Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 03:45 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

I never get bored when I walk, either. I mostly walk in pretty, nature areas, and/or listen to podcasts. Most of the time, I'm walking the dogs. They have short, stubby legs, and aren't good runners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 04:22 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
No matter the speed, once your heart rate is up , the length of time you spend in activity is what counts. At least a half hour is best!

Old 10-24-2013, 07:02 PM

790 posts, read 1,881,215 times
One issue to consider -- are you overweight? The added weight may make jogging less healthy/more harmful for you. Walk it off until you're lighter; then you can jog.

Old 04-29-2020, 07:17 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I probably should have asked the question in terms of the same distance:
Walking 3 miles vs Jogging 3 miles.
I do know that jogging hurts the joints, which is particularly important as one gets older.

I know from experience that walking daily results in a lowering of blood pressure and cholesterol, very soon into the walking habit. It is also proven that a walking program prolongs life.

Jogging improves a person's lung capacity and heart.

Jogging comes with risk of injury, which increases with speed.

Jogging uses more calories than walking.

Whichever a person loves to do and will do regularly, and stick with it, is the form of exercise that is best for that person. If a person finds walking boring, he won't do it as much as necessary or as regularly to get the most benefit. Same thing with jogging.

Old 04-29-2020, 08:51 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,460,224 times
Jogging gets it done faster. Give me done. Done and dusted!

Old 04-29-2020, 09:28 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I do know that jogging hurts the joints, which is particularly important as one gets older.

I know from experience that walking daily results in a lowering of blood pressure and cholesterol, very soon into the walking habit. It is also proven that a walking program prolongs life.

Whichever a person loves to do and will do regularly, and stick with it, is the form of exercise that is best for that person. If a person finds walking boring, he won't do it as much as necessary or as regularly to get the most benefit. Same thing with jogging.
First things first, jogging isn't a method of movement. Humans walk or run. Nothing else. If we were quadrupeds, there would be more options.

Second running does not hurt joints. Underlying joint injuries can be exacerbated by running. Joints can be hurt if you run badly. But the act of running does not cause injuries. In fact running can help prevent arthritis.

Old 04-29-2020, 09:48 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post

Last post before yours was from October 2013, almost 7 years ago. (I am always curious as to how these very very old threads get resurrected -- where do you even SEE them to resurrect them?)

But since it WAS resurrected: walking can be fun if you are doing it with someone (e.g. walking around my neighborhood with a friend would be fun), but for me, running (OK, jogging, I was slow! ) was about being incredibly healthy and fit and having a huge amount of fun. No, it wasn't fun when I started, but it GOT fun when I got better at it, and I would make running tapes (digital these days of course) and run to my favorite music and oh my gosh, it was a blast and I miss it terribly.

Had my left knee replaced on Monday 2/3/20, my right knee was supposed to be done on Monday 5/4/20 -- but since that's next week, clearly it's not going to happen. But I told my surgeon that my goal is to be able to run again, albeit very slowly and maybe 90% on my treadmill (not the streets, which is what ruined by knees -- then again, I overdid it horribly). Walking (especially alone) is incredibly boring compared to running -- at least for me.

Old 04-29-2020, 10:11 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,581,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
Jogging gets it done faster. Give me done. Done and dusted!

IMO people stick with activity & physical exercise they love & if they have lots of variety.........not because they want the fastest way to get it done.

Old 04-30-2020, 12:25 AM

49 posts, read 35,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
IMO people stick with activity & physical exercise they love & if they have lots of variety.........not because they want the fastest way to get it done.
I agree! If a person does not like jogging then there is a very low possibility of them sticking with it for a long period of time.

Old 04-30-2020, 01:34 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Before the quarantine, I used to use the Cybex daily at the gym. For the past 6 weeks I've been staying at DD's caring for my grandsons, as she and son in law have crucial jobs, and oldest grandsons's school is now closed for the rest of the term. I had to find a new method to work out (to prevent the "quarantine 15"), so I took up running again. It got a little hard on my knees (I'm 60), so I alternate with brisk walking, 4 to 5 miles a day. I just don't feel as if I'm achieving the same calorie burn as I did on the Cybex, although it's nice exercising outside watching the sun rise, seeing the cows and horses, etc. It got boring doing the same route, so I started going down different back roads.

Running/jogging/speedwalking is okay for now, but when this nightmare is over, I'll go back to the gym and Cybex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness