Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 07:12 PM

240 posts, read 422,867 times

Advertisements

I've been working out quite a bit. Right now my target area is my abs. I've been using a few different fitness programs all of which include standing ab exercises. Whenever I do the standing ab exercises I never feel it. I don't feel a burn or my abs being worked like I do when I do the variety of crunch ab exercises. I try to mirror my form exactly like the trainer so I believe my form is correct. I feel like I'm wasting my time with the standing abs. Does anyone else do standing ab exercises and do they work for you? Or do you have any suggestions for affective exercises for abs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 08:38 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
I don't do any ab exercises at all, eat like a pig and have impressive looking abs for a guy in his late 40's. Do a lot of kettlebell swings and Turkish get ups with a kettlebell. Add a little running three days a week and I'm golden.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:35 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
standing ab wheel roll outs works great for me

Old 03-25-2014, 08:13 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,380 times
Abs are made in the kitchen.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:37 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,434 times
Standing ab exercises are good for some things but the best way to target your abs (especially the lowers) is by curving your torso inward, which is hard to do with much resistance while standing. Is there some reason you can't do floor exercises? Do you not have a mat or area to lay? (not trying to be funny… just asking)

Bicycles are one of the best overall ab exercises. Crunches are great too if you do them right. I like to do hanging knee raises (with support straps). And there are many others which require little to no equipment. I generally avoid anything that requires my feet to be fixed because the tendency is to just work the hip flexors in that case, which commonly leads to injury.

If you really want a good core workout while standing, the best thing is probably a heavy bag and some proper kickboxing moves.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:38 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
110-125 lb in vertical traction is great for building a tough chest plate, at least for men. I want advise for my abs too, though.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:15 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,359 times
I just started doing the 6 week 6 pack workout (free to me with Amazon Prime) with my kids - it's fun and seems to really be quite the workout (I'm in shape but couldn't get through the entire level 1 workout the 1st two times I tried). There are lots of standing ab exercises in the workout which I never really did before now. I started doing the workout as more of a fun activity as opposed to Yoga which after a few weeks started to bore the kids. It is fun, and if you stick with it I'm sure you will get a much stronger core.

Visible and beautiful abs are absolutely 100% made in the kitchen in my opinion (after doing lots of research and living lots of life that's my conclusion). Until you cut back (or remove completely) sugar, gluten, and refined/processed/fast food in general, you will not have visible abs (well, that is unless you take steroids which can melt the body fat off your body artificially and potentially give you other side effects - just saying as I've seen this first hand). But for me working them out directly isn't just about keeping the sexy look of having visible abs (and feeling better about myself), it's more about keeping my body strong. The core muscles seem to keep injuries at bay for my back as I continue to workout to make the rest of my body stronger/able to more more weight day to day.

Good luck

Old 03-25-2014, 10:32 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,627,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali2jersey View Post
I've been working out quite a bit. Right now my target area is my abs. I've been using a few different fitness programs all of which include standing ab exercises. Whenever I do the standing ab exercises I never feel it. I don't feel a burn or my abs being worked like I do when I do the variety of crunch ab exercises. I try to mirror my form exactly like the trainer so I believe my form is correct. I feel like I'm wasting my time with the standing abs. Does anyone else do standing ab exercises and do they work for you? Or do you have any suggestions for affective exercises for abs?
Go get you some ankle weights (the heaviest ones you can find and make sure they are fully adjustable) strap those things around your ankles and do some standing alternate knee ups and, some alternate leg lifts and then call me in the morning.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:05 PM

195 posts, read 281,443 times
Google for "legendary abs program" I've used it since 1987, and I can take any man's bare knuckle punch to my navel.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:40 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quoss View Post
...I can take any man's bare knuckle punch to my navel.
Is that a challenge?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness