Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 05:36 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,800,412 times

Advertisements

I think it's important to note that the opposite of organic isn't processed... you can have organic processed foods. Take organic cereal, it doesn't grow out the ground like that, it's processed. Same with organic cookies, organic frozen dinners, etc.

Some organic foods are "worth it" in my book. I prefer organic apples, for example, because I hate wax on my apples (and the wax holds in pesticides that I don't want to eat... and can't wash off because of the wax). I like organic tomatoes too because they seem to taste better. Ever since the meat slurry scare, I buy organic ground meats. I also prefer free range meats and eggs because I feel sorry for the animals and am willing to pay more to know that they weren't caged up. I don't care so much about organic in those cases. I do care about the over use of antibiotics, but I find that the regular milk, chicken, etc... all says no use of hormones and antibiotic free and such and is less expensive.

But organic banana or avocado? I don't get it. If you are peeling it anyway, why worry about pesticides. And I remember when I lived in California a scandal about "organic olives" grown on a gold course. Sure, the olives were organic, but the golf course was sprayed with all kinds of chemicals. Always made me doubt if organic was "Real" (although that was more than 10 years ago and they may have tightened up restrictions since then).

I don't buy organic cereal, cookies, and all that stuff. Then again, I usually don't buy processed stuff much anyway--most of my groceries come from the produce, dairy, and meat sections. Sometimes I buy tea, peanut butter, and stuff from the baking isle though... and I buy bread. I just find I keep the weight off better/stay healthier cooking my own food from scratch (and it's cheaper too).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 07:25 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,479,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
I agree with that but you cant make a statement about how we are all more sick than we used to be and then blame "processed" foods and pretend you are being in any way accurate. the fact is that we are currently healthier and live longer than any period in history.
Wrong. Children, especially those born after the new millennium, are forecasted to have a life expectancy 2-5 years shorter than their parents due to living virtually their entire lives obese or overweight.

Baby Boomers and Gen X had the benefit of being (on average) normal weight during childhood and adolescence as well as enjoying the rapid advancement of late 20th and now 21st century medicine. Today's kids are contending with high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes, joint problems, sleep apnea, and acid reflux. We have children and teens who, when autopsied, are showing far more advanced progression of atherosclerosis and hearts encased in fat.

Sources:
New York Times

American Heart Association

New England Journal of Medicine

Old 03-10-2014, 07:52 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,636,607 times
fat has more energy than carbs or protein, and our body prefers to store lipids in adipose tissue. So eating a lot of fat makes losing weight difficult.

It's all about portion size.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
Wrong. Children, especially those born after the new millennium, are forecasted to have a life expectancy 2-5 years shorter than their parents due to living virtually their entire lives obese or overweight.

Baby Boomers and Gen X had the benefit of being (on average) normal weight during childhood and adolescence as well as enjoying the rapid advancement of late 20th and now 21st century medicine. Today's kids are contending with high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes, joint problems, sleep apnea, and acid reflux. We have children and teens who, when autopsied, are showing far more advanced progression of atherosclerosis and hearts encased in fat.

Sources:
New York Times

+1, I was waiting for someone to mention this. Life expectancy is going down for the up and coming generations.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:13 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post

Sources:
New York Times

haha, oh yeah im wrong? so sure about something that is "forecasted." something funny about forecasts is that they are proof of absolutely nothing. oh but you are so sure. I checked the times article, did you read it? the very first paragraph seems a lot less sure of your conclusion than you seem to be.

oh and the issue with obesity is eating too much, not whether or not your food is "organic" or not, processed or not, a whole grain or a half grain, etc. whole grains, organic products, non-processed foods are not superior except for their profit margins.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:17 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
haha, oh yeah im wrong? so sure about something that is "forecasted." something funny about forecasts is that they are proof of absolutely nothing. oh but you are so sure. I checked the times article, did you read it? the very first paragraph seems a lot less sure of your conclusion than you seem to be.

oh and the issue with obesity is eating too much, not whether or not your food is "organic" or not, processed or not, a whole grain or a half grain, etc. whole grains, organic products, non-processed foods are not superior except for their profit margins.

Right.
Have you ever seen someone obese from eating too many vegetables?

Old 03-11-2014, 05:18 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Not sure. I don't recall asking any obese people what made them so.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:41 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Not sure. I don't recall asking any obese people what made them so.
Fair point.

You don't know any obese people?
You don't notice eating habits?

I'm yet to see, what we'd term a health nut - be fat.

But I do see plenty of people who eat high processed, sugar & salt filled food ~ struggle with their weight.

I think its a ridiculous assertion to state that, as if it is a simple fact - that "obesity is eating too much".

Its eating too much - of the wrong food {amongst other things}.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Fair point.

You don't know any obese people?
You don't notice eating habits?

I'm yet to see, what we'd term a health nut - be fat.

But I do see plenty of people who eat high processed, sugar & salt filled food ~ struggle with their weight.

I think its a ridiculous assertion to state that, as if it is a simple fact - that "obesity is eating too much".

Its eating too much - of the wrong food {amongst other things}.
he technically is right. Getting obese is simply a consistent energy intake surplus. check out sumo wrestlers, their diet isn't actually that bad, they just eat a metric ton of food every day. End result: high bodyfat levels.

You are also right in a way because it is very hard to reach a significant energy surplus eating whole foods. They aren't as calorically dense as processed foods.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:28 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Right.
that is because the "too much" refers to calories not simply volume of food. vegetables have very few calories so if you eat them plain, you probably won't have to worry about eating too much of them. it has nothing to do with any of the buzz words and things people are paying extra for. I don't deny the fact that people are getting fatty pants because they are stuffing their faces with too many calories. that works for "processed" foods and "whole" foods. too many calories of either are going to make you equally as fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness