Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 10:32 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I row about twice a week at my gym since 2 months.

Don't really understand how it works out any muscles below the belt. Yes, I push away with the legs but there isn't really any resistance, so I don't get it. For me, it seems like it is all on the upper body.

I can feel it in my shoulders. And my arms (mostly from holding up the arms for so long, I am pretty weak).
I urge you to read a couple of books on rowing (on water), maybe there are even YouTube videos or something like that available now. There wasn't when I got into it though. A good stroke is a thing of beauty and on a real boat keeps you right side up! In the gym, I see rowing form so bad I want to cry. Actually I want to say... erm... sir, could I show you how to do that... but I'm afraid I would be rebuffed, so I say nothing.

You will probably find the machine on resistance 10 when you sit on it. Don't leave it there. Rowing is not dead-lifts. It's not even seated rows like bodybuilders do. Its cardio. Light resistance done for hundreds of reps vs very high resistance for a few sets of 8 repetitions. I usually set a Concept II on level 4 or 5. That is about the resistance of a pleasure boat at a boat rental at the park. Level 1 or 2 is an Olympic caliber 18' - 20' rowing scull. A Concept II on level 10 is still very rowable. A cheaper gas cartridge rower on level 10 (Precor) is barely rowable. Your form will never improve, however, if you are fighting very high resistance without the corresponding muscle strength. Just to get the handle back you are going to lock your legs and yank back on the handle. Bad. Leads to injury. Olympic rowers in high performance rowing shells never have to fight high resistance from the boat. They become very highly conditioned athletes anyway... ... works for me.

The rowing stroke is a coordinated affair between your arms and your legs. Neither should predominate. If you feel all the stress in your upper arms and shoulders, consciously focus on giving the legs more to do. I agree, it does kind of feel like there isn't any resistance... but can you keep up 34 strokes per minute for 20 minutes? An hour? It adds up. At the end of the stroke when your legs are fully extended you should be pulling the handle into your waist. You should be bolt upright or just slightly leaning back.

Rowing is deceptively simple. Its easy to think there isn't much to it and I suppose there isn't compared to... Tennis. But there is a bit of skill to it and it helps to get some tips on technique at the beginning.

H
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 11:55 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I urge you to read a couple of books on rowing (on water), maybe there are even YouTube videos or something like that available now. There wasn't when I got into it though. A good stroke is a thing of beauty and on a real boat keeps you right side up! In the gym, I see rowing form so bad I want to cry. Actually I want to say... erm... sir, could I show you how to do that... but I'm afraid I would be rebuffed, so I say nothing.

You will probably find the machine on resistance 10 when you sit on it. Don't leave it there. Rowing is not dead-lifts. It's not even seated rows like bodybuilders do. Its cardio. Light resistance done for hundreds of reps vs very high resistance for a few sets of 8 repetitions. I usually set a Concept II on level 4 or 5. That is about the resistance of a pleasure boat at a boat rental at the park. Level 1 or 2 is an Olympic caliber 18' - 20' rowing scull. A Concept II on level 10 is still very rowable. A cheaper gas cartridge rower on level 10 (Precor) is barely rowable. Your form will never improve, however, if you are fighting very high resistance without the corresponding muscle strength. Just to get the handle back you are going to lock your legs and yank back on the handle. Bad. Leads to injury. Olympic rowers in high performance rowing shells never have to fight high resistance from the boat. They become very highly conditioned athletes anyway... ... works for me.

The rowing stroke is a coordinated affair between your arms and your legs. Neither should predominate. If you feel all the stress in your upper arms and shoulders, consciously focus on giving the legs more to do. I agree, it does kind of feel like there isn't any resistance... but can you keep up 34 strokes per minute for 20 minutes? An hour? It adds up. At the end of the stroke when your legs are fully extended you should be pulling the handle into your waist. You should be bolt upright or just slightly leaning back.

Rowing is deceptively simple. Its easy to think there isn't much to it and I suppose there isn't compared to... Tennis. But there is a bit of skill to it and it helps to get some tips on technique at the beginning.

H
Hi, thanks for your advice.

I was rowing yesterday and as usually, consciously tried to focus on the legs to give them resistance but hardly anything going on there.

I only have the "ROW" option on, no levels selected.

Rowing 2,000 m is enough for me since my arms get tired from holding (not from pulling) up so long. And my shoulders start getting sore, I guess from the pulling that I don't do on any other workout machine, so it is kinda new to me.

I have very weak arms (but strong legs), when I am benchpressing, I am using the bar without any weights (since more than a year).

My upper arms are toned and you can see that I work out a lot. however, since I am tall and have long monkey arms, I guess it takes much much longer for strength to increase. I look like I could carry heavy stuff but I am incredibly weak compared to other women who have less muscles.

... I wish people would have the courage and correct me if I am using machines incorrectly.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:50 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
What kind of machines do they have at your gym? Most have Concept II machines. On a Concept II you select a resistance with a sliding lever at the extreme right side of the fan housing. The "Just Row" option in the display is just a display of your activity. Even if it is a different kind of machine there is going to be a way to select intensity. Find out how and set it to about half of maximum.

When I row my hands just skim on top of my legs. I am not "holding them up". As your knees are bending on the return stroke you let your hands ride up over them as you move forward towards maximum crunch. When the oar is all the way back it is buried in your crotch. It shouldn't be up high on your chest. Sometimes I do several strokes like that just for variety but mainly you keep the handle low.

There seems to be an unspoken rule at most gyms not to interfere with strangers doing their workouts. No matter how bad your form I am not going to interfere unless you are literally in danger OR if you ask for my help or advice. So, if you want or need some tips then you need to ask. Rowing is such a specialized activity, however, I don't think you will get much help asking for help! I just don't see that many people doing it right.

I haven't looked but I have to think there is stuff online to help you learn what a good stroke looks like. As to how it feels. Consider this: when you ride a bicycle, the proper gear to use is one in which you barely feel any pedal resistance! How many people ride like that. Very few. Most are mashing away at gears that are much too high. We seem conditioned to want to feel a high resistance when we engage our muscles. The opposite is actually what needs to happen.

2000m is a respectable "piece". How long does it take to complete 2000m? What strokes per minute can you maintain?

H

Old 09-19-2014, 12:57 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
I did rowing in the gym in college a bit. From what I remember, a sub-2 minute 500m pace is "good." That means your 2000m can be completed in 8 minutes.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:43 PM

2,151 posts, read 3,592,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
......................Consider this: when you ride a bicycle, the proper gear to use is one in which you barely feel any pedal resistance!

H
BS! Not true if you want to go fast or up a steep hill. Should have a decent fast cadence AND be pushing hard. Power is torque x rpm. RPM with no torque is not power.

Don in austin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness