Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 11:12 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,411,184 times

Advertisements

My time is limited so I usually can only get to a gym 2 times a week. I find myself tyring to incorporate cardio at weight training in same workout .
Problem is after doing cardio for about 1/2 hr I feel pretty drained to do strenght training. I have been told to do cardio before weights , would this be correct.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 11:17 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,627,339 times
Its not incorrect since its personal preference.However, most people that actually know what they are talking about will tell you do cardio after weight training for the exact reason you stated which is you are too gassed to weight train with any type of intensity that will actually help you produce gains. <--Long sentence

There is a bro science involved as well that lifting weights deplete your glycogen and therefore doing cardio after weight training puts you into fat burning mode right away. As I said its bro science though. It actually takes hours of weight training to blow through your glycogen stores.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:31 AM

6,432 posts, read 7,724,496 times
I was just about to lay some bro science on ya until I read what skel said.

Just want to add that if it were me, I would definitely keep on with the weight training but put more time into cardio. So maybe something like a 65% cardio and 35% weight training ratio - in terms of time spent that is.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:38 AM

110 posts, read 258,398 times
I always do cardio after workout, if you want to burn fat or if your muscle building its advisable to do it after training as your body is in afterburn effect.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:41 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,627,339 times
I knew it wouldnt take long.

There is something called EPOC which is exercise post oxygen consumption which basically means your body is still burning calories after an intense workout. Usually this is due to lifting heavy weights during compound movements or putting large muscle groups under stress.

There are websites like livestrong which say you can burn more fat by doing cardio after lifting weights yet i have not seen anything they have offered wich can back it up

Last edited by skel1977; 08-20-2013 at 01:06 PM..

Old 08-20-2013, 02:46 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,411,184 times
One of the problems with cardio after weights is that it is difficult to run for example if you have just done squats which I like to do often.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:17 PM

18,082 posts, read 18,686,465 times
So you think doing squats will be fine after running?

Old 08-20-2013, 03:45 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,730,126 times
Depends on your goals. Do some circuit training. That's both at once.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:49 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,786,306 times
It's all personal and trainer preference.

At my gym, we do cardio BEFORE weight training. This is per training & review of scientific research by my trainer who is an advisor to "the biggest loser."

Do you have someone to help you or are you trying to figure this out on your own? Can you ask the staff at your gym for help/ideas?

My question to the OP would be, are you really new to working out? What type of cardio are you doing? Perhaps you are pushing yourself too hard with the cardio. Perhaps you should back off on the intensity and time, and add in some strength training.

What type of weight lifting/strength training are you trying to do? Which movements?

It is possible to do your weight lifting as a cardio workout. You would do this by doing lighter weight and taking shorter breaks between sets. And by doing doing compound movements. Although, if you are a newbie to working out, this may still be too much for you. You could start out with body weight exercises also.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:23 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,703,964 times
I am in the weights first/cardio second camp. I find I have more energy for the cardio after the weights than vice versa. If I start with cardio, I have no energy for weights. When I start with the weights, midway through the cardio I get a burst of extra energy to power through.

But I think at the end of the day, depending on your goals, the best workout is the one you do consistently. The only timing that is important, is the timing that makes you prioritize it on a regular basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness