U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 01:31 PM

2,386 posts, read 5,284,776 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I would obviously like to know what your thoughts on steroids are on (obviously). I was always on the fence with steroids when I was younger, as a kid and teenager. Like many people, I thought it was for cheaters, liars, and scum. Liars, scum, cheaters whom I did secretly admire (Olympic athletes, pro wrestlers, body builders etc) for their performances and aesthetics. I was always perplexed because as much as I felt it was immoral I couldn't help but admire these athletes who took them and obviously worked hard, I would question what was so bad about it but the thought of even supporting these guys was a sin when I was young. I always had it beat into my head that steroids was bad and my mother would crucify me if she found out I praised anyone on he juice.

Once I hit 17 however and started hitting the "real gyms" I was introduced to the world of steroids and was flabbergasted by how many men and (some) women were injecting shots of testosterone into their butt cheeks. I had a friend who was 19 and into body building whom I would work out with, he was solid as a rock and denied he took steroids. Part of the reason was because I was so (blindly) against it and thought it was the worse thing you can do to yourself and others. When he introduced me to the hardcore body building and power lifting type gyms and introduced me to many of his body building and power lifting friends, is when he came clean to me about his steroid use.

At first, I felt a bit uncomfortable but I wasn't ABOUT to start going on my rant on steroids in a locker room full of roided, muscle bound, 250lb plus guys. From that day forward, my views on steroids changed pretty dramatically. Instead of judging my friends and all the other people whom I knew were openly on juice, I started asking about their experiences about steroids.

I have to say I was surprised. I was expecting all the false preconceived notions we hear about steroids: How steroids users have roid rage, you take it once and you're the hulk, you have psychotic episodes, and all the things the mainstream media has demonized about it. Sure, I meant a few lunkers, a few A-holes who had an attitude problem but for the most part; the people I knew who were on steroids were pretty great people.

Yes, there are side effects as we all know but not one person I knew on steroids had roid rage and I found the people who did take steroids worked out 3 times as hard. Fast forward from my aspiring body building days to training in MMA/grappling contest days. I ended up meeting plenty of people who also took steroids for better performance and recovery. Especially since martial arts can be such a physically demanding sport, I understood why a lot of these participates were taking them. And not everyone who was on the juice were whipping everyone's arse. Sure, they were probably stronger, faster, bigger more explosive but not all of them won a grappling competition.

Without writing an essay or novel on the issue; I've learned that I'm accepting of steroids. I see the benefits of its use and I can see why some people use it. I've never used it myself and personally really don't want to use it. It's too costly for me to begin with and I honestly feel that I might go a tad bit overboard with it, especially if I'm seeing great results. I have people like my uncle and cousin who have muscle depleting sicknesses or a sickness which lower their testosterone levels and it has helped them greatly and of course theirs people who want to perform better in their sport and some just for vanity.

From my experience, I never knew anyone who has overdosed on the juice and most the people I know (which is quite a lot) are good people. They're not monsters and I've never seen them flip out and do anything berserk. I'm not trying to be a steroids advocate but I think there's definitely a huge misconception about steroids.

Here's a really good documentary which I found is really informal and objective if you want to know more about steroids:
BIGGER STRONGER FASTER FULL DOCUMENTARY - YouTube

Anyway, whats your take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 02:00 PM

7,376 posts, read 12,541,198 times
Before i saw the bottom of your post, i was going to say for anyone with pre concieved notions of what steroids are go watch bigger strong faster.

Yep, Ive thought about using steroids but have decided against it for the time being. Maybe once im done having children ill re think it

Old 09-30-2013, 02:05 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,894,092 times
Bigger, Stronger, Faster is awesome documentary.

As a rule of thumb almost all documentaries are propaganda because the people behind making them already know what message they want to send, so, they select what they will to fit the narrative they've constructed.

But the anti-steroids craze is propaganda too. And I thought the BSF documentary really helped provide a more balanced perspective.

I briefly took steroids when I was in the Marines. The first one I was on was the Mexican Sten. Just awesome stuff. It surpassed my expectations. That's the best physically I ever felt in my life too. But I also had a better diet during that time too. I followed the advice of not drinking alcohol and not eating greasy foods while I was on the juice. I only took steroids very briefly though.

At my company I had no idea how many Marines were on them until I was brought into that circle of users. Very few had any "roid rages," and those 2 or 3 that did already had explosive tempers anyways. So, the steroids just made it worse.

I would say about 25% of my Marine Corps company was on steroids.

I don't think I would ever take them again though. Currently, the risk vs benefit ratio has the health risks outweighing the benefits for me. I only have one kidney now as it is. I don't want to exacerbate hair loss either.

But for others... I'm not against them using them. And I wish the media would get off the nut s___ of all these professional athletes using them.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Before i saw the bottom of your post, i was going to say for anyone with pre concieved notions of what steroids are go watch bigger strong faster.

Yep, Ive thought about using steroids but have decided against it for the time being. Maybe once im done having children ill re think it
Definitely, I feel the same. I think I'll definitely take steroids after I have children but more particularly when I'm 55 and up. At that age I'm sure I won't go ape poop using them and I'll just want to get more of a boost of testosterone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
Bigger, Stronger, Faster is awesome documentary.

As a rule of thumb almost all documentaries are propaganda because the people behind making them already know what message they want to send, so, they select what they will to fit the narrative they've constructed.

But the anti-steroids craze is propaganda too. And I thought the BSF documentary really helped provide a more balanced perspective.

I briefly took steroids when I was in the Marines. The first one I was on was the Mexican Sten. Just awesome stuff. It surpassed my expectations. That's the best physically I ever felt in my life too. But I also had a better diet during that time too. I followed the advice of not drinking alcohol and not eating greasy foods while I was on the juice. I only took steroids very briefly though.

At my company I had no idea how many Marines were on them until I was brought into that circle of users. Very few had any "roid rages," and those 2 or 3 that did already had explosive tempers anyways. So, the steroids just made it worse.

I would say about 25% of my Marine Corps company was on steroids.

I don't think I would ever take them again though. Currently, the risk vs benefit ratio has the health risks outweighing the benefits for me. I only have one kidney now as it is. I don't want to exacerbate hair loss either.

But for others... I'm not against them using them. And I wish the media would get off the nut s___ of all these professional athletes using them.

Of course, I agree. I just found Bigger, Stronger, Faster to be one of the most well balanced documentaries out there. It wasn't pro or anti-steroids but just gave a very objective view on what it does, how it works, how its used etc.

The same thing from my perspective, I found the people who had "roid rage" were already A-holes as it is and it just made them a bigger anus.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:26 PM

Here's a guy whom I found pretty transparent about his experience on steroids, whether you agree with him or not I like his view on the matter:

Missing out if you don't use steroids and other drugs!? Frank Yang interviews Jerry (Bios3Training) - YouTube

Old 09-30-2013, 02:28 PM

12,718 posts, read 12,120,708 times
"But for others... I'm not against them using them. And I wish the media would get off the nut s___ of all these professional athletes using them."

I disagree; it puts people who choose not to use them at a competitive disadvantage.

This is like you wanting to join a company, but find out the only way you can keep up with the work is if you do lines of cocaine every day. The drugs artificially inflates the level of performance occurring.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
"But for others... I'm not against them using them. And I wish the media would get off the nut s___ of all these professional athletes using them."

I disagree; it puts people who choose not to use them at a competitive disadvantage.

This is like you wanting to join a company, but find out the only way you can keep up with the work is if you do lines of cocaine every day. The drugs artificially inflates the level of performance occurring.

I don't agree too much. There's been plenty of athletes that have lost (in combat sports) who have taken steroids. I have trained with some people on steroids in grappling class and I still submit them.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:47 PM

12,718 posts, read 12,120,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
I don't agree too much. There's been plenty of athletes that have lost (in combat sports) who have taken steroids. I have trained with some people on steroids in grappling class and I still submit them.
That is skill, different than strength and endurance. if steroids were not essential, athletes like Lance Armstrong would not have risked their career and reputation using them.

Grappling is based on skill, something no performance drug will over come. However, given two equally skilled contenders, the person jacked is going to have an advantage.

I have been doing BJJ for many years, I have seen it all in regards to this topic.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:31 PM

3,301 posts, read 4,429,140 times
I know a few guys in their late 30's who are doing it for vanity reasons. I laugh because I tell them they should have done it while they were younger. Perhaps they would have done better in sports.

I know one guy who is juicing hard right now. He's got young kids and now is "fixed". He has grown tremendously the past year. It's so obvious he's juicing to everyone except to his wife who just says he goes to the gym a lot. I think his kids miss him though. Guy really is constantly working out.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:08 PM

6,235 posts, read 5,407,080 times
Load up, after all you have NOTHING to lose do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness