Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 11:30 PM

131 posts, read 160,100 times

Advertisements

A co- worker talked me into participating in a tough mudder event next February. Any tips on training? Also, I work nights, so training with others may be a challenge, but I'm excited to be a part of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 06:31 AM

6,455 posts, read 7,761,660 times
It's a bit of a goofy event IMO. I would compare teh difficulty level to running a half marathon. It's about the same length but since it's not a competition you can take your time with the obstacles and get a rest here and there.

I'm pretty fit so didn't really do any specific training. I ran, cycled, weight trained, and swam - but I do all that regularly. It would make sense however to concentrate on body weight stuff, there is a good amount of pulling and pushing yourself up, bending down, crawling, etc.

Make srue to stay hydrated. The Boston one that just passed was at a ski resort in New Hampshire and it was hard because of so much uphill running. One of our teammates got heatstroke.

Best of luck and have fun

Old 08-22-2013, 09:59 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,288,409 times
Ive done a couple of them.

I'm more into triathlons (currently training for my Ironman), but tough mudders are a lot fun; cant stop laughing throughout the courses, you'll have blast. gl

Old 08-22-2013, 12:51 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,949,595 times
Really don't get why I'd pay money to run in mud. Everytime I see it, its around $80...thats some expensive mud.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:40 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,321,941 times
It is a running event so focus on standard running training. Do a long run every week for aerobic capacity. Do intervals for speed (e.g. 800 meter repeats). Do a tempo run for both (e.g. run 30 mins to an hour at a taxing pace for you). Do easy running on the other days.

If there are obstacles, do some upper body workouts too, like push-ups, pull-ups, etc. Have fun; I wish there had been events like this when I was younger.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:31 PM

802 posts, read 1,677,964 times
Just read about this event online and it seems really interesting. Too bad I can barely swim or I would definitely attempt this.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:31 AM

6,455 posts, read 7,761,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Really don't get why I'd pay money to run in mud. Everytime I see it, its around $80...thats some expensive mud.
you get a free beer.

I was roped into it by people who formed a team. I didn't know anyone on the team except for one person.

But don't be such a grouch...it's about having fun. From what I saw, this event is more for the 20 somethings or thereabouts. Once you're in your mid 30's these types of things seen more like sport keggers.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:27 AM

131 posts, read 160,100 times
Guess, I'll really have to focus on my running. Haha..my co-worker/friend told me we will get tased as well, yikes! Thanks for the tips everyone!

Old 08-23-2013, 10:43 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,949,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
you get a free beer.

I was roped into it by people who formed a team. I didn't know anyone on the team except for one person.

But don't be such a grouch...it's about having fun. From what I saw, this event is more for the 20 somethings or thereabouts. Once you're in your mid 30's these types of things seen more like sport keggers.

IDK, I did x-country in high school and had to run throught some real muddy spots. I can't imagine paying to run..its literally the cheapest form of excerise. I rather pay for some MMA classes or something useful.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:00 AM

3,820 posts, read 9,438,571 times
This is one of the races that irritates me, whatever happened to just setting up a start/finish line, charge $25, pass out a cheap t-shirt and put on a race. Now we have all the "tough" races, color races, electric races, rock 'n roll races or other stupid themes that all charge way too much money. I've done trail running races that are way tougher than a Tough Mudder. Last one I did was 10 miles with over 1500 feet of gain the first five miles. For $20 I got timed, had a beer or two at the finish and a cheap t-shirt.

One of the "bro" personal trainers at my gym just did a tough mudder and would not shut up about it. Made sure that he wore his tough mudder headband for the next 3 months to tell all of his clients how hardcore he was. Wanted to grab him and invite him out to my usual weekend trail run or hike and see how he would do. Will stop the rant now, just seeing how this guy would not shut up about tough mudders has made me biased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness