Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2015, 12:03 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,590,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
My wife is 5'7", 105 pounds....she is squarely in the "underweight" BMI category, but the lady eats a healthy three meals everyday.

I only consume diet of organics myself and tend graze throughout the day and been active running since 16, took up like weights a year ago. I've never had a weight issue even after babies.. I think if anything it just goes to show no two people our alike and one really does need find what works for them..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 10:54 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,239,343 times
You can tell if you're small boned, medium, etc, by making a circle around your wrist with your thumb and pointer finger. If they overlap, you are small boned; touch, medium/average; have space, large boned.

With that being said--I'm small boned, 5'6, around 150 lbs and wear anywhere between a 2-6 depending on brand. A 28 in designer jeans.

It's all about muscle weighing more, but being leaner than fat. I am extremely fit and have to eat a very clean diet due to having Celiac (and just enjoy things like quinoa, kale, etc...and the occasional chocolate and ice cream )

However....people are right in commenting that the majority of the US' population would not fall into how I am. Still....shouldn't judge people on weight. No one believes I weigh what I do.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:20 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,464,905 times
The average adult woman in the USA is 5'4" 165 pounds, not 140 pounds.
And that stat is from 12 years ago. If the trends continued, the average adult woman is closer to 175 pounds.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:42 AM

36 posts, read 37,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy0519 View Post
You can tell if you're small boned, medium, etc, by making a circle around your wrist with your thumb and pointer finger. If they overlap, you are small boned; touch, medium/average; have space, large boned.

With that being said--I'm small boned, 5'6, around 150 lbs and wear anywhere between a 2-6 depending on brand. A 28 in designer jeans.

It's all about muscle weighing more, but being leaner than fat. I am extremely fit and have to eat a very clean diet due to having Celiac (and just enjoy things like quinoa, kale, etc...and the occasional chocolate and ice cream )

However....people are right in commenting that the majority of the US' population would not fall into how I am. Still....shouldn't judge people on weight. No one believes I weigh what I do.
Personally I'm not sure if that's really the best way to go about checking one's bone size. According to that theory, I would have "small bones". I don't believe this to be true. I am 5'4", and even when I was at my lowest (and sickest) weight at 99lbs, the smallest size I could fit into was a size 6...MAYBE a size 4 if I had tried and my waist was never smaller than 26 inches.

So I think it's a myth that people can check their bone size by their wrist. Maybe I just have very small wrist for the rest of my frame. Or maybe it's really a lot more complicated than that.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:06 AM

1,319 posts, read 2,196,799 times
I'm 5'4" and about 140. I wouldn't classify myself as fat, though I do want to lose a few more pounds. I currently wear a size 6. I do have a muscular build and am pretty active. I would like to get down to a size 4. That's my goal.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:06 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,633,327 times
I think it's kind of missing the point that most of these threads quickly devolve into, "Well I look good in my opinion and I weigh X and I'm Y inches tall!"

It really doesn't matter if you think you're good looking or other people think you're good looking. I'm not saying looking good isn't an awesome, nice side effect of working out and being healthy, of course! But the raw facts are pretty undeniable. They are flexible, as there is a lot of research out there, but to be in the normal range as a guy you want 13-19% body fat and as a girl you want 18-24% body fat. Those are pretty well established guidelines. So if you're over those, you weigh too much. Bottom line. Doesn't matter what you look like.

Frankly, I'm not the kind of person who thinks just being in a normal range is acceptable or desirable. I don't know about most people here, but when I do my work or when I do anything in life, I expect to be the best at it or one of the best, I don't expect to be mediocre or to fit with the pathetic average ability of the person off the streets. I'm sorry, but aim higher. Athletic guys are 6-13% body fat (I am currently at 10% and unhappy with how it looks, would definitely prefer 7-8%) and athletic girls are more like 12-18% body fat. If your health is going to be impacted by being in better shape and being lower weight, why not?!

Clearly it's not all about weight, either. You could be in horrible shape and be just fine in the weight department. A girl could be 115 pounds and 5'2" but not eating very healthy, not working out, and be overfat as far as body fat percentage goes. Or at least on the edge. It's quality of pounds not just the weight.

I haven't lost more than maybe 1 pound in the past 2 months but I've continued to gain strength and increase my bench press even while losing a tiny amount of weight, so the fat is being replaced by lean muscle tissue.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:30 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Just because 140 is included in the chart for 5'4" women doesn't mean that's a healthy weight for most women that height. 140 is the top of the range, which should tell you something. It's not "normal" as in: healthy, for most 5'4" women. The ideal weight for most women that height would be in the middle of the range and below. 140 is included to make allowances for women who are big-boned and/or have a lot of lean muscle mass. (Or to allow for age, like for post-menopausal women, for example.) It's not there as an excuse for small- to medium-build women to say "See? It says 140 lbs. is ok for my height!"

Old 03-22-2015, 05:38 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I just read in a newspaper article about eating disorders that the average woman is 5'4" and 140 pounds.
How old is this average woman and how many children has she had?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMnjF1O4eH0

Old 03-23-2015, 01:27 AM

195 posts, read 186,249 times
5'4" should be 110 lbs, man. 140 is quite fat, unless she's a bodybuilder type muscle fiend. It's all about bodyfat %. 10% is about right for men, 15% for women. Problem is, the various methods of measuring bodyfat vary a lot between each other, and are not all that accurate. So the best idea is to always use the same one, (for consistency) and see to it that the # gets smaller as you workout and control your diet.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:50 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadd View Post
5'4" should be 110 lbs, man. 140 is quite fat, unless she's a bodybuilder type muscle fiend. It's all about bodyfat %. 10% is about right for men, 15% for women. Problem is, the various methods of measuring bodyfat vary a lot between each other, and are not all that accurate. So the best idea is to always use the same one, (for consistency) and see to it that the # gets smaller as you workout and control your diet.
You have EXTREMELY high standards for men and women alike. 10% BF on men is pretty lean. I believe the ideal range is closer to 17-20%. For women it's higher. Not that you don't see men and women that low, but to expect the average to be 10% and 15% respectively is not realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness