Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 10:23 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,627,759 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I want to discuss something with you. I have always had a somewhat onorthdox training style and I am happy like that. I am always trying to come up with different exercises that will make me sronger faster and overall healthier and since cardio has always been my weak point I want to tackle this hard. I have come up several exercises that have done worders for others and I will be giving them a try but the one I want to discuss with you is pushing a car. I will soon start pushing a car about 100 -150 ft multiple times as part of the cardio and functional strength segment of my workouts and I want to know if any of you has done it before and what results have you seen as far as strength stamina and muscle size? For those of you who are crazy like me when it comes to exercise, let's hear your experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 10:38 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,434 times
Will it have a driver in it? I've pushed a car many times out of necessity and yes it does require very intense effort. It will be great exercise if you can find a way to do it safely and for far enough without having to turn corners, go uphill or do things that are probably illegal. Can't you just drag a heavy burlap bag through a field or something for the same effect? In any case, I'm all about finding interesting ways to workout which don't involve heavy steel discs and a smelly room so let us know how it goes.

This is why I don't understand when people think it's weird that I like to workout with my kids. They're great for things like weighing down a grass-sled or sitting on my back when doing pushups, etc… and they enjoy it just long enough to get through a few sets and then they move on and give me some space.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:43 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
it seems inconvenient but I guess it would be a great workout if you do it enough.

this reminds me of a cool thing I saw once in the gym. basically, one person was wearing some kind of vest that had these bungee cords hanging behind it. the person wearing the vest tries to run while someone else is holding them back by the bungee cords. it was hilarious to watch the guy struggle to hold the lady back when she was trying to run. probably a great exercise for both.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Will it have a driver in it? I've pushed a car many times out of necessity and yes it does require very intense effort. It will be great exercise if you can find a way to do it safely and for far enough without having to turn corners, go uphill or do things that are probably illegal. Can't you just drag a heavy burlap bag through a field or something for the same effect? In any case, I'm all about finding interesting ways to workout which don't involve heavy steel discs and a smelly room so let us know how it goes.

This is why I don't understand when people think it's weird that I like to workout with my kids. They're great for things like weighing down a grass-sled or sitting on my back when doing pushups, etc… and they enjoy it just long enough to get through a few sets and then they move on and give me some space.
Damn I guess there are some people here as crazy as me well I feel better now. I guess we are a select group of misunderstood fellows. I have a plan and I think it will work just fine.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
I guess there are some people here as crazy as me well I feel better now. I guess we are a select group of misunderstood fellows. I have a plan and I think it will work just fine.
In some open space near my house there are some very old cars (talking 40's-50's vintage) just sitting there. They're worth about $200-300 each in scrap metal but it would cost more than that to get a flatbed truck in there to winch them up and haul them away properly. I have a trailer that could carry them in pieces but it can't legally or safely be driven back into that area. I've tried to get a few friends together to go in there and drag it all out by hand. So far no one I've asked thought that sounded like much fun, but maybe if I charged people to do it as some kind of 'extreme fitness' event… ? And if I had a certain level of competition which featured 'laps' they might not even notice that it was all ending up in my front yard for me to capitalize on after the 'event'.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:07 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
Pushing a car? Hey why not, ive lifted, pushed, and dragged big rubber tires in an empty parking lot for exercise.

Just make sure your car is registered and insured before pushing it down the street

Old 03-27-2014, 04:24 PM

355 posts, read 1,115,281 times
Yes, several times. It was EXTREMELY exhausting . We pushed it 2x for about 25 yards each time up a very slight hill (car was a 2006 hyundai elantra). We did that 2x for 2 weeks and that was the end of that.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:53 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
I don't think you understand what cardio is.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Really? Why don't you explain it to me then?

Old 03-28-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Cardio (from Greek kardia - heart) may refer to: Heart, Cardiology, Cardiovascular System, Aerobic exercise, etc.

It's also a buzzword that people like to use to separate weight training from that other stuff. But the two do not always have to be mutually exclusive. If your heart is beating fast (60 and 85% of your max HR) and you're breathing hard, then you're getting aerobic exercise and training your cardiovascular system. If you're exerting significant energy against an external force (including the ground) then you're working your muscles (among other things) and they well be stimulated to grow stronger.

If you don't believe that you can do both at once, try doing some high-intesity, explosive punches, kicks and knees against a heavy bag and/or sparring partner for 30 minutes and tell me if you just did 'cardio' 'or 'strength'. I see no reason why pushing a car would not offer similar benefits. Just like anything, it won't be a total fitness solution by itself, but it sure sounds like an interesting addition. If my kids were a little older I'd put one of them in the driver side of my car and go try it myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness