Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 07:50 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,375,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I am a South Indian Hindu vegetarian. Our caste prescribes avoiding any consumption of eggs, meat, seafood, and mushrooms. Its mainly my diet that makes me feel so weak, since our foods have very little protein by prescription. Our food is limited to only rice, rotis, pulses, milk, fruits, and spiced veggies. Its increasingly difficult for me to find the right things to eat for muscle building. I am not giving up my religious beliefs for muscle building, so tell me what to do.

Around 170.5 lb with heavy muscle is the ideal view for my body. I am right now at 180.6 lb, with tough leg muscles but nothing else. I tried pushing myself, but saturate at 145 lb (doing 8 reps), and that's just once. My only source of fitness pride is doing 320 lb leg presses .
Is protein powder against your religion? It's not "quite" as idea, but combined with amino acids is a relatively close best thing, especially using different varying protein powders throughout the day... I.e. casein before bed, whey after you lift, and then a protein blend such as BSN's syntha-6 throughout the day...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Does spinach help in building muscle ?

Perhaps Popeye fooled me into thinking so , but I can mix pulses and spinach into a yummy vegetarian dinner.
Where did I mention spinach? What are you talking about? I'm giving you advice, and you are wasting my time..

This is why people like me are reluctant to help people like you. I don't know how much time I've wasted over the years giving advice to people who asked for it, then it's just a waste of time.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:29 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,203,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Where did I mention spinach? What are you talking about? I'm giving you advice, and you are wasting my time..

This is why people like me are reluctant to help people like you. I don't know how much time I've wasted over the years giving advice to people who asked for it, then it's just a waste of time.
OK, I understood what you said to me. I am a bit iffy on consuming powders. Its surely not against my religion, but sounds more like medication for muscle building. Let me see how it works for my body, and then get back to you with the results. Thanks for the tip .

Old 03-31-2014, 09:37 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,677,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
For the OP: this forum is dominated enormously by weightlifters who disdain and belittle cardio. The above post personfieid this:

LOL! As if long distance running doesn't sculpt this body, build muscle, increase metabolism and give you confidence?

lol as if it does. Cardio burns both fat and muscle and is a catabolic activity. Sprinting on the other hand is different.

To OP. Yes you should lift weights. More muscle, faster metabolism, healthier than just cutting fat. Strengthens bones, central nervous system, joints etc.

Last edited by skel1977; 03-31-2014 at 09:53 AM..

Old 03-31-2014, 09:56 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,335,831 times
Quote:
OK, I understood what you said to me. I am a bit iffy on consuming powders. Its surely not against my religion, but sounds more like medication for muscle building. Let me see how it works for my body, and then get back to you with the results. Thanks for the tip .
I don't use any supplements when building muscle (not even protein powder) I stay away from that stuff; it has all sorts of artificial stuff added into it. A lot of my protein are plant base. Don't get me wrong, I eat meat, but just not a shiit load.

Spinach is a great source of protein (it has the most amino acids of all veggies) but isn't a "complete protein", its "incomplete protein" (meaning it lacks or is low in one or more of the 9 essential amino acids required to build muscle) only animal protein comes complete with all 9 amino acids. Bad thing about animal protein is that it doesn't come cholesterol free and is fiber free. We need fiber in our diet

If you want to eat veggies for muscle building (or go meat free) you must know what types of other things to eat with it to make it complete. an example, people eat peanut butter (while an incomplete protein) with celery (which makes it a complete protein meal) what peanut butter lacks in the 9 amino acids celery is high in, but celery lacks a lot of the other 9 amino acids. Makes sense?

Do your research in what types of veggies and other things you can eat to make it a complete protein meal.

Sometimes its just easier to eat meat, dude, Lol. or drink a protein shake here and there.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:09 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,203,785 times
LeQUOTE=hawaiiancoconut;34118601]I don't use any supplements when building muscle (not even protein powder) I stay away from that stuff; it has all sorts of artificial stuff added into it. A lot of my protein are plant base. Don't get me wrong, I eat meat, but just not a shiit load.

Spinach is a great source of protein (it has the most amino acids of all veggies) but isn't a "complete protein", its "incomplete protein" (meaning it lacks or is low in one or more of the 9 essential amino acids required to build muscle) only animal protein comes complete with all 9 amino acids. Bad thing about animal protein is that it doesn't come cholesterol free and is fiber free. We need fiber in our diet

If you want to eat veggies for muscle building (or go meat free) you must know what types of other things to eat with it to make it complete. an example, people eat peanut butter (while an incomplete protein) with celery (which makes it a complete protein meal) what peanut butter lacks in the 9 amino acids celery is high in, but celery lacks a lot of the other 9 amino acids. Makes sense?

Do your research in what types of veggies and other things you can eat to make it a complete protein meal.

Sometimes its just easier to eat meat, dude, Lol. or drink a protein shake here and there.[/quote]

Thanks. That sounds much better. I have come to realize its my lack of proper nutrition, not effort that's preventing me from lifting heavier weights.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:13 AM

2,319 posts, read 3,050,721 times
The subject heading in your post said you prefer running and yoga, but I didn't notice a mention of yoga in your original post. If you really practice yoga, that is all you need. I've taken friends to yoga classes who spend a lot of time lifting in the gym and they couldn't keep up. Yoga is NOT for the weak. It is difficult. It isolates muscle groups. Its great for the soul. I recommend yoga.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:16 AM

2,319 posts, read 3,050,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You try holding a plank or chair pose for 3 or 4 minutes and get back to me.

Exactly.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:29 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,637,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
Exactly.
le sigh.

I agree Yoga can be difficult, but as far as building muscle and strength it's no comparison to barbell training. Sorry. You only ever have your own body weight in yoga, you can't ever conjure up more. Our muscles respond to increasing loads by increasing muscle mass, which means your body can only take you so far.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
The subject heading in your post said you prefer running and yoga, but I didn't notice a mention of yoga in your original post. If you really practice yoga, that is all you need. I've taken friends to yoga classes who spend a lot of time lifting in the gym and they couldn't keep up. Yoga is NOT for the weak. It is difficult. It isolates muscle groups. Its great for the soul. I recommend yoga.
Are you serious? How can some members here seriously not comprehend the differences here?

Let me make this very clear:

Just because someone is able to do one thing, and not the other, it doesn't mean that the more difficult for them, is more ideal in reaching their own personal goals.

Just because you can do yoga, and a weight lifter can't, does it mean you can bench press as much? You can squat as much, leg press, dead lift? NO!

Just because you can do yoga, and say a marathon runner can't, does that mean that you can go run a marathon just as well, because he can't do yoga?

The OP asked about BUILDING MUSCLE. What is the ideal way to build muscle? WEIGHT LIFTING. If you honestly think YOGA, is the best way to build muscle, you need to pick up some books, go back to school, do some research.

Here, let me google this for ALL of you that seem confused: https://www.google.com/#q=what+is+th...o+build+muscle

How many of those say Yoga? None...

I'm not saying you can't build muscle at ALL with yoga, but it is not the most efficient and the max out point is FAR less than weight lifting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness