Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2013, 09:43 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
The stereotypes in this thread are so stupid. Men are built like tanks? ROFLOL. Let's face it, some men are strong and some are not. Some women are strong and some are not. This is like discussing whether a cockroach can overpower a grasshopper. Humans are all weaklings.
We were talking about averages, do you know what the word "average" means?

Quote:
Would the average woman be able to subdue the average man? Probably not. The reverse is not true either, you need a much larger difference in strength OR training to be able to subdue someone.
Well, i guess you do know what "average" means, so what was the purpose of your first paragraph?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 09:56 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Would the average woman be able to subdue the average man? Probably not. The reverse is not true either, you need a much larger difference in strength OR training to be able to subdue someone.
Humm....I'm pretty confident the average man could subdue the average woman 9 times out of 10. Especially if it's one on one. There is a reason why pretty much every society looks down on men physically fighting women.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:56 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomed_Shroom12 View Post
Too many vids have been posted showing women in uniform taking on average men. Watch COPS sometime, and see regular women off the street giving the po-po's a run for their money.
They suspects are being compliant, or adding a little non-compliance, in which the LEO applies compliant techniques. i assure you, the suspects are not full out fighting the cop. If the suspect did, the cop would go up the ladder of force.

Even at that, it still often takes two, three, or more cops to subdue a very non-compliant person. This is due to the lack of training. Look at Rodney King, how many cops did it take? One person could have handled him with the right training.

But cops are not taught to confront someone for a street fight, they are taught to make the person comply, that also includes using the ladder of force, up to and including deadly force.

Quote:
No one has debated that MOST men are stronger than MOST women. Fact. The thing is, women in uniform and women with specialized training are not average women.
No, women AND men are not given enough training to over come strength and size differences. They usually end up taking more training on their off time, this is why if you go to a jiu jitsu or muay thai school, you see more than a few cops training there. Some of it is for interests, some is because they know how darn useful it is for their job. There is a female blue belt cop that will clean the floor with a lot of guys and she weighs about 120lbs. This is why I stated skill will over come strength and size disadvantage for both females and males.

And as I stated a few times before, this has nothing to do with being a woman, this has all to do with size and strength. Fact is, the average woman is weaker and smaller than the average guy. Even at olympic levels, the strength difference is a lot. The generic training a cop, Marine, etc gets is not enough to over come this. Not only is training an issue, the lack of practice is an issue. You cannot just give once, twice, three times a year training and now state you are proficient at it.

Quote:
One last thing BRO...can you hit a moving target with a rifle at 250 yds? I can. Can you run 4 miles in 24 minutes? I can. And I have those chest things that "slow me down"
None of this has anything to do with the subject.

Old 12-14-2013, 03:20 PM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,664 times
No. It is a matter of physiology. Men have physiological makeups that give them an automatic advantage in a physical contest against a woman. The average man is bigger, stronger, has more upper body strength, more muscle mass, and more testosterone than women.

Even if a woman is taller and heavier than a man, she is still at a disadvantage because she has half the upper body strength and muscle mass of the average man. Her heavier weight is most likely due to fat than muscle.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:51 PM

313 posts, read 329,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
My daughter is a 5'1 110lb Marine. Intensive training to be a fearless winner at all costs can overcome strength disadvantages. I believe she would stand a good shot against any average Joe not similarly trained.
Sorry but your body at some point will surrender before your mind does.

skill > size

but the larger the opponent the more skill one should have.

A 5'1 110lb marine male or female better be in extreme top shape if they are going to win a fight with an average man.

Marines are brutal but not all marines are made equal.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:15 PM

313 posts, read 329,436 times
Quote:
LOL laughing at some dudes on here that Never spent a day in the military, but they know how it goes. Macho, Macho men. Most dudes here that just 'know' female troops are weak would cry for their mommies in a CS chamber or during a nipply desert night in Iraq (yes lord it is cold as ish in the desert from Jan-Apr) with nothing protecting your candy behind from the elements but a gp medium and a sleeping bag and whatever the hell you are wearing.
You are bringing up guns and scenarios that have nothing to do with the topic at hand.

A child soldier in Africa could kill anyone with a gun or out tough someone in extreme weather.

The topic is about weather or not a trained woman can physically handle the average man. You are the one that seems to have the insecurity issue that you are pelting the men on here with.

Being in the military gives a person an advantage in a fight but unless they are special forces they are not going to win all the time male or female.

Military people are most at the advantage with weapons.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:26 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvocatusCenturion View Post

The topic is about weather or not a trained woman can physically handle the average man. ...

Being in the military gives a person an advantage in a fight but unless they are special forces they are not going to win all the time male or female.

Female law enforcement officer can subdue the average man. They do it all the time.

I don't know about female military personnel. I think they just shoot the guys who resist being subdued.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:28 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,924,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Humm....I'm pretty confident the average man could subdue the average woman 9 times out of 10. Especially if it's one on one. There is a reason why pretty much every society looks down on men physically fighting women.
No. Not enough difference in strength (then again, it depends on how you define "subdue"). I definitely don't think that an average 180 lb man would be able to subdue a 130 lb woman. A 250 lb, man and a 100 lb woman, maybe. But those aren't average anymore.
Of course if the man was a cop or otherwise trained to subdue, then he could do it easily.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:26 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,169,415 times
You're pretty much asking, can the average woman win in a fight with the average male. Most people in law enforcement aren't in any kind of special shape. They aren't athletes, far from it. Hell, half of them can't even shoot straight. They can run a mile do a couple push ups. This goes for men and women.

So if you were to take the average man, and the average woman, and put them in a ring together, do I think the woman would win? Not really.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:27 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,836,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvocatusCenturion View Post
Sorry but your body at some point will surrender before your mind does.

skill > size

but the larger the opponent the more skill one should have.

A 5'1 110lb marine male or female better be in extreme top shape if they are going to win a fight with an average man.

Marines are brutal but not all marines are made equal.
We need to establish a baseline for the definition of "average man" to really debate this point. In my opinion, an average man is not overly athletic, tends to lack the "killer instinct" or physically Alpha traits, and is not comfortable in a physical match as it is such a rare occurrence in their life. It seems in this thread people are projecting the average man to be an aggressive criminal, moderately skilled fighter, or dominant by design. The reality is most men are not.

On another note, are we discussing a prearranged matched fight with rules or did the woman bump into a guy having a bad day and he gets physical without premeditation? I am certainly not saying most female military or police will win, just that they have a good shot against my opinion of the average man. This is based on the fact that most of those women are in peak physical condition, and they are used to confrontation while being trained not to hesitate. That is where the mental side comes in for me. A guy bucking up at a woman is probably not expecting them to retaliate physically, so there is a surprise factor when they find out they just pissed off a Marine and get punched in the throat.

At the end of the day it is a moot point anyway because the average guy would never lay hands on a woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness