Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 04:13 PM

294 posts, read 542,738 times

Advertisements

Ok I'm 36 and have had 2 babies (youngest is turning 5) I have eaten like crap fro years because I was always the one who could eat whatever they want and never work out and still be slim and muscular in arms and legs. Well now it is def not the case lol. I have started dieting and working out 5 days a weeks and this week I really amped up my workouts to an hour doing random things like squats with doing bicep curls for 30 seconds then jumping rope for 30 second and then going through all different exercises for the different areas like butt, arms, legs and abs doing 30 sec intervals with jumping rope for 30 sec in between each set..totaling an hour. now it is only my 3rd day doing this type of exercise but did do 30 minutes 5 days a week just not with jumping rope in between.

My question is I spend about 10 minutes on abs alone and feel like I do a ton of thigh/leg workouts. Also I eat basically NO carbs. Like for breakfast I will have fresh fruit with scrambled eggs then a banana for snack before working out then an apple after, then lunch I will eat turkey and cheese with no bread just roll it up and eat with cherry tomatoes and/or grapes on the side..water only throughout the day..then dinner I will have lean steak or chicken with a veg on the side and that's it for the day...now I HAVE lost some weight prolly 10lbs but I don't see much of a change in my abs and inner thighs??

Any suggestions as to what I should do to help speed it up lol I need motivation to keep this up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 04:19 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Don't expect things to change overnight; it will take a while. Remember, diet is the key to get that flat stomach, not so much the exercising.

Btw, why are you so in a rush?

Old 03-13-2014, 04:34 PM

Well not so much in a rush..I only want to lose MAYBE 10 more lbs..I actually think my 'size' is fine I just can't deal with the flab overhang and the jiggle of the inner thighs lol. My arms re alreayd nice and toned up as are most of legs just not the inner thigh area. I never had to do abs before because I was always naturally slim..but again def NOT the case anymore. Like when I do planks my whole tummy seems to 'hang' not ridiculous but enough to make me want to get a mini tuck (just kidding) I just don't know if it actual fat or maybe skin being stretched too far after babies??

Old 03-13-2014, 04:58 PM

686 posts, read 1,231,300 times
You are doing everything just fine. It just takes time. The flab will disappear soon enough as long as you maintain consistency in your diet. This means NO CHEATING!!

Are you going heavy on your lifts? Reason I ask is that it will allow you to burn fat more efficiently even at rest. Go heavy, then do your cardio workout after.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:04 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuda1 View Post
Well not so much in a rush..I only want to lose MAYBE 10 more lbs..I actually think my 'size' is fine I just can't deal with the flab overhang and the jiggle of the inner thighs lol. My arms re alreayd nice and toned up as are most of legs just not the inner thigh area. I never had to do abs before because I was always naturally slim..but again def NOT the case anymore. Like when I do planks my whole tummy seems to 'hang' not ridiculous but enough to make me want to get a mini tuck (just kidding) I just don't know if it actual fat or maybe skin being stretched too far after babies??
Lol, youre funny!

Listen, try to keep your diet clean, and with a little exercise, that 10lbs will fall right off just don't lose your motivation I know, you can do it!

Last edited by hawaiiancoconut; 03-13-2014 at 05:54 PM..

Old 03-13-2014, 05:25 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
It takes time to get results, you only just started. Give it a month, and see if you notice a difference. (You will, if you're doing everything right.)

Fresh fruit AND a banana + an apple + grapes is FAR from "no carbs". Bananas are one of the starchiest (= carby-est) foods known to man. Snack on cheese + a couple of crackers or thin apple slices, instead of the banana. Fresh fruit is very high in carbs (fructose), too.

Better version of your diet: omelette with yellow squash slices, onions, cheese. 2 whole eggs, + 2 egg whites.

With that much protein, you may not need a snack. If you do, make it 3/4 cup cottage cheese. (This has a few carbs.)

Lunch: turkey, cheese, cucumber, tomato + lettuce "breadless sandwich". (Extra fiber from the cucumber & tomato helps fill you up.)

Dinner: Chicken or fish or hamburger patty with a veggie. Salad w/mixed greens & raw brocolli/sliced red cabbage/cauliflower (choose one), feta cheese, oil & vinegar dressing w/garlic or green onions in the dressing. (Fiber from salad helps fill you up. Salad greens and cabbage have no carbs. Root veggies (carrots) have carbs. Avoid.)

alternative lunch or dinner: 4 oz. of tuna for tuna salad stuffed in 1/2 avocado (avocado has carbs)

You can have a few carbs (as outlined ^^), but multiple servings of fruit in 1 day is too much. Fructose provokes an insulin response, and insulin causes you to turn calories into fat. Keeping carbs to a bare minimum is essential.

You'll be hungry on a low-carb diet like this the first week or two, then you body will adjust, and you'll feel full after each meal.

** When you reach your goal, gradually increase carbs over a couple of months. To maintain your weight loss, you'll have to continue with the high protein, modified carb ratio the rest of your life. This is healthy eating! You'll be able to increase your carbs to a moderate level and still be ok. (i.e. 1 slice toast with your eggs, 1/2 apple for lunch w/your chicken, cottage cheese snack, rice with dinner, or beans in your salad, or a whole artichoke with dinner.)

Be sure to do a weight training circuit at least 3 x/wk. to build lean muscle mass. This helps you lose weight.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:38 PM

Thanx to everyone!! ruth4truth what do you mean weight circuts?? Like what I have been doing?? Also good o know on the fruit being starchy etc..I more meant no bread or pasta or potatoes..didn't realize the fruits weren't helping I like the diet modification you gave though..I will def try that!! I actually had a hamburger with lettuce and tomato NO bun it was good. But I like the breakfast ideas because that's my hardest meal.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:47 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuda1 View Post
Thanx to everyone!! ruth4truth what do you mean weight circuts?? Like what I have been doing?? Also good o know on the fruit being starchy etc..I more meant no bread or pasta or potatoes..didn't realize the fruits weren't helping I like the diet modification you gave though..I will def try that!! I actually had a hamburger with lettuce and tomato NO bun it was good. But I like the breakfast ideas because that's my hardest meal.
Just keep your calories under control. Carbs are not going to kill you if they are complex carbs, like whole grains. Just eat fresh, whole foods and try not to focus on eliminating certain groups of food, except for prepackaged and fast foods. You can eliminate those. This should be a lifestyle change you can live with, not one that is hard to stay on.
When exercising focus on your whole core area which is basically your entire trunk, front and back. Planks and movements that require more than one targeted area are much better and will provide quicker results. If you belong to a gym hire a personal trainer for a session and tell that what yo want to achieve and they can put together a workout for you that focuses on what you want to achieve.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:07 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,272,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Just keep your calories under control. Carbs are not going to kill you if they are complex carbs, like whole grains. Just eat fresh, whole foods and try not to focus on eliminating certain groups of food, except for prepackaged and fast foods. You can eliminate those. This should be a lifestyle change you can live with, not one that is hard to stay on.
When exercising focus on your whole core area which is basically your entire trunk, front and back. Planks and movements that require more than one targeted area are much better and will provide quicker results. If you belong to a gym hire a personal trainer for a session and tell that what yo want to achieve and they can put together a workout for you that focuses on what you want to achieve.
Exactly. If you want bananas eat 1 and pair it with a protein or fat. You don't have to eliminate fruits and grains or cut out carbs in order to get results. It takes time, patience, persistance and realistic ideas about what you can stick with in the long haul versus what will only last a month before your back to the same bad habits.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:11 PM

I have been doing this 30 day workout challenge and only on day 4 with that but it seems pretty intense, although I feel it is more intense because of the jump rope. I don't feel anything as far as soreness except in my calves?? So not sure if I should just go back to doing what I was doing before that and just add the jump roping in or just stick with the program? I feel like after 3 hour long workouts I should feel SOME kind of soreness? Right? maybe an of you could check it out and let me know what you think, you don't need to watch entire thing but maybe to see what type of thing she is doing?

Day #3 - Real Time 30 Day Challenge - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness