training (or weight-lifting) classes.

Zumba helps me burn right on the spot, but I hear that weight-lifting/strenght-training helps you burn throughout the day versus cardio...

Old 08-22-2013, 08:24 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Why don't you experiment and see what works for you? Everyone has their own preferences.

Generally, on weight training days, I'll do cardio for 10 or 15 minutes to warm up, then use the weight machines, and then go back for another 15-30 minutes of cardio.

Other days I've been known to do cardio for up to an hour before going to the weight machines. Depends on what I'm in the mood for.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:04 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
and the reasoning behind this would be?

Old 08-22-2013, 09:43 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
and the reasoning behind this would be?
Because, ideally, your weight workouts would be too taxing to continue with cardio.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:07 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Ive done cardio first, and vise versa. I find cardio first works best for me, and has given me the best results.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:50 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Because, ideally, your weight workouts would be too taxing to continue with cardio.

I suppose that could be true for some. I also suppose it depends on yoru work capacity. Doing cardio(intensive like HIIT) would not be a good idea to do on your supposed rest days though. In my opinion its better to do cardio on your weight training days so you can actually rest on your rest days.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:04 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
I suppose that could be true for some. I also suppose it depends on yoru work capacity. Doing cardio(intensive like HIIT) would not be a good idea to do on your supposed rest days though. In my opinion its better to do cardio on your weight training days so you can actually rest on your rest days.
It also depends on your cardio goals too. Like hypothetically if you were training for a 10k and strength.

But I think everyone should take one day off from everything.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:56 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

What are your goals with cardio?

Endurance/Heart health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness