U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-14-2013, 10:32 PM

942 posts, read 920,732 times

Advertisements

Peak physical condition? These are cops, not Olympians.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 10:43 PM

131 posts, read 49,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
No. Not enough difference in strength (then again, it depends on how you define "subdue"). I definitely don't think that an average 180 lb man would be able to subdue a 130 lb woman. A 250 lb, man and a 100 lb woman, maybe. But those aren't average anymore.
Of course if the man was a cop or otherwise trained to subdue, then he could do it easily.
Most important weapon a female cop has is her voice.
I got arrested by a 5' 3" female cop for fighting with another 6' 3" 260LB prop forward in Sydney, we just heard this rather soft voice telling us we were under arrest.
Fact was a male copper wanted to come over and set about us with his baton, as his Sergeant told him he would have looked strange with a baton stuck where the sun would never see it.

But damn, woman can get cross when her first arrest was thrown out, wrong charge, as my Barrister told the magistrate we were not fighting in a public place, but at the rugby club on private land.

And bang went my chances of dating a very cute cop

Old 12-14-2013, 10:52 PM

131 posts, read 49,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
Well, we generally did in on Fridays during company PT (physical training). Mondays and Weds were platoon PT. For Company PT - we could have 80 to 200 people show up depending on who was around (not deployed). It was an easy sport to do with so many people - we just showed up at the football field. Generally there would be a dozen balls in play at the same time. Since you weren't assigned a zone or postion (other than goalies) you could end up running the entire field a lot.
I'm ex-infantry and curious, if the US Marines women are good enough to take on humping up to 120 LB, why a separate female US Marine rugby team ?
Should all female Marines not be thrown in with the males in all aspects of training and Marine sport ?

Old 12-14-2013, 11:56 PM

302 posts, read 136,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
We need to establish a baseline for the definition of "average man" to really debate this point. In my opinion, an average man is not overly athletic, tends to lack the "killer instinct" or physically Alpha traits, and is not comfortable in a physical match as it is such a rare occurrence in their life. It seems in this thread people are projecting the average man to be an aggressive criminal, moderately skilled fighter, or dominant by design. The reality is most men are not.
The average man changes according to where you live. a typical man from a Seattle suburb is different from a man from inner city Detroit in lifestyle to the point temprament and physical attributes would vary allot.

I lived in Houston TX at one time and I will tell you that the average male in certain parts of Houston is aggressive and moderately skilled in fighting.

Old 12-15-2013, 12:52 AM

6,978 posts, read 4,153,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
No. Not enough difference in strength (then again, it depends on how you define "subdue"). I definitely don't think that an average 180 lb man would be able to subdue a 130 lb woman. A 250 lb, man and a 100 lb woman, maybe. But those aren't average anymore.
Of course if the man was a cop or otherwise trained to subdue, then he could do it easily.
You can't be serious with that statement. You do understand I'm talking about reality right? The average man does not have to be around 250 lbs to subdue a woman that's weighs around 100 lbs.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:19 AM

3,656 posts, read 1,819,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post

At the end of the day it is a moot point anyway because the average guy would never lay hands on a woman.
I'm not sure that's accurate. I've known a lot of average women with black eyes, broken arms, etc. from encounters with average women.

Yesterday, I met a women in a Krav Maga studio that was holding her own with men. Turns out there's a mental as well as physical element to fighting. Who knew?

Old 12-15-2013, 04:29 AM

3,656 posts, read 1,819,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
You can't be serious with that statement. You do understand I'm talking about reality right? The average man does not have to be around 250 lbs to subdue a woman that's weighs around 100 lbs.
And vice versa. I've seen a 300 pound woman subdue a smaller man. She just flopped on him and that was that.

One of the advantages that men have is that they grown up wrestling and fighting. Few girls do. In my experience, it is not unusual for a grown man to get a few beers under his belt and get into a fight with a fellow he has a beef with. I once had two guys riding with me in the front of my truck get into a fist fight. It was all I could do to control the pickup long enough to get it off the side of the road.

By the way, the next time I saw them, they were all buddy buddy and disgruntled with me for leaving them by the side of the road. Go figure.

On another note, this fighting in the playground has been controlled to the point that some police departments are having a hard time finding suitable recruits. Several years ago, a Chief of Police was explaining the high drop out rate of their newest class of trainees. He said that many dropped out the first time they had to scramble around subduing a drunk or mentally ill person. Said they had such limited experience with the rough and tumble business, that it spooked them to the point they decided that police work was not for them.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:35 AM

5,392 posts, read 4,598,667 times
I find it amusing how the "RAH RAH YEAH" in here is balanced out with realism.

Training could trump physical strength, but you can't always count on training. A female police officer/Marine/FBI agent/whatever will have a bit more knowledge than most, but their training isn't exactly focused on unarmed combat. All it would take is for you to get off balance or to land a bad hit (giving someone an opening) for someone with brute strength and a win at all costs mentality to gain the upper hand. I once sparred with someone who was a a better fighter than I was by far. I simply waited until he dropped his guard (I let him land quite a few solid hits on me) before I nailed him in the solar plexus with a left roundhouse (not even my strong leg). I made the next guy tap out from a hold and I didn't even know what I was doing, aside from just waiting for the correct opportunity.

I know women who could probably whoop some butt... but even being in shape they would at the very least have a difficult time taking an average man in an all out brawl.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:39 AM

5,392 posts, read 4,598,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomed_Shroom12 View Post
LOL laughing at some dudes on here that Never spent a day in the military, but they know how it goes. Macho, Macho men. Most dudes here that just 'know' female troops are weak would cry for their mommies in a CS chamber or during a nipply desert night in Iraq (yes lord it is cold as ish in the desert from Jan-Apr) with nothing protecting your candy behind from the elements but a gp medium and a sleeping bag and whatever the hell you are wearing.
You're the only one being macho. It's to the point of being ridiculous.

Everyone cries in a CS chamber.

Nobody likes being out in the cold.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:44 AM

2,529 posts, read 3,006,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomed_Shroom12 View Post
Good you're built for hunting and killing. Get your rear to the wilderness and do it. Why sit in the comfort of a warm home eating supermarket chicken? Go hunt your own food, Jake Skully. Do you know how to? Can you dress it, clean it properly? Show us some vids of you in action, bro.

Too many vids have been posted showing women in uniform taking on average men. Watch COPS sometime, and see regular women off the street giving the po-po's a run for their money.

No one has debated that MOST men are stronger than MOST women. Fact. The thing is, women in uniform and women with specialized training are not average women.

One last thing BRO...can you hit a moving target with a rifle at 250 yds? I can. Can you run 4 miles in 24 minutes? I can. And I have those chest things that "slow me down"

First of all your making an a** out of yourself by assuming.

Where you actually in the Marines I was. Where you a machine gunner I was. Did you fire an m16 I did. DId you run 3 miles in 18 minutes I did. Can you bench 310 lbs I can.

The physical requirement for a female marine are much lower then a male for a reason.

Second of all there's a difference between taking down a some puny 130 lbs drunk uttering fool or pothead who's acting beliegerant THEN AN AVERAGE MAN. KEY WORD AVERAGE. Maybe you should look up and actually know what it means

Can You Lift as Much as the Average Man? - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Most average female marines are like pitbulls and there tough as nails. Sure they can pick off weaker men without a weapon but they would lose to MOST average man.

Turn off tombraider, stop watching xena not everyone women is Ultraviolet. Stop with the fantasy crap.

Sex differences in human physiology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Strength, power and muscle mass[edit]
Typically, males are physically stronger than females. The difference is due to females having less total muscle mass than males, and also having lower muscle mass in comparison to total body mass. While individual muscle fibers have similar strength, males have more fibers due to their greater total muscle mass. The greater muscle mass of males is in turn due to a greater capacity for muscular hypertrophy as a result of men's higher levels of testosterone. Males remain stronger than females, when adjusting for differences in total body mass. This is due to the higher male muscle-mass to body-mass ratio.[11] Females tend to convert more food into fat, while men convert more into muscle and expendable circulating energy reserves.
Gross measures of body strength suggest a 40-50% difference in upper body strength between the sexes, and a 20-30% difference in lower body strength.[12][13] One study of muscle strength in the elbows and knees—in 45 and older males and females—found the strength of females to range from 42 to 63% of male strength.[14] Another study found men to have significantly higher hand-grip strength than women, even when comparing untrained men with female athletes

Males have denser, stronger bones, tendons, and ligaments.[citation needed]
In men, the second digit (index finger) tends to be shorter than the fourth digit (ring finger), while in women the second digit tends to be longer than the fourth (see digit ratio).[16]
Men have a more pronounced 'Adam's Apple' or thyroid cartilage (and deeper voices) due to larger vocal cords.[17]
When measuring male and female canine teeth, studies yield different results as to which sex has larger teeth.[18][19] However, the differences in sizes are small.[18]
Male skulls and head bones have a different shape than female skulls. The male mandible is generally wider, larger, and squarer than females. They also have more prominent eyebrows, rectangular orbital with rounded border, longer and larger nasal bone and more projecting cheekbone.[citation needed]
Male and female pelvises are shaped differently. The female pelvis features a wider pelvic cavity, which is necessary when giving birth. The female pelvis has evolved to its maximum width for childbirth — an even wider pelvis would make women unable to walk.[20][21] In contrast, human male pelves did not evolve to give birth and are therefore slightly more optimized for walking.[22] The female pelvis is larger and broader than the male pelvis which is taller, narrower, and more compact. The female inlet is larger and oval in shape, while the male inlet is more heart-shaped.[23]
Contrary to popular belief, however, males and females do not differ in the number of ribs; both usually have twelve pairs.[24] About 1 in 200-500 people have an additional cervical rib, and there is a female predominance

Males typically have larger tracheae and branching bronchi, with about 56% greater lung volume per body mass. They also have larger hearts, 10% higher red blood cell count, higher haemoglobin, hence greater oxygen-carrying capacity. In athletes, the difference in oxygen-carrying capacity between men and women is much less prominent. They also have higher circulating clotting factors (vitamin K, prothrombin and platelets). These differences lead to faster healing of wounds and higher peripheral pain tolerance.

Male skin is thicker (more collagen) and oilier (more sebum) than female skin,[27] but females have a thicker layer of fat under the skin and female skin constricts blood vessels near the surface (vasoconstriction) in reaction to cold to a greater extent than men's skin, both of which help women to stay warm and survive lower temperatures than men.[28] As a result of greater vasoconstriction, while the surface of female skin is colder than male skin, the deep-skin temperature in women is higher than in men.[29]
Males also generally have darker skin than females. The lighter skin in females helps their bodies synthesize more Vitamin D from sunlight and absorb more calcium, which is needed during pregnancy and lactation.[30]
Females tend to have more pain receptors per cm of skin than males

The OP didn't include weapons. My impression from this thread is that he's comparing actual hand to hand combat. He didn't include tasers, guns, etc. etc. If thats the case anyone can take on anyone with a weapon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness