U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 11:58 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,137,408 times

Advertisements

I have been wearing my Fitbit One for a little over a year.

For me, the best advantage to the Fitbit over a regular pedometer is that I can look on the website and see how many steps I took yesterday, or the day before, and so on. It stores your steps and flights of stairs climbed. Also I think its step count may be very slightly more accurate than most pedometers.

It was a LOT of fun as a toy, and worth the money, I think, but a Fitbit is not at all necessary for me. One time I lost it for a couple of days, and when that happened I was not going to buy a new one. I was going to replace it with a (much cheaper) Omron pedometer instead. However, I found it and have not lost it since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 12:53 PM

686 posts, read 980,712 times
I personally prefer using some of the many many many applications that can be downloaded on a smart phone. Since I always have my phone with me anyway, it just makes sense to use some of the great programs that are available. Plus, many of them work great with the music on your phone anyway so its great.

My two favorite apps:

Nike+ Running app
Workout Hero

Old 01-16-2014, 03:50 PM

83 posts, read 90,688 times
I've got the FitBit Zip. (Since I'm not allowed to have my phone on me at work, I can't use a phone app.) It does a very good job of tracking steps. I don't expect it to be precise in calorie tracking. I like that I can see how active I was last month or last year as well as sharing what's happening with friends on the fitbit community.

I've been on the fence about investing in the Fitbit Aria WiFi scale. Not sure I'm ready to take that step, so to speak.

I like my fitbit.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:55 PM

43,534 posts, read 52,616,956 times
I wish there was a reliable heart rate monitor you could wear all day.
That, to me, would be the only way to get a reliable idea of how many calories you are burning.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:50 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,868,193 times
NOLA2SGF wrote: For me, the best advantage to the Fitbit over a regular pedometer is that I can look on the website and see how many steps I took yesterday, or the day before, and so on.

I use an 18 dollar pedometer called a Digi Walker. At the end of the day I manually enter ( gasp! ) the step count in a spreadsheet. I wrote a simple macro to keep a running total and the daily average of my step count. I've been averaging over 22,000 steps a day since early November of last year, with more than 5 million steps total.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:37 PM

43,534 posts, read 52,616,956 times
Explain to me why anyone gives a crap how many steps they took.

Also, if you did care, couldn't you just do it for a month and then have a general idea of how many steps usually take?

Old 06-27-2014, 09:33 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,868,193 times
@Stan

Caring about how many steps one takes is loosely akin to caring about how many reputation points one accumulates on city-data. I mention this because I imagine that you'd be a bit distressed if c-d set everyone's reputation back to zero at noon today. Taking that into consideration might help you to better understand why someone would give a crap about how many steps they take. Most of us have at least one relatively meaningless activity that we engage in for the sheer enjoyment of it, no matter how idiosynchratic it might appear to someone else.

Additionally it's a simple way to guage activity level. And yes of course, if you count for one month you would have a rough estimate of your monthly totals, but only a rough estimate. My monthly totals vary quite a bit. On the satisfaction level, crossing another million step threshhold is like crossing another thousand point reputation threshhold on c-d.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 06-27-2014 at 10:09 AM..

Old 06-27-2014, 09:39 AM

2,319 posts, read 2,487,642 times
Your DIET is what is going to help you drop a few pounds.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:08 PM

15,023 posts, read 21,719,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Explain to me why anyone gives a crap how many steps they took.

Also, if you did care, couldn't you just do it for a month and then have a general idea of how many steps usually take?
My days vary so much, my FitBit encourages me to keep moving. Days when I don't pay attention I don't walk more than a mile. There are days I will go for a run, swim and bike, but still don't meet my step goal. It motivates me to keep it up.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:07 PM

17,245 posts, read 10,169,578 times
I was going to purchase one, but reading the reviews, I realized these bands seem to be just a glorified pedometer with a few extra features put in (online capability, sleep monitoring, things like that). I'd have thought it would have the ability to monitor heart rate and measure mileage accurately like your smart phone could.

I think I'll wait to see what future technology will deliver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or