Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 12:45 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,023,125 times

Advertisements

I love my gym, don't get me wrong because there are machines that I feel help me make the most of my workouts. The problem is there are soooooo many people there and at times and getting on the machine can be an issue. So I'm trying to incorporate cardio and at least flexibility training at home. Is it possible to get a good workout in the privacy of your own home with just your body weight and resistance bands?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 07:20 PM

209 posts, read 465,992 times
You can absolutely bust yourself up with bands in so many ways. Here's one of my favorites, it requires a partner and some set up time. Your going to need some of the heavy weight bands like those available from Rogue Fitness and similar vendors.

01) Set up a traffic cone about 12 to 20 feet away.
02) Put on a weight belt and loop one end of band on the back of the belt.
03) Your partner holds the other end.

The idea is to run for the cone and grab it, but the closer you get the harder it gets. The cone should be far enough away so that you can't quite get there or maybe just tip it over. Then you get yanked back. Do it again and again.

A few risks with this one (your partner needs to keep control) but it is so much fun!

You can also do squats holding a band under your feet so that there is more work on eccentric phase. The main hassle with bands is getting the right length and tension. Not as easy as grabbing a dumbbell.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:44 AM

141 posts, read 243,791 times
Yes, it's a guy on youtube who specialize in resistance/rubber band training.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:04 PM

686 posts, read 1,231,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
Is it possible to get a good workout in the privacy of your own home with just your body weight and resistance bands?
With your bodyweight yes. With resistance bands, NO. Resistance bands are a bunch of baloney. Use your bodyweight and you can get a great workout.

Pushups
Planks
Tabata squats
situps
Handstands (braced against a wall) to handstand pushups
Burpees
Pullups

These are just a few bodyweight exercises you can do at home that are far far far far far far superior to anything you can do with resistance bands (which btw, are a waste of money).

Old 02-10-2014, 02:05 PM

209 posts, read 465,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chum Kiu View Post
With your bodyweight yes. With resistance bands, NO. Resistance bands are a bunch of baloney. Use your bodyweight and you can get a great workout.

Pushups
Planks
Tabata squats
situps
Burpees
Pullups

These are just a few bodyweight exercises you can do at home that are far far far far far far superior to anything you can do with resistance bands (which btw, are a waste of money).
Uh no. Your post is polemic. Okay so maybe YOU can do hand stands but not EVERYONE has the inclination, time, work load, etc. to do all that you mention. All the exercises you mention are outstanding and legit methods of training and so are bands.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:53 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,626,728 times
Absolutely! ANY exercise is better than nothing; and if you can't workout in the gym due to so many people there, at home is better than nothing.

Personally though, if that's the case, I would complain to the gym and see if you can either get a MASSIVE discount, or cancel your membership with no fees or fines.

I sure wouldn't pay for something I am unable to use due to overcrowding.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:48 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,023,125 times
I feel you on that Chum. I have a long term shoulder injury so I'm limited with what I can do properly without the help of assisted weights or with the resistance band. So I have to improvise a little bit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chum Kiu View Post

Pushups
Planks
Tabata squats
situps
Burpees
Pullups

Old 02-14-2014, 09:19 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,249,582 times
Resistance bands exert their maximum force when the muscle is in full contraction. That's one benefit over free weights. Their drawback is that there is no resistance at the starting position. Compare the two yourself with e.g., bicep curls.

For bodybuilding, a combination of free wgts. and bands appears to be ideal. For geezers like myself, the bands seem to result in less wear-and-tear on connective tissue like tendons.

You'll never win a strength contest though if your primary training regimen features bands.

Old 08-27-2020, 05:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,010 times
Default Workout with resistance bands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
I love my gym, don't get me wrong because there are machines that I feel help me make the most of my workouts. The problem is there are soooooo many people there and at times and getting on the machine can be an issue. So I'm trying to incorporate cardio and at least flexibility training at home. Is it possible to get a good workout in the privacy of your own home with just your body weight and resistance bands?
Hey, of course, it is possible to do good workouts at home. There are so many possibilities nowadays to do good training. There is a lot of equipment specially designed for home training. Here is a top 3 of the best equipment for home training (resistance bands and bodyweight training): [url]https://haryzona.com/blogs/workout-at-home/cheap-equipment[/url]
Moreover, it is much more interesting financially speaking to train at home. I recently read an article about the price of gyms, and it's scary... here is the article: [url]https://haryzona.com/blogs/workout-at-home/gym-membership-cost[/url]

Old 08-27-2020, 06:10 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,628,952 times
I think you can. I have some and I also have a Tower 200 which is a resistance band system and it works pretty good. I would never rely solely on resistance bands for exercise but they provide a good alternative for variety and if you are pressed for time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness