U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 09:00 AM

13,557 posts, read 14,398,614 times

Advertisements

OK, maybe it's not a crisis, but I'm a life-long exerciser who is having a terrible time doing anything these days.

I'm 52 and for most of my adult life I've gotten moderate to strenuous exercise 3-5 days a week, depending on life circumstances. I usually eat pretty well, I weigh about 10 pounds more than I did in high school and my health stats are always really good.

In the last few months though, I've had a hard time doing anything. I stay up too late and then sleep in rather than get up to work out. I've been eating crap and not caring. I don't think I'm depressed. Mostly I just feel lazy.

If you've ever been in this spot, what did you do to get out of it? I know it's up to me and I'm not asking you to tell me "Go get 'em, Marlow." But has this happened to anyone else? Did you pursue a particular tactic to get back on track?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 09:38 AM

3,990 posts, read 5,097,653 times
Every now and again I get into a slump, but I usually do not stay there for too long because I like the way I feel when I am eating well and exercising. It's exhausting to feel like crap and beat up on myself at the same time. Sometimes I will make a new goal for myself. Have you thought of signing up for a race or contest of some sort?

Old 02-05-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Every now and again I get into a slump, but I usually do not stay there for too long because I like the way I feel when I am eating well and exercising. It's exhausting to feel like crap and beat up on myself at the same time. Sometimes I will make a new goal for myself. Have you thought of signing up for a race or contest of some sort?
I've thought about working out with a trainer with the goal of getting stronger in general and working toward some particular chinup and pushup goals. But I keep putting it off.

I agree that it's exhausting to feel like crap and I hate the beating up on myself. I just keep waiting for the Rocky theme to start playing in my head so that I can get back at it.

I understand 100% that it's up to me to do it and that there's no magic workout fairy who can wave a wand and inspire me. But I wish there were!

Old 02-05-2014, 10:41 AM

2,493 posts, read 1,913,459 times
Variety is the spice of life. Try something new.
If you are a runner, take up swimming.
If your a weight lifter, take up yoga.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:47 PM

209 posts, read 326,798 times
I'm lucky and I'm old. Fitness is one of my best tools to push back the reaper. That makes it simple doesn't it? Other than that I have a pursuit that I am interested that requires a high level of fitness to take part in. That's two big motivators. Try them.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:35 PM

18,856 posts, read 28,335,854 times
I wonder if this is a hormone issue, peri menopause. I am in that rut. Right now, it is -20, I don't leave the house unless for work.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:11 PM

1,265 posts, read 659,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
life-long exerciser
I'm 52 and for most of my adult life I've gotten moderate to strenuous exercise 3-5 days a week...
Mostly I just feel lazy.
Maybe your body needs a break. If you feel you must do something, how about walking, gentle yoga, or anything that would be considered beginner. I'm 39, and have been exercising consistently for nearly 12 years, same as you, moderate to strenuous 3-6 days a week, depending on my focus, and when I get lazy, I do easy workouts. I know some people here think "go hard or go home " and to them i say "go to hell" haha There's room for all types of workouts and sometimes the body needs to rest.

My easy workouts usually last just a week, once or twice a year. I use them just to make sure i don't get too comfortable doing nothing at all.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solovino1 View Post
I'm lucky and I'm old. Fitness is one of my best tools to push back the reaper. That makes it simple doesn't it? Other than that I have a pursuit that I am interested that requires a high level of fitness to take part in. That's two big motivators. Try them.
I hear you on pushing back the reaper. I used to be motivated to work out by wanting to stay thin. Now I think about how incapacitated my mother was before she died and that is a pretty good motivator.

Just curious--what is the pursuit that you're interested in?

Old 02-06-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I wonder if this is a hormone issue, peri menopause. I am in that rut. Right now, it is -20, I don't leave the house unless for work.
It could be hormones--I'm officially menopausal and it's certainly changed lots of other things.

If it were -20, I wouldn't leave the house either. I don't think that's a motivational issue--just self-preservation!

Old 02-06-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinaCarlotta View Post
Maybe your body needs a break. If you feel you must do something, how about walking, gentle yoga, or anything that would be considered beginner. I'm 39, and have been exercising consistently for nearly 12 years, same as you, moderate to strenuous 3-6 days a week, depending on my focus, and when I get lazy, I do easy workouts. I know some people here think "go hard or go home " and to them i say "go to hell" haha There's room for all types of workouts and sometimes the body needs to rest.

My easy workouts usually last just a week, once or twice a year. I use them just to make sure i don't get too comfortable doing nothing at all.
Today I didn't feel like going to the gym so I did an old DVD at home. It was the first time I've done anything in a week. It was very challenging, but I was able to pause it, so in effect it was easier than my normal workout. I think I will just take a walk if I don't feel like doing anything else.

I also suspect this is all seasonal. We've had lots of cold (for us) cloudy days that make me want to hibernate. Hope that changes in the next month or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness