Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 06:30 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,029 times

Advertisements

I think a trainer is great because they can teach you PROPER techniques so you don't injure yourself. Can't tell you how many times I watch people at the gym doing things so crazy that I'm like "that has to hurt" lol.

I'd at least get a trainer for a few weeks to help you know what to do, then continue on your own
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 07:15 PM

313 posts, read 496,989 times
I started a weight loss regime Jan 1st, go to myfitnesspal.com there is great resources, you can track the foods you eat (losing weight really is 90% diet) and you track your exercise as well. Most people on this website advocate lifting with some cardio. Many people will say get a trainer to teach you how to lift.

The message boards there are great too, lots of inspirational stories and photos from real people who will help you along even if you just have to lose 20lbs. I've lost 7 so far, and I'm not dieting, just eating less and moving more.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:40 PM

821 posts, read 1,100,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I don't have much weight to lose,
maybe 20 lb. max.
But my major issue is my hips.....
I'd love to lose the love handles, lol
I want to see serious results-
it's my only problem area.
So....is a personal trainer going to be worth the money?
Any input is appreciated
It's similar to asking if a lawyer is worth it. Sure you can read loads of books to learn how to defend yourself, but do you have the dexterity to both learn and implement the information to do so?

It goes for exercise too. There are THOUSANDS of websites and books which can help you figure things out on your own. Do you have the time to do this? Do you want to? If you read about fitness, can you successfully implement the information you read?

If you answer no to all of this, then a trainer is worth it.

I happen to be a registered dietitian with a masters in nutrition and exercise physiology and undergrad in nutrition and studying for my certification from ACE.

Keep in mind, MANY so called "nutritionists" and trainers are not good. So do some homework.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:40 PM

16 posts, read 19,035 times
Hard to say. A personal trainer will make the process more effective and help you avoid some mistakes or injuries, but often costly, it isn't a good idea if you have a long-term plan. Training by yourself is ok if you have known basic skills.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:39 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,980,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanberone View Post
Hard to say. A personal trainer will make the process more effective and help you avoid some mistakes or injuries, but often costly, it isn't a good idea if you have a long-term plan. Training by yourself is ok if you have known basic skills.
Yes, that's right. Last year when I worked out for the first time in 6 years I have forgotten most of the proper form and usage of certain weigh training exercises. I found it very helpful with using a trainer for the first 6 months as a refresher. It's so crucial to have proper form or face the risk of injuries down the road. Almost a year later I have practice the same technique and am getting the results I'm looking for. So far I have lost almost 80 pounds and seeing muscles I haven't seen in years. However, I didn't need training for the long term so you're right on about covering the basics.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:55 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,094,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
IMO, if you're lucky enough to find the right one for you, YES. I lost 50 pounds and have actually re-shaped my body. Walking briskly will help you keep your weight down and your heart and lungs healthy for sure, (and that's all some people want) but if a person wants to actually transform the way their body looks, they will have follow a different plan. The right trainer can help you make the most of your natural genetics to get in the best shape possible for you.

As regards cost, well you definitely want to stay within your budget, but you do get what you pay for. I think back on how much money I spent over the years on items whose value and usefulness simply evaporated into thin air....impulse shopping, fast food and restaurant meals, cocktails, entertainment and I remember at the time, I gave very little thought to whether I was paying too much, and this was for things that were NOT helping me with health, fitness or weight loss goals!
Your body reshapes itself when you lose that much weight. For me, I just don't like exercising. I love to walk and run, though, so much that they don't seem like exercising to me. Something to do with the way my brain chemistry responds to it. And the simplicity of just putting on your shoes and heading out the door is a plus. It's a matter of personal preference.

Good point about the $$$ spent on crap.

I think the original poster already has her/his mind made up.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:24 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,177,908 times
No, I didn't have my mind made up...actually I prefer working out at home.
I'm not a health club kind of person, at all. I love the privacy of working out at home, nevertheless I went to the club where the trainer works.
Got my BMI, etc. I'm glad I dound out my numbers are good
So, I was shown some new exercises,
& machines- - btw is the elliptical machine good (effective) at reducing hips??

After all is said & done, I'm not gonna sign a long term contract- which is what they wanted...
I'm going to learn what's most effective & do it at home.
Just found out a friend of mine is gonna give me an elliptical & a stationery bike, so I'm set

Old 02-13-2014, 02:54 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,322 times
If I was you I would absolutely take their physique into consideration before hiring them, they must look like they practice what they preach for me to take them seriously.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:55 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,728,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Omg, lol this is serendipity at its finest
I just met my client this evening.....
turns out to be a personal trainer-
who knows exactly what the gameplan is for me
I'm so happy I don't have to go look for somebody-
I'm going to jump into this tomorrow.....
They're gonna take before & after pics, too-
good motivation
Make sure you communicate clearly and discuss what your goals are. For example do you want a tight toned physique with low bodyfat, or do you just want to slim down a bit. Two different goals, therefore two different workouts. If he is as good as my trainer, he will tailor a program meet your specific needs and goals. This is a part of what you pay a trainer for. He is working for you.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:23 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
It really depends on the personal trainer. Some trainers just aren't very good, and others are great. Also, it depends on how dedicated you are to staying in shape the other 167 hours/week. A personal trainer can't watch you every minute to make sure you're eating and working out like you should. Proper diet is the most important factor in weight loss. No amount of exercise will overcome crappy eating habits. Consistency is key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness