U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 09:04 AM

239 posts, read 986,726 times

Advertisements

I was debating about getting one of these bands but wasn't sure if it was just a gadget or something that could be useful. I am hopeful in trying to get in better shape and drop a few pounds. Anyone have any thoughts on these?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 10:03 AM

515 posts, read 812,885 times
If it makes you work out more then it's worthwhile. But it's nothing other than a cool toy

Old 01-07-2014, 10:58 AM

5,361 posts, read 6,445,697 times
They really are just tools to track your activities and set goals for activity. You can input diet as well and it will keep track of calories you are burning. But if you are a busy person you may find putting the info in time consuming.
They are expensive and in no way necessary to lose weight. They are, like the above poster said, cool toys.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:19 AM

546 posts, read 631,785 times
I received a Fitbit as a gift about one and a half years ago and I still wear it daily. It's a fun motivator (except on days when I am a slug, then it's a tiny little guilt gadget). It seems to be having intermittent problems lately, possibly from old age, and if I replace it with something, I may just get a reliable pedometer. But it is sort of nice to have "floors" tracked, as well as steps (that is, the amount of vertical ascents you have done that day, either on stairs or hills).

(The Fitbit can also track sleep, which I did for a while, until I had enough information and didn't care about that anymore.)

Old 01-07-2014, 04:39 PM

218 posts, read 634,095 times
I have the fitbit. I bought it because I needed motivation. It's okay but not MY solution.

After several months it started having problems - I'm going to send it back since it's under warranty and I paid a lot of money for it.

Really, whatever will work for you. Check out their forum - you will find a ton of tips.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:55 PM

27,171 posts, read 29,674,744 times
Don't get the Jawbone. I loved the sleep tracking/alarm clock/app. It was nice to see my steps. My 4th or 5th replacement broke, and I have only had it 5 months. I don't have time to keep doing warranty repairs, so I am taking it as a loss. I am more than frustrated about it. It is completely flaky and I don't have time to keep dealing with sending it back every couple of weeks.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:31 PM

5,083 posts, read 7,732,001 times
I have numerous trackers, cheap to expensive. They are kind of nice to help you develop a habit. I don't use any one of those things anymore...they all have been resold. Eventually, you make the decision on whether you will exercise or not.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:09 AM

209 posts, read 379,829 times
There will be a heart rate monitor pretty soon that will have the activity monitor built in. You'll probably have to wear a strap all the time for it to work but the combination of HRM and monitor would be the most accurate.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:24 PM

28 posts, read 24,868 times
Bought a Fitbit Flex for my mom. It's got glitches, but is useful in tracking calories burned and steps.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:08 AM

25,988 posts, read 33,003,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboCrab View Post
Bought a Fitbit Flex for my mom. It's got glitches, but is useful in tracking calories burned and steps.
Tracking calories is NOT accurate on the FitBit. It only measures steps taken for activity, and stairs climbed. Any intense cardio other than running does not get measured correctly in either steps or calories.
An HRM would be best for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or