Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 10:56 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times

Advertisements

Still new to jogging, I've basically stretched standing in order to touch my toes in order to get my hamstrings ready to go. That's about it.

I've also been trying to jog at least a minimum of 30 minutes.

Other than that, what are some other stretches that I should do before and after jogging?

Are there any workouts that I should also look into as well?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 04:23 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
A lot depends on how fast you want to run. Unless you are running under 7 minutes per mile or so, not much warm up is required. If you want to run under 7 minutes per mile, a 1-2 mile warmup jog is definitely a good idea. I like to break a sweat before I try to really open it up.

I also like to work out indoors before going out on a run on a cold day, so that I am warmed up beforehand, and don't have to wear so many clothes. Once you get going, you'll wish you weren't all bundled up.

Any core work will help your running; having a strong core will make you a more stable runner and reduce the chance of injury. The one core exercise that has helped me the most with running is back extensions, which strengthen the lower back. Hip strength also is very important to prevent wobbly running and injury.

LOWER BACK EXTENSION MACHINE by Trainer Approved - YouTube

As far as stretching, I think most coaches now advise dynamic stretching (basically just moving) rather than static stretching (stretch and hold).
Dynamic Stretching Better Before Training and Racing | Running Times

Old 10-04-2013, 05:50 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
Stretching cold muscles can lead to injury.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:04 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,636,381 times
I always say this: DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU. Everyone is going to have different ideas and everyone works differently. Some may say don't stretch, some say do, some say warm up, etc.

I do a little light stretching and some warm ups before jogging. I'll do some jumping jacks, squats, kicks, punches and maybe some burpee's followed by 2 minutes of light stretches then I'm ready to go. Afterward jogging and exercises, I do a dynamic stretch.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:36 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
I always say this: DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU. Everyone is going to have different ideas and everyone works differently. Some may say don't stretch, some say do, some say warm up, etc.

I do a little light stretching and some warm ups before jogging. I'll do some jumping jacks, squats, kicks, punches and maybe some burpee's followed by 2 minutes of light stretches then I'm ready to go. Afterward jogging and exercises, I do a dynamic stretch.
An inexperienced person is not going to know what works for them, that is why they ask what works for others.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:51 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
I'm in the camp of a 10 minute warm up run before you start your actual run. Then do dynamic stretching and/or a joint mobility routine afterwards. Highly recommend a massage stick, it's the best $25 investment I've made in my running career. Really keeps my calves and shins loose after a run.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:12 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Static stretching is old school. Like other posters suggested do a warm-up. Definitely stretch after!

Old 10-05-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Static stretching is old school. Like other posters suggested do a warm-up. Definitely stretch after!
Sorry for sounding like a noob but what is static stretching?

Old 10-05-2013, 04:41 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Sorry for sounding like a noob but what is static stretching?
Things like touching your toes for 20 seconds.

I'm older and injury prone, have had great luck doing the Maxwell Daily Dozen :
Steve Maxwell Strength & Conditioning

Mike Mahler's mobility video is great as well:
Joint Mobility For Restoration By Mike Mahler - YouTube

I've adjusted both to better suit my needs, but the template that they lay out is a good start on mobility work. Only takes 5-10 minutes a day and it helps with the wear and tear that running can sometimes do.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
I'm in the camp of a 10 minute warm up run before you start your actual run. Then do dynamic stretching and/or a joint mobility routine afterwards.
What type of warm-ups would you suggest a novice take on? And what is dynamic stretching?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness