Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 10:50 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,795 times

Advertisements

The pushing begins next Tuesday, I will report my results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 12:23 PM

24,490 posts, read 17,232,699 times
My first car was a 1977 MGB and I pushed that thing alot. I think pushing a car would take great effort and work out your muscles but not a good cardio exercise. Cardio should be a exercise where you raise your heart rate for an extended time like 30 minutes.
We once had 20 yards of dirt delivered and I used a garden wagon to disperse around the property. All the digging and the pulling of the wagon with a couple hundred pounds in it really gave me a good workout.
I also like cutting and splitting wood.
If the car doesn't work out get a wagon and some big logs or rocks to load into it and move it around your yard.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:05 PM

The pushing has begun, I have mixed feelings and rezults so far. It felt great to push a car and it is sustainable for a reasonable amount of time, it will certainly give my legs and cardiovascular system a nice workout, however I need to tweak the program somewhat because without a driver it is hard to push it in front of the house because of the steering and that limits the distance and time pushing, I will either have to push the car in the middle of the street and that means doing it late at night or find a parking lot where I can do it. Im not sure how I am going to.do that but I will figure it.out. I will keep in touch

Old 04-12-2014, 06:52 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,552 times
I was thinking about your car pushing plan yesterday when I was. Pushing a fully laoaded wheelbarrel uphill around my house yesterday. It really was a strenuous exercise and quite effective for my legs and core. Perhaps if the car pushing doesn't work out you may try something like that. (I wasn't doing it as a workout but for landscaping so it was multi tasking for me but still effective

Old 04-13-2014, 12:18 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Maybe tie down the steering wheel to the brake pedal with a bungee or something?

In terms of getting better, that'll come through practice and training. I bet doing it with a friend would be pretty fun too.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:21 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
Hi everyone, I want to discuss something with you. I have always had a somewhat onorthdox training style and I am happy like that. I am always trying to come up with different exercises that will make me sronger faster and overall healthier and since cardio has always been my weak point I want to tackle this hard. I have come up several exercises that have done worders for others and I will be giving them a try but the one I want to discuss with you is pushing a car. I will soon start pushing a car about 100 -150 ft multiple times as part of the cardio and functional strength segment of my workouts and I want to know if any of you has done it before and what results have you seen as far as strength stamina and muscle size? For those of you who are crazy like me when it comes to exercise, let's hear your experiences.
I've done it... out of necessity rather than as exercise and it definitely puts a considerable amount of stress on your cardiovascular system, so be careful.

One time I stopped on the side of the road to help some folks push a 2 door up a slight grade. One of the poor saps who owned the car exerted himself so badly that he started to bend over and hold his chest. I told him to go sit on the curb while the rest of us pushed it for him.

I have also pushed a scooter up and down 1.5 miles worth of hills and a 1000cc motorcycle about 1/3 of a mile after the clutch cable broke. Best calf workout I have ever had.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:37 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Quote:
The pushing has begun, I have mixed feelings and rezults so far. It felt great to push a car and it is sustainable for a reasonable amount of time, it will certainly give my legs and cardiovascular system a nice workout, however I need to tweak the program somewhat because without a driver it is hard to push it in front of the house because of the steering and that limits the distance and time pushing, I will either have to push the car in the middle of the street and that means doing it late at night or find a parking lot where I can do it. Im not sure how I am going to.do that but I will figure it.out. I will keep in touch
It could be a good workout, but I question the wisdom and legality of your plan.

If you're pushing the car without a driver you can't control where it goes, and it if starts to get away from you you'll have a hard time stopping it.

If you're pushing the car with a driver I wouldn't be surprised if the police view this the same as operating the vehicle in neutral, like coasting, which is probably not legal where you live.

You could potentially avoid this if you get someone willing to go to a parking lot with you, but it's also possible the owner of the parking lot would disapprove.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:53 PM

I will do some more pushing tonight, but boy what happened to me this morning. I was on my way to the gym and I was going to stop at the gas station because I was low on gas but the truck's gas gauge said it still had an eight of a tank so I figured it was no problem, guess what my truck lied to me, when I was almost at the gas station the needle went all the way down and I ran out of gas right at the intersection so I had to get out and push my Dodge Ram and to my surprise I was able to move it, fortunately two guys came.to help me so I got more than I bargained for. Now I know that when I get proficient pushing the small car I can move on to pushing my truck.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:01 AM

284 posts, read 492,289 times
Quote:
It's all good, I forgot to mention that it is a small car and the way I intend to do it is for a distance which will allow me to raise my heart rate while giving my legs a killer workout. My rest periods will be brief and I suppose performance will improve over time.
You might try running while pulling a car tire on a rope round your waist- good for aerobic development and strengthens the legs, plus you don't need a driver.
There are videos on Youtube of people doing this that you might find interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness