Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 06:36 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,565,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
gotta love a woman who squats! lookin' good wildcard!
Thank you~ I'm trying...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I'm in my 60s and still (slowly) incrementing weight in my squats. My limitation is my knees at this point.

Sweet~ I'm hoping I can kept it going into my later years as well, I do take great care with my knees in hopes I never develop a problem ...So far Squats haven't caused any issues...

Old 03-26-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsness View Post
Squat, leg press, lunge, hack squats - heavy weight and high volume. Plus you need to have enough of a caloric surplus to add muscle - that means eat!

This is my leg progress over the course of six years:
WOW! Mine no where near that, lol~ I give you credit , that takes a lot work and dedications. I'm just working on staying fit & healthy...... ..

Old 03-26-2014, 06:53 PM

28,568 posts, read 18,579,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
Sweet~ I'm hoping I can kept it going into my later years as well, I do take great care with my knees in hopes I never develop a problem ...So far Squats haven't caused any issues...
Squats didn't cause my knee problems. For whatever reason, maybe just genetic, I had to stop running in my late 20s because of knee problems and start cycling. I kept up a medium-intensity squat program even then, and started working harder on my squats in my 50s.

Improving on other exercises is much more difficult, but improvements keep coming with squats, slowly but surely. I'd rather not have to favor my knees, though.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:01 PM

195 posts, read 279,870 times
baloney, if your knee gives out or you overbalance, the squat, with heavy weight on the bar, can destroy your back, forever, quite easily. It often blows out knees, people. That's why guys wear knee wraps (and b ack braces) while they squat.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:49 PM

686 posts, read 1,225,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quoss View Post
baloney, if your knee gives out or you overbalance, the squat, with heavy weight on the bar, can destroy your back, forever, quite easily. It often blows out knees, people. That's why guys wear knee wraps (and b ack braces) while they squat.
You don't squat do you?

I have never squatted have you?

Old 03-26-2014, 07:52 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,625,370 times
Quote:
most people aren't squatting 300+ pounds. Proper form is crucial with any weight training, squats are no different. Make sure you've got your toes flared out a bit and your feet the proper width from each other, proper spine position, etc, and you'll be fine. If your knee's/back are already a wreck then obviously watch out for them, heavy squats aren't for everyone.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:17 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,199,905 times
Spin class. period My friend had to quit cuz it was making her legs bigger. I respect you for wanting to please him but he should love you the way you are. One day you might have a wrinkle. What's he gonna do then, HUH?

Old 03-26-2014, 08:44 PM

28,568 posts, read 18,579,280 times
Quote:
If you're stupid, yes. You can blow out your knees doing deep knee bends with no weight at all, if you're stupid.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Squats didn't cause my knee problems. For whatever reason, maybe just genetic, I had to stop running in my late 20s because of knee problems and start cycling. I kept up a medium-intensity squat program even then, and started working harder on my squats in my 50s.

Improving on other exercises is much more difficult, but improvements keep coming with squats, slowly but surely. I'd rather not have to favor my knees, though.

I was referring to myself, as a runner I take great care of my knees, don't want em to go out on me ...Sorry for the misunderstanding...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness