Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 10:43 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever done one? I am thinning about it. Plan to do a 5k in a month or two,and thought it might be a fun fall challenge if I can figure out the hair situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 02:58 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,004 times
Yes I did a few. They were off road (XTERRA) ones in Lake Tahoe and elsewhere, a few years ago. The sprint level in the neighborhood of a 5k run, 10 mile ride and whatever the swim equivalent was. On year I did a version that was double the distance of everything but I didn't like that as much because it was just 2x laps as opposed to a longer course. It was challenging and fun to be in the outdoors in such a way, but I found it to be pretty over-competitive for a race where 1st prize was a t-shirt. But I was used to much lower key events at the time so maybe it wasn't that competitive in a relative sense. In any case, it's a big turn-off to me when I see people littering and nearly trampling hikers on a National Forest trail for the sake of their finishing time. I was sort of embarrassed to be a part of it so I don't do them anymore, even though they were a lot of fun.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:01 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
I have done a couple. Get your swimming down. If you can, go to the course before the event and see what you are dealing with. Do you need a wetsuit? Are there hills?
My first one was in water 52 degrees and the outside temp was 53. It was cold. The bike course was 13 miles all hills. I checked out the course 3 weeks before hand and when I saw the hills my focus on training was biking hills. It saved me.
They are a lot of fun. Your hair should be the least of your concerns.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:02 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
I don't get the hair thing.

The swim is usually the toughest part for most. It was for me too. I'm primarily a cyclist so that part was cake. That part is also unfortunately where the least time can be had. Run was no big deal either since that's easy to train for - no special equipment needed that is. Problem with it is that they are so expensive to participate in, one really has to decide if it's worth it to them. You can rent a wetsuit, but that ain't cheap neither.

I assume the swim portion is open water? You ever swim in open water? Big difference between that and doing laps in a pool. Even bigger considering all the feet and hands flapping around you. I swam a decent amount in a lap pool, then did the practice swim in open water, mucho different. And when the horn sounded for the start, it was a bit of mayhem.just wrap your head around trying not to panic and needing to be saved, it can be chaotic.

You are probably at the stage where you will be trying to finish rather than make a race of it, so concentrate on getting through the swim and the rest will be ok.

Best of luck and have fun.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:59 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
I did one and liked it. The swimming part is the hardest IMO. You get bumped and kicked. You really need to be a strong swimmer. It's an amazing thing to complete!

Old 03-31-2014, 11:53 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
They are a lot of fun. Your hair should be the least of your concerns.
My hair is relaxed and fragile. Aka swimming in chlorine on a regular basis isn't really a great idea. Lots of extra wear and tear for my delicate hair. My hair doesn't really hold up well to frequent washing.

I don't swim often. I can make it across the pool a few times, but haven't tried any sort of distance.

I am not particularly concerned with time, and I haven't picked a race but there are 2 in September nearby. The one in my city has a lake swim (the water is never warm, and a wetsuit is required) and I think a fairly flat city course. There is another one in a nearby city, but I don't know the details on the route. And another one that is even shorter than a print, in a pool and on the track. That sounds a little boring.

I think the fees are about $50-75.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:24 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
My hair is relaxed and fragile. Aka swimming in chlorine on a regular basis isn't really a great idea. Lots of extra wear and tear for my delicate hair. My hair doesn't really hold up well to frequent washing.

I don't swim often. I can make it across the pool a few times, but haven't tried any sort of distance.

I am not particularly concerned with time, and I haven't picked a race but there are 2 in September nearby. The one in my city has a lake swim (the water is never warm, and a wetsuit is required) and I think a fairly flat city course. There is another one in a nearby city, but I don't know the details on the route. And another one that is even shorter than a print, in a pool and on the track. That sounds a little boring.

Depending on where you live, you can do your training in open water. This gives you an advantage, actually as you then learn/practice things like sighting which you need to do in open water and don't do in the pool. You will also get comfortable with little things that can freak some people out, like swimming in turbid water or where you can't see the bottom.

Even if you do do the majority of your training in the pool, getting out for a few practice swims is recommended so you can test your wetsuit if you wear one (wetsuits provide bouancy,so it can change your position in the water), get comfortable in open water, etc. It will also give you an opportunity to put on/take off your wetsuit, address and rub spots you get from it, etc.

Good luck!

Old 04-01-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

I have fine hair as well. If you swim in a pool get your hair wet BEFORE you get in the water. That is really important. When you shower after use a good conditioner.
Making across the pool 'a few times' is not going to cut it. Most Sprints are 1/2 mile swim. You need to train for that or just forget about doing it. You do not want to get into that water without knowing you have the stamina to finish. Swimming will kick your ass. I suggest taking a masters swim class. It will improve your technique, your stamina and teach you a variety of strokes you can use.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:48 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Making across the pool 'a few times' is not going to cut it. Most Sprints are 1/2 mile swim. You need to train for that or just forget about doing it. You do not want to get into that water without knowing you have the stamina to finish. Swimming will kick your ass. I suggest taking a masters swim class. It will improve your technique, your stamina and teach you a variety of strokes you can use.
Before I did my first tri's I listened to all the advice about taking masters' swim classes, training for longer distances, maximizing your stamina, working on your technique… I did my best to apply it all but it made little difference on race day because it was very apparent that I was 'racing' against people who had done many trio's and/or trained a lot more and that all my 'training' was insignificant in comparison. So I just let them all swim over me, got to the very back where the non-alpha people are and took my time focusing on just staying calm and finishing. I was in dead last by the end of that section but when I reached the beach I heard more applause than I've ever received for anything in my life.

So the important thing is to just have realistic expectations and do your best to enjoy it and finish it. Even if you start the race in dead last, you will probably pass up 10-20 % of the people just by crossing the finish line. Beyond that, the other thing that may be really beneficial is what Broadbill said. If possible, get yourself at least some experience swimming in open water, preferably if it's cold, dark and turbid, because that's probably what you will face on race day. That will help you feel a lot calmer, and therefore be safer, when you're in that water getting pummeled by hundreds of over-eager tri people who tend to have a lot more energy than brains at the start of a race.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:38 AM

The masters swim class helped my confidence immensely because I was terrified of the swim portion. I had some experience swimming in open water, and I even went to the race area and swam there. But, you are right, nothing gets you ready for the madness at the beginning of the race. But since I had more confidence in my swimming ability I did not panic, I just kept going. I was not racing I just wanted to finish as well. But to my astonishment I did great time in the water and I was not fatigued. I credit that to my masters swim class and swimming at least 3 days a week.
My biggest problem was that the water was so cold my hands were numb and my transition time was terrible because I could not grasp anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness