Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 11:14 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,709,749 times

Advertisements

I hate crowded gyms, It makes it difficult to do the workout you planned for the day. So I usually go at night when it's pretty empty and all the machines and stations I want to use are open.

Weights scattered all over the floor. The gym I go to will charge your account a fee if you leave your weight all over the place to this problem is getting better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 11:15 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Good example of what not to do at the gym. You should not be doing 50+ repetitions in 1 set. You need to hire a trainer or read up on how to work out. You need to add weight so that you can do no more than 12 reps in each set. What you are doing has very little benefit.
If it has very little benefit, then how did I end up losing 16.8 lb in 3 months without dieting. I never got sick during this period and neither did I forgo any meals. That means the only other possible way my weight decreased was due to exercise at the gym. There must be some positive effect if this workout routine decreases weight.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:16 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,814,491 times
Please don't wear skin-tight compression shirts as your only layer until you have "earned" the right to wear them. As a general rule, if your stomach extends past your chest, or if your waist to shoulder ratio leans in favor of the waist, it is not time to wear skin-tight compression shirts yet.

Consider it a rite of passage, a symbol that you have made it.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:36 AM

95 posts, read 204,280 times
I like it when people are weird at the gym, it makes it more fun. So I'm all for the too-tight spandex on people who probably shouldn't be wearing it, and the guys grunting and yelling while they pump iron (especially when it turns out they're actually benching a really tiny weight). It adds to the experience!
I remember this one guy I would see once in a while at one of my old gyms who would watch himself in the mirrors while playing air guitar and flexing his guns at the same time whenever a hard rocking classic rock song would come on over the speakers. This was back before earbuds and ipods were ubiquitous. Not sure how many gyms still blast music over speakers now a days.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:43 PM

2,151 posts, read 3,592,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Do not dance to your headphone music. That's just weird.....
Why not? What harm does it do? I do it all the time and find it energizing. You don't like it, don't watch me. If I were attempting to sing to it that would be different.

Don in Austin

Old 12-01-2013, 05:48 PM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
If it has very little benefit, then how did I end up losing 16.8 lb in 3 months without dieting. I never got sick during this period and neither did I forgo any meals. That means the only other possible way my weight decreased was due to exercise at the gym. There must be some positive effect if this workout routine decreases weight.
Congratulations on losing the weight! Perhaps by "benefit" villageidiot1 meant building muscle. If you use lighter weights and lots of reps, you won't build muscle, but you will get other benefits because any exercise burns calories, and burning calories, no matter how you do it, is going to help you lose weight.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:06 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Given you are struggling with lifting anything over forty lbs with your hands (I hope you are at least a girl, though still pretty weak for a girl), I would not say it did not have any benefit, but very inefficient.

I mean I could get a shovel and dig a trench, it would get done, but a backhoe would be much more efficient.

On Edit:

Oh yes, I remember now, you are the guy who wants muscle. From another thread:

"I am a 6' 0.5" guy who weighs 194 lb. I want to build some rock hard muscle,..."

Yes, very inefficient exercising you are doing if muscle is your goal. I would agree with the poster, very little benefit in what you were doing, and the results show.

Last edited by boxus; 12-01-2013 at 07:14 PM..

Old 12-01-2013, 07:07 PM

805 posts, read 1,558,794 times
Do not blow your nose onto the floor. Yes, I have seen this.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:20 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Good example of what not to do at the gym. You should not be doing 50+ repetitions in 1 set. You need to hire a trainer or read up on how to work out. You need to add weight so that you can do no more than 12 reps in each set. What you are doing has very little benefit.

I also agree with the others who have mentioned reracking the weights. It is not enough just to rerack them, but to also rerack them in the proper place. I hate when I need a 10 lb plate and they are under three 45 lb. plates that I have to remove first.
High reps are for specific purposes and can be very beneficial. Many coaches and trainers recommend them for different results. I do 50 reps/low weight on certain exercises because I'm older and I'm maintaining tone and muscle and not looking to add bulk. I was trained by one of the "Hundred Golden Olympians" who is a judge at all the Olympics and a coach to numerous teams. My concern after competing for 8 years was that I would get that weird post-competition body that some people get. He gave me a whole list of high rep/low weight exercises that have kept me in great shape.

DO
... look out for each other. Some people are too proud to ask for help and may either be lifting dangerously or may need assistance with benching. (Lol - it WAS funny when I was a competition lifter and I'd see some guy on a bench in trouble. I'd scoot over and get ready to lift the weight if he was about to drop it on his larynx... Nothing like having him open his eyes and see this little redhead leaning over him! I would only do it if I thought I could. Otherwise I'd alert the staff to assist or get one of the big guys.)

... clean off your machines

... Bring your own lock for the locker. I hate getting all ready in the locker room and opening a locker that has no lock but is chock full of stuff. Why take up locker space if you're not going to lock it?

... Shower before you jump in the jacuzzi or pool. Yikes! Nuff said.

... Be polite and courteous. You never know when you may need someone's assistance. That means watch the clock when you use a machine. Check if someone else is using it and work out a swap on different machines with them. Be a team player.

... Heavy lifters/Olympic lifters -- if you use chalk and straps, clean up the chalk from the floor and machines and don't leave your straps lying around for someone to trip on them.

Don't (most have been said)
... hog machines
... leave machines dirty
... break a machine and not report it
... leave sweat and spilled water all over the floor. People could slip and get hurt!
... leave other stuff all over the gym floor either. That's what lockers are for! And don't bring things to the gym that you are afraid of losing. Stuffing an iPad or laptop into the locker is just asking for it.
... give advice where it was not requested (unless they are REALLY doing something stupid. In that case, alert staff and let them give the advice.) I would be right in the middle of a routine in prep for a competition, following all my coach's instructions, and some guy would interrupt me and say, "Hey, you know, a girl shouldn't be lifting that much weight. It could hurt her girl parts." Yes. Really. There ARE some women in the gym who do know what they are doing!!!

Old 12-01-2013, 07:36 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Given you are struggling with lifting anything over forty lbs with your hands (I hope you are at least a girl, though still pretty weak for a girl), I would not say it did not have any benefit, but very inefficient.

I mean I could get a shovel and dig a trench, it would get done, but a backhoe would be much more efficient.

On Edit:

Oh yes, I remember now, you are the guy who wants muscle. From another thread:

"I am a 6' 0.5" guy who weighs 194 lb. I want to build some rock hard muscle,..."

Yes, very inefficient exercising you are doing if muscle is your goal. I would agree with the poster, very little benefit in what you were doing, and the results show.
Sorry for the mistake while posting . I meant 40 lb ON EACH HAND which adds to a total weight of 80 lb. Anything heavier is difficult for me to lift with my hands. My legs can handle up to 200 lb without any effort, and abs have been pushed up to 150 lb (Broke the 145 lb a week ago. Did 7 repetitions ).

The only weak spot is my hands which are unable to lift a total weight greater than 80 lb. I bench press with 65 lb right now as a beginner (45 + 20) and do 16 repetitions per set. The only exercises where I do 50+ repetitions in 1 set are bicep curls with very little weight and that's initially to warm up my arms when the gym is freezing at 63 F (yes, I am from India and that's cold) and I am wearing a cotton T shirt.

One final thing I am curious about, From an average person's point of view, you seem to be very athletic. Are you by any chance a part of any sports league or regular marathon runner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness