Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 08:44 AM

850 posts, read 3,715,277 times

Advertisements

I'd like to try running again. I tried it in the past and think I started out to strong and then burned out. Any suggestions to get me started? I've heard so many differing opinions about warmups, stretching before versus during versus after, alternating times between walking and running, etc. It's all so confusing and I want to start out right this time so I can stick with it without burning out right away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 10:53 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,434 times
1. Find interesting place(s) to run.
2. Start out slow and don't push it too hard for a while; Concentrate on just enjoying it.
3. Enter a race when you can; It will highly motivate you and race day is tons o fun.
4. Buy shoes that are right for you and take all the words of 'shoe wisdom with' a grain of salt. -- I do much better in very low profile (but not barefoot) shoes... others still swear by the padded ones, some say barefoot; If the ones you have make your ankles or knees hurt regularly, switch.
5. Learn good form (chi running is the best book on form I've found, but there are others)
6. Don't get sucked into the marathon craze until if/when you are ready. (see item #2 above)
7. Stretching... I don't know, I guess you're supposed too. I don't, at least not before, but I don't advocate that. Either way, warm up by walking for a minute or two and then run slower at first and faster later. Stretching afterward is supposed to help minimize lactic acid buildup but if you ran harder and longer than you're conditioned too, then you'll be sore with or without stretching. I'm more inclined to stretch after a resistance workout than after running but like I said I don't advocate that. In the end you'll do what works for you.
8. Drink water and carry plenty of it with you especially if it's hot.
9. Monitor your heart rate if you can... HR is more telling than timing or distance because it's the only thing that really tells you how HARD you're working. (besides time and distance can both easily be calculated afterwards these days.
10. Don't over-complicate things. The beauty of running is its simplicity. If you have legs that work then you were born to run!

Old 03-28-2014, 11:28 AM

625 posts, read 902,563 times
I don't know if this will help, but I started running on the treadmill via the C25K or C210K app. It has helped me tremendously. I run every other day and ensure to strength train on the days I run, so that I can build my legs, glutes, calves etc. I drink a lot of water to keep myself hydrated 7 days per week and take multivamin. I started at a moderate pace (which has increased since) and uses a HR monitor. On days when I don't feel like using the app, I use an interval training schedule (found on line) which helps me to run at different speeds for short period of time. Hope this helps in some way and best of luck.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:23 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
The more you run the more acclimated your body will get to running.

Start running short distances and gradually increase distance.

Also, food! A good pre run meal can make a dramatic difference in performance/endurance, along with being well hydrated and well rested.

Happy running

Old 03-28-2014, 12:41 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
Get behind a girl in running tights, that'll motivate you.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:54 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,100 times
get high and pretend you're running from the police.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:18 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
get high and pretend you're running from the police.
Dork!

But seriously that and G-fused suggestions are probably the best ones to start out with because they're geared toward making it interesting. Things like tempo circuits, treadmill sessions, cross-training, nutrition and pre-race meals are all great suggestions for IMPROVING your running, but they don't do a whole lot to help you fall in love with running in the first place. And if you don't do that, then all those other things will just add to the 'chore' of running and you probably won't stick with it long term.

That's why #1 on my list was to find somewhere interesting to run. Like, for example on a trail or at a beach or at least a scenic neighborhood in your area. If that's not possible, then find ways to make an otherwise boring run interesting… like being chased or chasing someone/thing (not literally of course). You also want it to be as accessible as possible, like right outside your front door if you can. That way you can minimize all the 'work' factors associated with running and just take off from your house and enjoy being out there. The point is to enjoy it… explore side streets, discover trails, have adventures and maybe even seek a little danger (within reason)… whatever it takes to enjoy the run. Do that and very soon you'll be yearning for ways to improve which is when all those other suggestions come in.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:30 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Run on a treadmill.

No potholes, rocks, bad weather (or bad weather excuses), no cars to hit you, or stranger danger. You don't have to carry water, you have a built-in heart rate monitor, you can adjust the incline, you can run at all hours, and you can watch an endless variety of TV and movies (recommend Netflix) on a laptop or iPad or TV while you do it.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:44 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,386,514 times
What exactly do you mean when you say you "burned out?" You mean you got injured, you got sick of running... something else?

The best advice is to not try and not too fast. Too many people go out and set a ridiculous short-term goal like "I'm not going to run a mile in 6 minutes." A much better goal is to run slowly and very gradually get faster. As you get fitter, you will get faster. Set yourself a goal of going out for 30 minutes. Run until you get tired, then walk to recover. Then run again. Within a month you should be able to run 30 minutes without stopping.

The problem with beginning runners is that they get discouraged or reach a plateau and then stop. The real goal should be to run for a lifetime. It's a great feeling to have a big day eating and know that later on, you can run 10 miles effortlessly and burn off 1,000 calories. Running makes you feel amazing and the fitness you'll have will increase your confidence and better your life. Count on it.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:49 PM

4,510 posts, read 5,048,411 times
"New to running...need advice"

Don't, your knees will thank you later !

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness