U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 08:24 AM

17,981 posts, read 18,705,965 times

Advertisements

This made me laugh on a Friday morning (warning: salty language):

The 6 Most Shockingly Irresponsible “Fitspiration” Photos | Reembody

Quote:
I can’t believe I have to write this next sentence but, here goes: crawling on the floor weeping while you puke all over yourself is not healthy.

Your body has limits. Those limits are there so that daily function—up to and including heavy manual labor—requires a relatively small amount of physical stress and sacrifice. This means that, if you get into a spontaneous bar fight with a group of neo-Nazis and must defeat them to protect the beautiful tattooed bartender with the dark secret—I’m not the only one who has that fantasy, right?—well, it means that you’re not going into action with a bunch of used-up joints. Your back may look like a gunnysack full of angry pythons, but that won’t mean squat (ha!) when you herniate a disk.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 08:31 AM

10,031 posts, read 7,605,353 times
Really the ***** here is a lot of whoey. Motivate yourself the way you see fit, including rhetorical chest thumping. Having met Mr Pukey myself, I can honestly say that that was the best workout of my life.

What someone else is "saying" to you has no bearing unless you hear it.

The vast majority of people's problem with fitness is not pushing themselves to hard.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:31 AM

3,073 posts, read 3,416,481 times
I agree. I've been into fitness for a long time (and doing Crossfit long before it caught on and fueled a lot of this stuff), and some of that 'fitspo' is really just as disordered as 'thinspo'.

I still train but I left the group fitness/community behind, the girls were just as disordered, obsessing about different things (in other words, same shat, different day), and I got tired of it.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:08 AM

810 posts, read 1,292,654 times
There is a difference between going past your comfort zone and reaching dangerous levels of exertion.

Something I have always stressed to my friends and people I have helped train in the past is that yes, exercise should be difficult and you should be pushing yourself past that comfortable level so that you experience some discomfort and soreness; however, pain is a message from your body telling you that something is wrong and you need to stop. The whole chest-thumping meatheaded "motivation" pictures and quotes make me roll my eyes, and I believe that in the long run do more harm than good.

That is honestly the reason why I chose not to join a crossfit box, opting instead for training at a boxing gym. For a program that has a philosophy of "leave your ego at the door," they sure don't practice that when making shirts with the quote "your workout is my warmup" on the front. I hate that stereotype of people into fitness and weight training as "dumb meathead grunts," but some of the "fitspo" crap sure doesn't help.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:33 AM

810 posts, read 1,292,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
This made me laugh on a Friday morning (warning: salty language):

The 6 Most Shockingly Irresponsible “Fitspiration” Photos | Reembody

Also, another thing that I liked on that blog how, yes, strong is sexy, but all the girls on those pictures are skinny! I love strong women, but you don't have to be thin and ripped to be strong. If they want to show pictures of women who have serious strength, they should post pictures of Sarah Robles:

Or Holley Mangold

But something tells me that both of those incredible women won't have the pleasure of being part of a "fitspo" photo.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:20 AM

17,981 posts, read 18,705,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
Also, another thing that I liked on that blog how, yes, strong is sexy, but all the girls on those pictures are skinny! I love strong women, but you don't have to be thin and ripped to be strong. If they want to show pictures of women who have serious strength, they should post pictures of Sarah Robles:

Or Holley Mangold

But something tells me that both of those incredible women won't have the pleasure of being part of a "fitspo" photo.
Yeah, that's what he was saying: that's it's still not about being strong or healthy, it's about being hot. So those kind of photos are telling women "not only do you have to be thin, you now have to be ripped, too." Which for people with eating disorders or obsessive compulsive issues isn't a great message.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:06 PM

9,708 posts, read 9,499,596 times
I do not think it is a good comparison to compare someone who has one focus, competitive lifting to someone who is just looking to be strong, yet maintain low body fat.

While someone, like me, could state "my goal is to be strong as possible" I also do this with the goal of keeping my body fat around 15%. It of course would be much easier to just cram down food and become stronger, with a body fat around 30%.

So the women in the first thread of course are concerned about vanity, they could easily skip the lifting and still be thin and considered "hot" looking; just the fact they engage in lifting should afford them a little credit in regards to they are also concerned with strength/fitness.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:37 PM

2,117 posts, read 4,156,324 times
Or you could just find pictures of 48, 53, 58, 63, 69 kilo female lifters that have higher sinclairs than Robles or Mangold (nothing wrong with either of the two, especially considering I lift with the lifter than took place for Robles for Worlds in Warsaw..).

Old 09-14-2013, 04:42 PM

2,529 posts, read 2,798,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post

Or Holley Mangold

Well, I may get flamed for saying this, but there's a reason pictures of these and similar women wouldn't be motivational or inspirational for probably the majority of women out there - or at least those who aren't obsessively into weight lifting and/or those looking for a heterosexual relationship. Because let's be honest, how many men out there would find either of these women even remotely attractive as potential partners? Probably not many. And like it or not, looking attractive to a potential mate IS a very important life goal for most of us, much more so then simply being 'strong' or lifting X amount of weight. It's nothing to do with media messages, simply nature.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:13 PM

2,117 posts, read 4,156,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Well, I may get flamed for saying this, but there's a reason pictures of these and similar women wouldn't be motivational or inspirational for probably the majority of women out there - or at least those who aren't obsessively into weight lifting and/or those looking for a heterosexual relationship. Because let's be honest, how many men out there would find either of these women even remotely attractive as potential partners? Probably not many. And like it or not, looking attractive to a potential mate IS a very important life goal for most of us, much more so then simply being 'strong' or lifting X amount of weight. It's nothing to do with media messages, simply nature.
Point validated.

It's too bad he didn't post photos of the lower weight class females (48-69).

Lifting at US Nationals and seeing the 48, 53, 58, 63, 69 females lift is really a sight to see. So many good looking ladies (yes they look like ladies).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness