U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 10:13 AM

3,275 posts, read 4,769,866 times

Advertisements

I have a fitbit and I like it. I have the small one and I just wear it inside my shirt. I like the sleep tracking features. I also like that you can link with people you know; the mini compentition aspect motivates me.

In general, it helps me get a feel for how active I've been. I swear, there are days I feel like I've done so much, yet in reality I haven't moved very far at all, so I'm obviously not a good gauge. My account is linked with my mom's and I think it helps both of us move around more when we see what the other is up to.

I could manually put my steps into a spreadsheet, but that would require me to remember to do it, and honestly, I would forget more than I'd remember. I like being able to look back at my past activity levels and see that I'm improving (or if I'm getting lazy). For me, the $99 was worth it; I use it every day and move more since I've gotten it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 08:35 PM

468 posts, read 517,917 times
I like my Fitbit (One) because I, too, have nay patience (or time) to track these things manually. It's like a mental prod. Also, not that I would suggest anyone to make it their primary reason for purchasing a Fitbit, but its tracking functions might alert you to issues with your sleep you don't know about and especially if you're single. I remembered thinking that my friend wouldn't have gone so long without knowing she had sleep apnea, if she had a Fitbit-type gadget, as she discovered after clinical monitoring that she was basically lurching awake all night long. Conversely, I suspected I sleep like a rock because I so rarely remember dreams, and was not surprised to have that more or less confirmed by the "sleep action" mode.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:18 PM

8,341 posts, read 9,803,250 times
Wife has the fitbit flex. It is grossly inaccurate at tracking steps. She can go in and modify activity on the app, but it's tedious and she got tied of it. She doesn't even use it anymore due to how inflated her numbers (steps, and thus calories) were.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:46 AM

3,508 posts, read 3,204,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Explain to me why anyone gives a crap how many steps they took?
LOL. I have always thought the same thing. Steps? Really? Why track STEPS?!?

I am kind of a tech geek, love all types of techy stuff almost as much as I love running and working out. But, since most of my running is done outdoors I always have my phone with me. I just its a dumb idea to be out running in a park, trail, beach, etc. without a phone so its always with me. With that being said, there are soooooo many apps to download for the iPhone it kinda makes other devices like what the OP listed obsolete/useless to me.

My iPhone is light, even though its in a strong Otterbox, I can put it in my pocket, or wear it on my arm. Have several programs loaded that would do whatever the fitbit, fuelband, etc. does (and MORE) and yet they cost me between ZERO dollars and $5.99. I can track my distance, time, speed, calories, diet, weight, weight lifted, personal records, exercises, GPS my route, etc. all while listening to my music playlist.

I see no benefit in paying $99.00 for a product when I can download free programs on my phone that do the exact same thing.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:28 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,879,590 times
Kings Gambit wrote: I see no benefit in paying $99.00 for a product when I can download free programs on my phone that do the exact same thing.

My pedometer cost just $18.00. Likely you spent quite a bit more than that on your phone, plus you pay for the monthly service, month after month after month. Additionally, you probably spend an hour a day playing with your smart phone toy, whereas I spend less than a minute a day manually recording my steps in an old fashioned spreadsheet.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:53 AM

3,508 posts, read 3,204,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
My pedometer cost just $18.00. Likely you spent quite a bit more than that on your phone, plus you pay for the monthly service, month after month after month. Additionally, you probably spend an hour a day playing with your smart phone toy, whereas I spend less than a minute a day manually recording my steps in an old fashioned spreadsheet.
The thin is EVERYONE has a smart phone. EVERYONE is already spending money for the service. My 99 year old grandmother has a smart phone, my 6 year old has one as well, and everyone I know between their ages have one.

These apps do EVERYTHING I need them to do:

Workout Hero - $2.99
Seconds Pro - $4.99
My Fitness Pal - Free
Nike+ Running - Free

The Fitbit that the OP listed has an app as well, its only FREE.

The only way I can see purchasing anything other than apps for the phone is if you either don't have a phone, or if you are a competitive athlete where something like a Garmin Forerunner is what you want instead of carring a phone with you.

Other than that, apps apps apps apps. If you can think of it, odds are theres an app for that.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:00 AM

414 posts, read 580,880 times
I have a up 24. My husband got us both one for Christmas. I like it but if I lost it, it probably wouldn't be replaced. I also have a iPhone but it's a bit heavy in the otterbox case I have so I don't take it with me on runs. I had a garmin that I used for running but haven't replaced it yet, which will happen if I get back into run ink like before.
If it motivates people to exercise and maybe eat better than I am all for it.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:23 PM

2,744 posts, read 1,318,751 times
Tried the Fitbit for the wife. We activated it one evening, put in on the countertop, next morning it had 500+ steps. I carried up and down the stairs to try to change settings on the PC - this added 117 more. There is ony one adjustment you can make to the step count, this is obviously not enough. You cannot reset the step count for the day nor is there any way to reset the entire device. Returned it to the store, tried a different one that clips on - it was the same, we returned that one too. Its overpriced garbage, a 99 dollar very inaccurate pedometer.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:21 PM

877 posts, read 1,076,666 times
I bought the Fitbit Zip

It's okay, but honestly, I question how accurate it is and would NOT recommend that you rely on it solely for exercise if that's your goal.

I think it's a great way to make sure that you aren't as sedentary and don't sit for hours upon hours, but I think you'll set yourself up for failure if you rely on the fitbit for weight loss without a calorie deficit and 30-60 minutes of exercise.

I also have a Polar Heart Rate monitor that I purchased for...$60-$70ish. It's the Polar FT4 and while it's basic, I do love it. It's beneficial for me personally because I know where I stand and can keep myself going or know when to push harder.

I am looking into a Garmin GPS watch since I run long distance.

I've heard bad things about the activity bands like the Fitbit flex or the Nike one. Insanely inaccurate and apparently suck overall according to coworkers

Old 10-19-2014, 04:28 PM

17,298 posts, read 10,206,664 times
Microsoft to launch its wearable fitness band in coming weeks | The Verge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or